Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2023-24 Seasons | Hershey 12x (and Defending) Champions Edition

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That’s great to hear. Does he have the size and athletic ability to be a potential #1 in he NHL? I haven’t really had a chance to watch him play yet.
Even if he doesn't, I'm not so tied to the size thing. I'm sure there's a limit but Juuse Saros has been out there doing his thing for a while now without falling to pieces, I think it's probably okay if the goalie is okay.

If that sounds funny on the back of all this Phillips talk, well, nobody's allowed to touch the goalies anyway so as long as you're good you might just... be good.

granted Stevenson is something like 6'4" so no problems there but yeah, I'd take a small goalie if they keep stopping pucks and aren't crap on rebounds. Don't care how, just how many. It'd be like passing up on Hasek because he looks funny.

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Even if he doesn't, I'm not so tied to the size thing. I'm sure there's a limit but Juuse Saros has been out there doing his thing for a while now without falling to pieces, I think it's probably okay if the goalie is okay.

If that sounds funny on the back of all this Phillips talk, well, nobody's allowed to touch the goalies anyway so as long as you're good you might just... be good.

granted Stevenson is something like 6'4" so no problems there but yeah, I'd take a small goalie if they keep stopping pucks and aren't crap on rebounds. Don't care how, just how many. It'd be like passing up on Hasek because he looks funny.
Fair enough, and 6’4” is plenty big. Was curious if there was some physical reason why he wasn’t drafted. Just seems like the modern game is so fast that goalies can’t get by as much reacting to shots, and need their size to bail them out. Not everyone can be Saros. I mean take Shep - as good as he’s been for the Bears, at his his size, he just doesn’t scream NHL starter imho (happy to be wrong).

The trend appears to be teams finding huge dudes that take up as much of the net as possible and slapping some goalie pads on them, lol.

So seeing that Clay is putting up these numbers AND has prototypical size is just that much more exciting.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Clay has been fantastic. He is 24, and goes 6’4 195. CapFriendly didn’t have a scouting report on him. I remember is a was a big deal we signed him out of college. Similar to Aktel and Frank.

Also didn’t realize that Shepherd is under contract next year as well and is 28.

Gibby and Clay both 24 and RFA after this season. Plus Garin and Clark. We have some good talent at Goalie. Probably can get value for Chucky. Would prefer to move Keumper and his salary. But we have some options.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Fair enough, and 6’4” is plenty big. Was curious if there was some physical reason why he wasn’t drafted. Just seems like the modern game is so fast that goalies can’t get by as much reacting to shots, and need their size to bail them out. Not everyone can be Saros. I mean take Shep - as good as he’s been for the Bears, at his his size, he just doesn’t scream NHL starter imho (happy to be wrong).

The trend appears to be teams finding huge dudes that take up as much of the net as possible and slapping some goalie pads on them, lol.

So seeing that Clay is putting up these numbers AND has prototypical size is just that much more exciting.
Shep could be an NHL backup at best. His time in the AHL is suffering this season in terms of GAA and SV%. I'm not sure if his limitation are finally catching up to him or he's not as engaged playing in the AHL because he wants to play in the NHL.

Clay has been fantastic. He is 24, and goes 6’4 195. CapFriendly didn’t have a scouting report on him. I remember is a was a big deal we signed him out of college. Similar to Aktel and Frank.

Also didn’t realize that Shepherd is under contract next year as well and is 28.

Gibby and Clay both 24 and RFA after this season. Plus Garin and Clark. We have some good talent at Goalie. Probably can get value for Chucky. Would prefer to move Keumper and his salary. But we have some options.
I would be furious if they traded Chucky away! He's been the Caps MVP in this first quarter of the season.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
To be fair I don’t want to trade Chucky. But at 1.1M and term he is pretty damn attractive right now. And probably at TDL. If we try to stack assets at TDL, he is in play for me. If we are in the hunt then all bets off.

In order of trade preferences: Keumper, Shepherd, Gibson, Clay, Chucky.

Value in trade: Chucky, Keumper, Shepherd. Don’t think Clay or Gibson are really trade candidates.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Really poor game from Haman Aktell. I haven't followed his Hershey journey that closely but perhaps that is why they are so interested in Bear?

Watched 2 of the goals right next to the eventual goalscorer and in the 2nd goal both him and McIlrath went to hit the same guy causing both of them being way out of position.

Lapierre looked really good though. SHG and him and Dube created a really good chance from Dube's hit, empty-net yawning right at Miro but the D managed to poke the puck out in front of him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
That’s too bad to hear about Aktell. he is a lefty so has no bearing on Bear being signed.

We are going to have to look seriously at Dee in the draft the next couple of years. Next year 1st and 3rd. In 2025 a first and 3 2nd’s. Plus anything we might add this year.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Saw him bark at Sutter first. Then McIlrath. Wonder what was said!
Yeah, after he went at Shep, he tangled up with Sutter first, then Shep gave a shot back, then Mac came in to play peacekeeper and Jake had some teammates tugging on his sleeve to try and guide him back to the bench as he started yapping back, lol. Do feel bad for the guy though. Always liked him here.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I figured Dube would be a lowkey nice addition but he's exceeded my expectations even.
Yeah. Young at 22 and 3 years of waiver exempt status. He is small at 5’9 but who knows. He can score.

I think Trineyev is having a good (but quiet) season. He is strong and can bang but has that 3RW skill as well. he is only 21, but just one year left of waivers exempt. He isn’t NHL ready yet either but I am excited he can be a call up with roster potential after the old guys go.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe I was too harsh on first reports.
It is sad to see. He’s like the real life version of Xavier Laflamme from Goon. I’m a big sucker for the human interests side of sports and the redemption arcs so I would love to see Jake come back here and be reborn as the player everyone knows he can be but the way he left makes it unlikely in my opinion.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Great comparison, Jake has all the talent but other things are holding him back.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It is sad to see. He’s like the real life version of Xavier Laflamme from Goon. I’m a big sucker for the human interests side of sports and the redemption arcs so I would love to see Jake come back here and be reborn as the player everyone knows he can be but the way he left makes it unlikely in my opinion.
The kid can score. That’s for certain.

But it seems that franchises keep throwing him life lines. He probably needs to either step away for a while, or ride the AHL humble bus for a few months.

Trading for him now and adding him to the parent roster arguably won’t change any dynamics, at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad