HF Devils Official ‘18-19 Ticket/Prudential Center Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Whenever this park thing actually opens I'd like to see them convert that outdoor screen into one giant screen. Honestly my only complaint about the arena when it first opened was that screen and how it looks stupid with the separations.

If they at least make it 1 screen we could even have some viewing parties outside there.... Preferably during playoff time.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Are we really arguing over a bridge/walkway right now? The season can't start soon enough.
I've heard arguments against "pedestrian walkways" in Newark for decades. And I tend to agree with them.

The only comparable ones I can think of are at the wfc in Tribeca - traversing the west side highway which makes 21 look like rt 9 in bayville - and the freakshow, formerly jehovah's witness headquarters in bk.

Outside of those I can't think of a single instance of a major metropolitan area in the northeast intentionally segregating a portion of the population from another.

JC didn't even have the balls to pull this nonsense during their rapid and aggressive gentrification

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm wondering if it will alleviate some of the traffic on 21. I'm guessing the people crossing slow it down a bit, even if they mostly obey the crossing signals.
You're talking about a grand total of maybe, maybe 2k people between 6 and 7PM.

It's a negligible impact for a city that size.

7th ave in front of the toilet - aka garden - deals just fine on game days with many more fans.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
who-wants-to-hear-a-story-about-a-bridge.jpg

Reactions: New Jersey Devils

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've heard arguments against "pedestrian walkways" in Newark for decades. And I tend to agree with them.

The only comparable ones I can think of are at the wfc in Tribeca - traversing the west side highway which makes 21 look like rt 9 in bayville - and the freakshow, formerly jehovah's witness headquarters in bk.

Outside of those I can't think of a single instance of a major metropolitan area in the northeast intentionally segregating a portion of the population from another.

JC didn't even have the balls to pull this nonsense during their rapid and aggressive gentrification
The high line?

I hope these guys are taking ques from that. Not just a walkway, but an elevated park.

As far as it keeping people off the streets between the walk from Penn to the Rock, I never take that time to visit a store. Is there even a store on the street betweeen the two?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The high line?

I hope these guys are taking ques from that. Not just a walkway, but an elevated park.

As far as it keeping people off the streets between the walk from Penn to the Rock, I never take that time to visit a store. Is there even a store on the street betweeen the two?

There was a store in the Gateway that sold Devils merchandise for a number of years, but sadly they closed last year.

Once Ironside opens they will have ground floor retail

Broad & Market area has lots of retail shops but not too many fans shop there.

Obviously many fans patronize the bars and restaurants on Edison Pl and Market St so Devils games generate a lot of foot traffic in the area.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There was a store in the Gateway that sold Devils merchandise for a number of years, but sadly they closed last year.

Once Ironside opens they will have ground floor retail

Broad & Market area has lots of retail shops but not too many fans shop there.

Obviously many fans patronize the bars and restaurants on Edison Pl and Market St so Devils games generate a lot of foot traffic in the area.
Is there retail on Market east of Broad?

In general I'm not looking to go shopping before going to a game anyways. Get something to eat? Get a Beer? Yes on both counts but I'm not going into a store to shop.

If they allowed street vendors I think that could work, I wouldn't have to go into a store, while the vendor could set up on game days and not pay rent for the other 320 days of the year, though I doubt the Devils would want that, as they prefer people buy from them.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Is there retail on Market east of Broad?

In general I'm not looking to go shopping before going to a game anyways. Get something to eat? Get a Beer? Yes on both counts but I'm not going into a store to shop.

If they allowed street vendors I think that could work, I wouldn't have to go into a store, while the vendor could set up on game days and not pay rent for the other 320 days of the year, though I doubt the Devils would want that, as they prefer people buy from them.

No retail or Market east of Broad, just eateries /bars

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The high line?

The highline already existed and was blight in the already thriving neighborhood.

I just don't see the point of elevating this project short of reasons I've already stated. The land is currently at street level.

Don't get me wrong, I hope my opinion is misguided and will be happier than devito to eat all of the crow available if it ends up being an actual boon for the town.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
my original comments were more about the office complex i dont think a pedestrian bridge matters one way or the other

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The highline already existed and was blight in the already thriving neighborhood.

I just don't see the point of elevating this project short of reasons I've already stated. The land is currently at street level.

Don't get me wrong, I hope my opinion is misguided and will be happier than devito to eat all of the crow available if it ends up being an actual boon for the town.
Oooh... Maybe it could be a super-sized replica of the old cow tunnel from the Meadowlands. A giant wooden floored bridge with tin sides stretching for blocks :)

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Oooh... Maybe it could be a super-sized replica of the old cow tunnel from the Meadowlands. A giant wooden floored bridge with tin sides stretching for blocks :)
I imagine there are prisons that feel more safe than that thing after a devils/rags game circa '99.

Or any jets game from the same era. GET THE MONEY!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I guess the point would be if your coming directly off the platforms there will be no street crossings at all which is pretty convenient. Not having to take the stairs, walk through penn station and then the street crossings, probably saves a couple minutes of walking. Would it keep people from shopping within Penn Station, and perhaps the Gateway crossing(I never go that way myself)? Yeah probably, but I don't think it effects "people in Newark" that much because as of now most just walk directly from Penn station, up Market, (a span in which there is literally nowhere to buy anything) and then into championship plaza. At which point they might select a bar.

Oddly the bridge, I would think, could potentially keep people from shopping at the potential retail/bar restaurants that would be in the refurbished building in the park.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenedictGomez

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I guess the point would be if your coming directly off the platforms there will be no street crossings at all which is pretty convenient. Not having to take the stairs, walk through penn station and then the street crossings, probably saves a couple minutes of walking. Would it keep people from shopping within Penn Station, and perhaps the Gateway crossing(I never go that way myself)? Yeah probably, but I don't think it effects "people in Newark" that much because as of now most just walk directly from Penn station, up Market, (a span in which there is literally nowhere to buy anything) and then into championship plaza. At which point they might select a bar.

Oddly the bridge, I would think, could potentially keep people from shopping at the potential retail/bar restaurants that would be in the refurbished building in the park.
Although I agree with most of your sentiment, it's not odd it's by design.

Newark has always been the outlier for the area when it comes to gentrification, modernization, development, or what have you. Many hoped the arena would help that, and it has. But with extremely limited scope and this planned "park" does nothing to help develop the existing or proposed surrounding community.

Explain to me how property values in ironbound or on broad st are going to increase? Many suburbanites couldn't tell you what language Brazilians speak, nevermind seeking out a proper churrascaria.

I'd vastly prefer it if Newark headed along a similar path (puns!) to JC, Brooklyn, Asbury, or western Queens. Not more obstructions to the city itself.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Newark has always been the outlier for the area when it comes to gentrification, modernization, development, or what have you. Many hoped the arena would help that, and it has. But with extremely limited scope and this planned "park" does nothing to help develop the existing or proposed surrounding community.

Explain to me how property values in ironbound or on broad st are going to increase? Many suburbanites couldn't tell you what language Brazilians speak, nevermind seeking out a proper churrascaria.

I'd vastly prefer it if Newark headed along a similar path (puns!) to JC, Brooklyn, Asbury, or western Queens. Not more obstructions to the city itself.

The biggest obstructors to the things you want see the City Council and most current residents in Newark.

Ras is in a tough spot, he wants progress with development and a safer more modern 24x7 downtown but he doesn't want to be perceived as a pro gentrification guy.

I think he genuinely wants Newarkers to get the jobs and benefit from progress but he also knows that it won't happen without outside money and from people moving into the city from the suburbs into new glitzy housing

Reactions: New Jersey

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The biggest obstructors to the things you want see the City Council and most current residents in Newark.

Ras is in a tough spot, he wants progress with development and a safer more modern 24x7 downtown but he doesn't want to be perceived as a pro gentrification guy.

I think he genuinely wants Newarkers to get the jobs and benefit from progress but he also knows that it won't happen without outside money and from people moving into the city from the suburbs into new glitzy housing
It ALWAYS comes from "outside" money. There's just a responsible and appropriate way to allocate it. And I happen to think that Baraka and Booker went about it the wrong way.

Brooklyn is the closest comparable - imo - given the proximity to Manhattan, violent crime, public transportation hubs, and "outside" investors of arenas. And you can't even really call jvb an outsider, hence the quotations.

What Newark needs is what is occurring in the aforementioned areas, and that's organic development. Not Mars Corp and Josh Harris. Did dino take a flyer and win? Sure. But when you're dino you could have opened your first jersey spot in any number of towns in NJ and succeeded.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It ALWAYS comes from "outside" money. There's just a responsible and appropriate way to allocate it. And I happen to think that Baraka and Booker went about it the wrong way.

Brooklyn is the closest comparable - imo - given the proximity to Manhattan, violent crime, public transportation hubs, and "outside" investors of arenas. And you can't even really call jvb an outsider, hence the quotations.

What Newark needs is what is occurring in the aforementioned areas, and that's organic development. Not Mars Corp and Josh Harris. Did dino take a flyer and win? Sure. But when you're dino you could have opened your first jersey spot in any number of towns in NJ and succeeded.

Ras has been better than Booker, he's also more chummy with HBSE

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

To follow up on this point, if the goal is to have no one touch the streets of Newark and to exit trains with an elevated 30 million dollar walkway to Edison and Mulberry, fine. Let Amtrak, NJT, and PATH pay for it.

Reactions: Patrik26

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Are there any eateries on Market between Penn and Pru? That walk is a whole lot of nothing.

Very excited about the park, and potentially the bridge.
The walk is a whole lot of nothing by design. And these ideas are a whole lot of the same old. I firmly believe this generation can change that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To follow up on this point, if the goal is to have no one touch the streets of Newark and to exit trains with an elevated 30 million dollar walkway to Edison and Mulberry, fine. Let Amtrak, NJT, and PATH pay for it.
Who said the goal is to have no one touch the streets?

As for whether or not it's worth the price tag? I'll prob agree on that. The bridge might be pretty cool, probably would be more convenient, but the park itself would be sufficient.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The walk is a whole lot of nothing by design. And these ideas are a whole lot of the same old. I firmly believe this generation can change that.
Do you like the park? Or is it just the bridge that is the issue?

Right now the area is a parking lot and a unoccupied building, soon it will be a park and an occupied building. Maybe a bridge I don't know, but a clear upgrade either way. I don't see the complaint.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Sure it does.

It gives people a safer perception,
a walkway from Newark Penn to Mulberry, they won't have to cross the busy Route 21.

More people will walk out of Newark Penn now.

Again, this makes absolutely zero sense.

How are MORE people going to walk OUT of Newark Penn "now", once there's a brand new, spotlessly clean, bridge, that takes them directly to and from Prudential Center without having to "walk out" of Newark Penn?

up-is-down2.png

Newark has always been the outlier for the area when it comes to gentrification, modernization, development, or what have you. Many hoped the arena would help that, and it has.

Not really. Well, maybe naive people, but anyone steeped in the numerous prior examples of precisely this same "myth" or who has a sense of economics predicted Prudential Center wasn't going to reshape Newark.

I wrote about this as some of my first comments on this board. In 2007 there were posters here who thought The Rock would totally transform Newark, etc.... completely buying into the politicians and construction companies synced blather necessary to get shovels into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce