OT: HF Jets Lounge | Flying snowmobiles at the Grey Cup in Regina? Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Funny, I heard that dry cold is much better than moist cold. I'm surprised you'd say otherwise.

Dry cold is usually better, but dryness to the point where your skin is cracking and you're getting nosebleeds isn't fun.

The best thing about dry colds is that you can typically dress for them. Damp colds? Not so much. -15 in Quebec City feels like -30 here, just because of the moisture in the air.

Puckschmuck*

Only in Canada do we fight over the colder city. Who cares... anything colder than -20 is freaking COLD and you should be asking yourself, why do I live in this place. ( Typing while looking out my window at -47 wind chill )

And if you want to compare.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/russia/yakutsk

This is a city of 270,000 people, not some hunting shack in the north. Check out their temps for the next 15 days and stop your fighting. :nod:

I recently heard that after three years of analyzing thermal maps and other weather analysis, someplace in Antarctica has set a new record for coldest temperature ever recorded at -93.2C (air temperature) back in August of 2010.

Things can always be worse.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Dry cold is usually better, but dryness to the point where your skin is cracking and you're getting nosebleeds isn't fun.

The best thing about dry colds is that you can typically dress for them. Damp colds? Not so much. -15 in Quebec City feels like -30 here, just because of the moisture in the air.

I don't know how much the relative humidity outdoors causes chapping and nosebleeds as much as the fact that we have to heat up that cold outdoor air. When you take air that's -30C with 75% RH and heat it to +20C the RH drops to less than 10%.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I don't mind the cold either, and I work outside most of the winter. What I hate is what it does to all our equipment. We have $300,000 pieces of equipment designed in Florida and California and then expect them to work fine in -40 degree weather.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I heard on the news that United Airlines cancelled all its flights into Winnipeg because it was too cold for their planes.

Wimps!

Puckschmuck*

I heard on the news that United Airlines cancelled all its flights into Winnipeg because it was too cold for their planes.

Wimps!

I hope they cancelled any flights to and from Thunder Bay and Saskatoon as well, because it's been just as cold there as well :shakehead

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Happy New Year, fellow Jets fans! As a New Year resolution, I am not even going to consider spending less time on here. Even though some of the discussions go on forever, you're a fun bunch!

Hoping for a bit more success in 2014!

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I hope they cancelled any flights to and from Thunder Bay and Saskatoon as well, because it's been just as cold there as well :shakehead

Thunder Bay had some pretty huge delays yesterday. The diesel in there only de-icing truck jelled up and they could not get it started lol. We throw our anti-idle policy out the window in winter.

Air Canada not trusting the cold here either. They are running their planes APUs all night costing them about 400$ an hour in Jet A1.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Nothing wrong with cold steak! I hate microwaving leftover steak, just ruins it.

I usually BBQ it medium rare so I can throw the leftovers on a piece of toast with some shredded cheese on top and after a minute in the microwave it's perfect.

I had a smoked rib eye at Chop last night. OMFG. Would not microwave that one. Mind you, there were no leftovers. :)

Happy New Year!!

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
I usually BBQ it medium rare so I can throw the leftovers on a piece of toast with some shredded cheese on top and after a minute in the microwave it's perfect.

I had a smoked rib eye at Chop last night. OMFG. Would not microwave that one. Mind you, there were no leftovers. :)

Happy New Year!!

What I'll do is slice it up, put it on a piece of bread with some mayo and spicy mustard, broil it with another piece of bread and toss on some mushrooms, onions and cheese (if I have some). When the cheese has melted I take it out and eat it. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad