Hextall's next move

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
The draft is almost complete and we've seen Hexy trade away Schenn (was good with getting rid of him) and pick up some decent prospects. But some questions do pop up for us to even look like a playoff team this season

1) We are in desperate need of a quality Top 4 veteran dmen. Whats his plan and it better not be playing AMAC 20 minutes+ a night

2) Who's our number #1 goalie

3) Why in god's name are you trying to have a monopoly on 3rd line overpaid centermen and 3/4th line overpaid wingers. First you give Yzerman a gift in taking a huge contract in Flip and now Lehtera combined with Couts . I'm struggling with this... what's your plan because it sure as hell doesn't make sense. I like all 3 players in that 3c role IF they were on different teams... Why would you take all 3 on the same team especially when you need to find room for Laughton.??

This team could be a serious contender sooner then later but these moves are baffling to say the least. G, Voracek and Simmonds are wasting a way another season if you don't address the top 4 d concerns and the #1 Goalie issue. We all want to support Hexy but he needs to address these issues or will be looking at another frustrating lottery pick and that should be unacceptable especially after a gift like Patrick lands on your feet

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
The draft is almost complete and we've seen Hexy trade away Schenn (was good with getting rid of him) and pick up some decent prospects. But some questions do pop up for us to even look like a playoff team this season

1) We are in desperate need of a quality Top 4 veteran dmen. Whats his plan and it better not be playing AMAC 20 minutes+ a night

2) Who's our number #1 goalie

3) Why in god's name are you trying to have a monopoly on 3rd line overpaid centermen and 3/4th line overpaid wingers. First you give Yzerman a gift in taking a huge contract in Flip and now Lehtera combined with Couts . I'm struggling with this... what's your plan because it sure as hell doesn't make sense. I like all 3 players in that 3c role IF they were on different teams... Why would you take all 3 on the same team especially when you need to find room for Laughton.??

This team could be a serious contender sooner then later but these moves are baffling to say the least. G, Voracek and Simmonds are wasting a way another season if you don't address the top 4 d concerns and the #1 Goalie issue. We all want to support Hexy but he needs to address these issues or will be looking at another frustrating lottery pick and that should be unacceptable especially after a gift like Patrick lands on your feet

we don't need a Dman. we have 2 spots open with Morin, Hagg and Sanheim all fighting for one.

too early to get too concerned over the roster. it's not even july 1st yet.

main need is a goalie. and sign a couple guys like Weal. that's it mostly. i imagine at least one bottom 6 forward will be traded by September as well.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Draft is over now, definitely time to talk about this.

A trade for a goalie is looking less and less likely. I am definitely expecting Jonathan Bernier in free agency at this point.

Also, I don't expect any major moves from here on out though I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal away a 3rd/4th line forward as there is still a bit of glut of those guys on the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's a reason Hextall drafted another goalie, he knows its a crapshoot, now he has two AHL guys, two top prospects who'll be in the AHL next year, Tomek and Ustimenko in the pipeline and Fedetov as a longshot.

Any goalie we pick up will be a patch, the long-term solution is in the system.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I would love to get Justin Williams (I'd like Jagr but I know that is pointless).

I also would like to see Bernier on a 2 year deal.

Other than that, I don't think they should do anything. It is going to be a year of growth with many young defensemen. No reason to try to get any major signing.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'm really interested in Galchenyuk for futures. Depending on the contract, could be worth parting with the two 2018 firsts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bernier does not suck.
You need to do a better job hiding your dislike for Ducks players as a Kings fan:laugh:

He seems to be like a guy who was good for a month or two and that was it, and was bad for the two years before that. Should be aiming higher.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He seems to be like a guy who was good for a month or two and that was it, and was bad for the two years before that. Should be aiming higher.

I agree they should be aiming higher. but without him the Ducks dont win the Pacific. He carried them when Gibson went down. I dont think he is a starting goaltender, but in the right situation he would be fine. Again, he isnt my first choice but I dont think he sucks by any means.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
The Flyers and Habs dont make good trade partners. Yeah the Flyers have space but they cant add another high priced forward without one going the other way. Not with the players they have coming in internally and they need a starting goaltender.

You don't think Montreal would take 2 1sts for Galchenyuk? They lack the pieces right now to acquire a C.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/

You guys weren't kidding about the crop of goalie FAs being uninspiring. Yikes.

I really don't want Bernier. If i had to pick one from this group other than Mase, i guess either Elliott (for no more than 1 year) or Kinkaid would be my preference.

I would like Miller or my second choice would be Bernier (unless Mase will come back but I doubt that will happen)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad