Hextall's next move

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Morin is really going to have to step up the physical element to his game next year. I am assuming he starts in the nhl and if he does he is going to make it in this league by playing tough minutes, being a great pker and fighting.

He'll definitely get into his share of fights, but he shouldn't be put into the role of enforcer as a rookie. Fighting already has little meaning in today's game and he should just focus on playing a shutdown role.

They have more than enough guys on the team/coming up that are tough to play against, that's all you need in this era.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But I must admit, I would be quite happy to see him knock out Wilson when we meet Washington.

Or ragdoll some little puke who hides behind the refs.

nvme90

Feb 16, 2017
Maryland
Literally can't believe we're having a conversation about toughness, penalty minutes and fighting after watching a Pens and Preds Stanley Cup. What has being tough done for teams like Washington, St Louis and Anaheim?

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I don't care about fighting. I just want a team who sticks up for each other regardless of their size. Like when Jake fights for his teammate even though he is a terrible fighter. That come with cohesion and playing in important games together.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Fighting is barely even a part of the NHL game anymore. Toughness in today's league is about throwing big hits, taking the body, and not being afraid to go into the tough areas of the ice and sacrifice your own body to make plays.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Fighting is barely even a part of the NHL game anymore. Toughness in today's league is about throwing big hits, taking the body, and not being afraid to go into the tough areas of the ice and sacrifice your own body to make plays.

You left out the most important.... You have to stick up for your teammates and sometimes that means giving someone a beat down. You NEED these guys or your more fragile skaters out there are definitely going to subject to attempted liberties against them more often.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Yep, like watching the Pens Preds finals, no fights, lots of hitting and battles in the corners and guys getting wacked in front of the net (you can hate Sidney but the man took a beating and never backed down).

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Yep, like watching the Pens Preds finals, no fights, lots of hitting and battles in the corners and guys getting wacked in front of the net (you can hate Sidney but the man took a beating and never backed down).

Playoffs are a different animal. Everyone lays it all out. Its during the season that it helps that your more fragile players aren't always having to think about getting run by knuckleheads or other intimidation types.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I doubt any noted heavyweight is shaking in fear of Morin arriving in the NHL soon.

Which noted heavyweights are you talking about? League has pretty much made those players extinct. The heavyweights are in the AHL and Morin had done well against more experienced true heavyweights. The fight card will be significantly lighter at the NHL level. Morin will be feared imo if he becomes a regular top 6 dman

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You left out the most important.... You have to stick up for your teammates and sometimes that means giving someone a beat down. You NEED these guys or your more fragile skaters out there are definitely going to subject to attempted liberties against them more often.

I respectfully disagree. I am a person who grew up watching the NHL in the 90's and loved the enforcers of the league. Joey Kocur, Bob Probert, Tony Twist, Donald Brashear, Georges Laraque, Tie Domi, etc etc. The days of what you mentioned being a factor are pretty much over though. Sad as it is teams are better off turning the other cheek and getting a power play.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Which noted heavyweights are you talking about? League has pretty much made those players extinct. The heavyweights are in the AHL and Morin had done well against more experienced true heavyweights. The fight card will be significantly lighter at the NHL level. Morin will be feared imo if he becomes a regular top 6 dman

Yep.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Playoffs are a different animal. Everyone lays it all out. Its during the season that it helps that your more fragile players aren't always having to think about getting run by knuckleheads or other intimidation types.

Exactly, and most teams don't fight in the play-offs but a toughnes still need to be there throughout the year as well as into play-offs. We have to many guys that get knocked around all year even when they are the one trying to lay the hit, they end up on their arse.

Nothing was more telling or embarrassing as watching Edmonton run Manning all game long and no support or sticking up for their teammate. That's a major problem whether some of you want to accept it or not. Why did Pittsburgh go get Reaves...Rutherford said tired of guys taking liberties with his stars. ( laughable since his stars are some of the dirtiest in the league)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad