OT: HF Jets Lounge | Flying snowmobiles at the Grey Cup in Regina? Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Anyone have problems with Xbox live when you are on Netflix? It logs me off every so often, sometimes it won't do it, sometimes every 5 miniutes. It dosent do this in games and it connects easily after it logs off. Anyone have any ideas?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thoughts and prayers are with Michael Schmacher and I hope their is a miracle in store for him.

7 time formula one champ is one of the truely gifted drivers of all time.

Brutal news.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Thoughts and prayers are with Michael Schmacher and I hope their is a miracle in store for him.

7 time formula one champ is one of the truely gifted drivers of all time.

Brutal news.

Agree: I've watched him in F1 since he debuted. Terrible news - best wishes his way from my end.

I still have fond memories of the Villeneuve - Schumacher duel for the WDC. Incredible year of racing, that was - the tactician vs. the seat of the pants, slightly crazy Quebecois.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
No it's not. Winnipeg uses more salt on the roads in comparison to the Alberta cities, where sand dominates. That is why half the cars in Alberta have cracked windshields; because of the amount of sand used in the winter.

We salt, but not like the east. It mostly too cold here mid winter for salt to have any effect.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree: I've watched him in F1 since he debuted. Terrible news - best wishes his way from my end.

I still have fond memories of the Villeneuve - Schumacher duel for the WDC. Incredible year of racing, that was - the tactician vs. the seat of the pants, slightly crazy Quebecois.

I remember the race where Villeneuve passed Schumacher on the dirty part of the track to win a big race.

Hard to believe Michael is battling for his life from an accident while skiing with a helmet on when he spent so many years racing at 200 MPH?

I am thinking about his son tonight too because he was skiing with his dad when this accident happened.... I can't imagine that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, I was fooling around with weather.com and came across something that I couldn't help but ask. I compared Winnipeg to Anchorage and Edmonton, both to your north and they were FAR warmer. You guys have negative Fahrenheit high temperatures for the next 10 days except Friday when it'll be 15 degrees F (well below 0 C, but not crazy). That would probably the coldest day in years in NY. Tomorrow it's like -18 Fahrenheit high. Is that just a small sample or is Winnipeg abnormally cold compared to how far north it is? Is it just a cold wave (is that a thing?) or something? Is there some geographic reason for it being so much colder than Edmonton and Anchorage? Is Winnipeg the coldest city with an NHL team?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Hey guys, I was fooling around with weather.com and came across something that I couldn't help but ask. I compared Winnipeg to Anchorage and Edmonton, both to your north and they were FAR warmer. You guys have negative Fahrenheit high temperatures for the next 10 days except Friday when it'll be 15 degrees F (well below 0 C, but not crazy). That would probably the coldest day in years in NY. Tomorrow it's like -18 Fahrenheit high. Is that just a small sample or is Winnipeg abnormally cold compared to how far north it is? Is it just a cold wave (is that a thing?) or something? Is there some geographic reason for it being so much colder than Edmonton and Anchorage? Is Winnipeg the coldest city with an NHL team?

Oh I imagine we are the coldest NHL city. -50 with windchill I'm hearing for tomorrow evening. Welcome to Manitoba, -50 winters to +50 summers

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Yeah it's a property of our mid-continental location - too far from the oceans to get help moderating the temperatures (like in Anchorage), and the land is pretty flat so no real natural barriers to the Arctic air that swoops down from the north. Edmonton gets a bit of weak chinook effects - not nearly what Calgary gets, but of course Winnipeg gets none of that. Winnipeg gets hotter summers than those places too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah it's a property of our mid-continental location - too far from the oceans to get help moderating the temperatures (like in Anchorage), and the land is pretty flat so no real natural barriers to the Arctic air that swoops down from the north. Edmonton gets a bit of weak chinook effects - not nearly what Calgary gets, but of course Winnipeg gets none of that. Winnipeg gets hotter summers than those places too.

I thought the ocean had something to do with it. It took a while for me to find a city that's colder (it was up in northern Siberia, Omsk which is south of that city was warmer than Winnipeg by a lot).

I also heard that the summers are hot in Winnipeg. You get like 40 degrees celcius. In fact hotter than NY. How do you guys deal with it?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

you've made a false asseration here. that winnipeg is colder than edmonton. this is not true in any way. ive lived 5+ years in both cities edm is colder hands down. this is small sample bias.

thing about edm is that its a dry cold which makes it 20x worse. i ****ing HATE edm winters whereas i merely detest wpg winters. its way worse in edm.

cant comment on anchorage since ive never been there. its a reverse effect like pho spring vs wpg summer (from my experience. +30 in wpg and im dying. +30 in pho and its a mildly warm day.

as to a couple of comments NO edm doesnt get anything from chinooks. thats not true.

and yes +40 sucks ass i rarely leave my ac when that happens lol. still better than -40 though easily.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
On a funny note. Must have been quite a contrast for the old Thrashers players to move to Winnipeg from Atlanta.

Funny thing is that was an amazing winter when they moved here and pretty bizarre how seasonally mild it was all winter...........we are making up for it this year.

I lived in Edmonton for 4 years and it is easily as cold as Winnipeg.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Just tried the SAT practice test online (Spent like 3 hours! Time well spent!) and scored a 2070. First time I've tried it, so I should hopefully be able to raise it a bit as well. Now if I do raise it, I just need to win the national lottery once of twice, then I can apply for the top schools in the US!:laugh:

Though, granted, my grades from high school probably aren't high enough for that. And I would probably not get a letter of recommendation from my old high school either. Sometimes I wish that I could go back in time and kick my lazy ass and tell me to actually study in school. And work hard during the summer to get in shape for hockey season. And stop being such a dumbass overall.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Just tried the SAT practice test online (Spent like 3 hours! Time well spent!) and scored a 2070. First time I've tried it, so I should hopefully be able to raise it a bit as well. Now if I do raise it, I just need to win the national lottery once of twice, then I can apply for the top schools in the US!:laugh:

Though, granted, my grades from high school probably aren't high enough for that. And I would probably not get a letter of recommendation from my old high school either. Sometimes I wish that I could go back in time and kick my lazy ass and tell me to actually study in school. And work hard during the summer to get in shape for hockey season. And stop being such a dumbass overall.

Or it could be like the Manitoba education system which doesn't prep you for college/university at all.

Puckschmuck*

you've made a false asseration here. that winnipeg is colder than edmonton. this is not true in any way. ive lived 5+ years in both cities edm is colder hands down. this is small sample bias.

thing about edm is that its a dry cold which makes it 20x worse. i ****ing HATE edm winters whereas i merely detest wpg winters. its way worse in edm.

cant comment on anchorage since ive never been there. its a reverse effect like pho spring vs wpg summer (from my experience. +30 in wpg and im dying. +30 in pho and its a mildly warm day.

as to a couple of comments NO edm doesnt get anything from chinooks. thats not true.

I can attest to this as I lived in Edmonton for 7 years myself. In December 2009, the temperature, sans winchill, got down to -49C, with the windchill it felt closer to -60C. That made Edmonton the coldest place in the world for several hours until somewhere in Siberia got colder. Never ever have I seen that kind of cold in Winnipeg in my lifetime. Hell, just a few short weeks ago some little town SOUTH of Edmonton was the coldest place in the northern Hemisphere for several hours. And the summers in Edmonton are much cooler than in Winnipeg, and for me the weather played a huge factor on why I left Edmonton in the first place. Winnipeg goes occasionally get very brief mild spells where the temperature gets close to 0C or even a little above. It's not like it's -20C all winter long.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Winnipeg has colder winters than Edmonton. Climate data doesn't lie, average lows from Nov-Apr are clearly lower in Winnipeg.

We do, however, have hotter summers. Not that I'd consider that a boon, but it is true.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Winnipeg has colder winters than Edmonton. Climate data doesn't lie, average lows from Nov-Apr are clearly lower in Winnipeg.

We do, however, have hotter summers. Not that I'd consider that a boon, but it is true.

As I stated above, temperature alone far from tells the whole story. The dryness makes it feel so much colder, even when the temperature may be a couple of degrees warmer in Edmonton. I take Winnipeg's little bit colder to Edmonton's dry cold that FEELS colder as well as the irritation that comes with the extreme dryness (cracked lips, skin irritation, etc). It's something that REALLY bothered me about Edmonton compared to Winnipeg. The lack of sunlight in the Winter also REALLY bothered me (extra in the summer does not make up for it, IMO).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Garret is that you? ; Pulling out the advanced stats in the weather debate.

Lets put it this way after living in both places for a very good sample size......they are both brutal winter cities.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

and yes +40 sucks ass i rarely leave my ac when that happens lol. still better than -40 though easily.

Funny, I heard that dry cold is much better than moist cold. I'm surprised you'd say otherwise.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I can deal with almost any winter temperature until the wind whips in my face. When the tingly feeling starts in your cheeks and forehead it's time to run back inside. Luckily the bus driver knows me and stopped for me this morning when I was on the other side of the street or I would've just run back home and called it a day. :laugh:

I lived in northern Alberta for about 10 years as a kid and I find them about the same. My parents recently moved to Calgary now so at least when I visit in the winter I can look forward to some warmth.

Oh well, a month and a week until I'm drinking on a beach in Jamaica.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The "warm" winter that was mentioned here I heard was average 19 degrees F (if I remember correctly) high. If I got the number right, to put that number in perspective it's been YEARS since we had a high of 19 or lower even once in NYC. The temperature dips into freezing and there's some wind and I complain, btw.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Only in Canada do we fight over the colder city. Who cares... anything colder than -20 is freaking COLD and you should be asking yourself, why do I live in this place. ( Typing while looking out my window at -47 wind chill )

And if you want to compare.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/russia/yakutsk

This is a city of 270,000 people, not some hunting shack in the north. Check out their temps for the next 15 days and stop your fighting. :nod:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad