Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2023-24 Seasons | Hershey 12x (and Defending) Champions Edition

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Really trying to not set myself up to be disappointed if he doesn’t immediately look fantastic in Hershey…
The fact that he didn't get much ice time in preseason makes me nervous. All the questions around his health are still in play. Falling off at the end of the season last year is a red flag. I'm not 100% what his contract situation was in Russia, but he was not expected to be here this soon, right? Seems like he got cut loose early... Obviously I don't have any real understanding of the situation, but I was hoping these lingering doubts would have been put to rest by now.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The fact that he didn't get much ice time in preseason makes me nervous. All the questions around his health are still in play. Falling off at the end of the season last year is a red flag. I'm not 100% what his contract situation was in Russia, but he was not expected to be here this soon, right? Seems like he got cut loose early... Obviously I don't have any real understanding of the situation, but I was hoping these lingering doubts would have been put to rest by now.
What in the world is all this? Sheesh, off the ledge for a second, some of this is really extreme for no reason.

Reactions: racingmoose

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
What in the world is all this? Sheesh, off the ledge for a second, some of this is really extreme for no reason.
It's not extreme. Just matter of fact. He didn't register a single point in the last 10 games and was scratched at least once to give him rest. He was under contract for another year, and they just let him go. I don't think it's unreasonable to have doubts given the circumstances.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
It's not extreme. Just matter of fact. He didn't register a single point in the last 10 games and was scratched at least once to give him rest. He was under contract for another year, and they just let him go. I don't think it's unreasonable to have doubts given the circumstances.
His contract was setup before that season to allow him to leave for the NHL if he chose. They couldn't keep him.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
His contract was setup before that season to allow him to leave for the NHL if he chose. They couldn't keep him.
Well, that's good to know. All the caps blogs (rmnb, nova caps, etc) were saying he had one more year under contract, and there didn't seem to be any speculation to that effect.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, they didn't let him go, he had an NHL out clause and probably took it in light of general politics at the very least, although he seems a lot like he's just NHL-minded and wants it.

We're talking about a kid who was still basically in the first calendar year or so of recovering from cancer. Not only is he trying to do his regular growing into an adult body, but he just had his body brought pretty low and wasn't playing in the meantime.

Of course they let him take breaks, readjust, etc., those are things you'd do even for a regular struggling young player. The strides he's made from "sick question mark" to "looks like an NHL player" are tremendous and frankly unless a doctor says outright "yeah, it's back" he looks like he's over the hump and only improving.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
a 20 year old in his first season in north america recovering from hodgkin’s lymphoma…if he’s healthy all season and shows off his wicked shot im satisfied (and i have confidence he will be able to do that)
Looking forward to seeing him live. I have only watched Russian feeds and his brief preseason NHL action. I'll be up for the weekend set the 28th-29th for my first visit of the year.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Lost 3-0, one was an ENG. Outplayed them for the vast majority of the game, shit luck tonight and Sogaard played like the NHL goalie he is for the Sens. Thoughts on some of the more intriguing up and comers.

Miro was easily Hershey's best forward. Tons of shot attempts and some great chances on net. Stopped on a breakaway and nearly got sprung for a second breakaway. Played the Ovi spot on PP2 and was just cranking shots from there every chance he got. Need to get them on net though, maybe too much corner picking. He was also physical, took a boarding call for being too physical. Fought really hard in board battles and won several of them. He's going to score some goals in Hershey this year. He looks physically capable of playing at this level from the jump.

Lappy looked good as well, he's got the McMichael treatment this year it seems. He's PPing, PKing and playing in important situations. Thought he looked fast with the puck on his stick and had some chemistry with Miro already. Also showed some toughness a couple times tonight.

Trineyev was very impressive. He played on the 4th line with Sutter and was the play driver on that line. He dished two really nice setups that we didn't follow through on. He looks lean but played strong on the boards.

Iorio looked good, he picked up right where he left off last season although I did notice him carrying the puck up ice a good bit more tonight than usual. Not sure if that's something they've asked him to do or just coincidence.

HHA looked steady and strong. He's already played against men for awhile and it tells. For him I don't see much of a struggle to transition to NA. Still really surprised he's in Hershey. Should have made the team out of camp. He hit a post early in the game. As close as we came to scoring.

Stevenson looked pretty good. He gave up a breakaway goal that just clicked off his gloves and in after stopping a breakaway chance a few minutes before. The second goal was coming off a 4th straight PK and several minutes of 5 on 3 PKing. One timer from the Ovi spot beat him. Good shot, probably wants it back but all in all he was solid. He's ready for the AHL.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I forgot this was on as I am in vegas this week.

Ethan Frank had a nice goal on the PP from OV office. Then had a nice assist for Veccicone. Iorio is looking good. Trienyev also looking good out there.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3