Hextall's next move

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Grubauer would be my target, I've been clear before that I prefer to exhaust the trade market. Grubauer would be my top target, and the Capitals are a good target since they lack draft picks

I like Grubauer too but I think the time to trade for him came and went with the draft. Not so sure the Capitals want picks in next year's draft for him, nor would they be in a hurry to trade him to an eastern conference team. That being said, I would also prefer him to Bernier.

If you are strictly looking at the FA market though, there is nobody who is clearly head and shoulders above Bernier and that includes Mason. I would rank Mason as the best FA goalie and Bernier second but the gap isn't all that big in my opinion. Just my opinion but Mason is a slightly above average starting goalie in this league who some fans have convinced themselves into believing is much better than that.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Well this is... interesting.

I mean, it was a given they were signing or trading for a vet goalie, but still.

... To me it was even less of an endorsement of Neuvy.

I get it that he signed the lower of his two Goalies to an extension to protect Stolie in the ED... but if Hexy is that concerned about his injury history and expectation, why even bother? If he cannot be trusted to stay in the lineup... and i fully agree that he can't... why even put yourself/your Team in that situation?

So they trade or sign for a new #1 and divvy up the Games between the... and Neuvy goes down, as he will... what then? You bring up Stolie to rot on the bench as the #1 gets burnt up getting the Flyers their needed Points for the PostSeason dance?

It is a lumpy bed Hexy made for himself here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's been obvious Hextall was going to get another veteran goalie for 17-18 ever since he signed Neuvirth.There's nothing new here, and there are a lot of goalie options out there in free agency or by trade.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
But there is that within Division crap to consider... Would they do it?

Depends how they value the assets and player. I don't think in this case it would be a big deal, if you trade them a 2nd + 5th or something, it helps them too.

I like Grubauer too but I think the time to trade for him came and went with the draft. Not so sure the Capitals want picks in next year's draft for him, nor would they be in a hurry to trade him to an eastern conference team. That being said, I would also prefer him to Bernier.

If you are strictly looking at the FA market though, there is nobody who is clearly head and shoulders above Bernier and that includes Mason. I would rank Mason as the best FA goalie and Bernier second but the gap isn't all that big in my opinion. Just my opinion but Mason is a slightly above average starting goalie in this league who some fans have convinced themselves into believing is much better than that.

Don't think so. If you trade them picks for next year, they can use them at the trade deadline.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not a believer in Nilsson. Definitely not more than one year. He's only had one good year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think what Hextall is saying is Stolarz has made progress, but not as much as we hoped, but the potential is there. So we'd like to leave him in the AHL for another year, and if he progresses as we hoped, he can be brought up at some point and given a shot.

Both Lyon and Stolarz are in their "sink or swim" seasons, and I can see one or both traded for late round picks if Hextall doesn't see them as NHL material with Hart and Sandstrom on the way in 2018-19.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The quotes from Hextall on Stolarz are nothing new. He was asked about a potential Neuvirth/Stolarz duo at his end of season PC and pretty much came right out and said that isn't going to happen.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Honestly Ryan Miller would be great on a 1-2 year deal. Veteran presence and still solid enough.

Ryan Miller would be my first or second choice but everyone seems to be 100% convinced he will stay out west and maybe sign with a California team due to his actress wife living in LA. If, in a surprise move he ended up signing with the Flyers I would be pretty happy. I have always been a big fan of his.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Galchenyuk? Christ, why?

Team needs:

1. Goaltender
2. Sign Weal
3. Acquire a physical checking winger (believe it or not, I wouldn't mind Chris Neil for a year) - I know it's 2017 but this team has ZERO physical presence upfront other than Simmonds

Once Hextall does these three things, he can head to Hawaii until September for all I care.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Galchenyuk? Christ, why?

Team needs:

1. Goaltender
2. Sign Weal
3. Acquire a physical checking winger (believe it or not, I wouldn't mind Chris Neil for a year) - I know it's 2017 but this team has ZERO physical presence upfront other than Simmonds

Once Hextall does these three things, he can head to Hawaii until September for all I care.

Rather have Galchenyuk as a top 6 LW than Weal, even at the expense of firsts. Team needs ES goals way more than "grit". Chris Neil should retire

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It would be worth getting Galchenyuk just because we'd rip Bergevin a new one in the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad