Speculation: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2019-2020 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bears played a very, very good game despite having to shift lines around with Sgarbossa out for undisclosed reasons. DiPietro stood on his head but a ton of Hershey’s shots were blocked or were pretty low quality. Vanecek played well in the limited action he faced. The goal he let up was a shot from Gaudette where he used Djoos as a screen and shot it between his legs, similar to what Ovechkin has done for years. Vanecek actually made 2 or 3 very good saves to keep the Bears in it early.

AA seemed to have a bit of an off night from the previous times I’ve seen him. He tried to make a big hip check on Bailey in the first period and got crushed (Bailey is big and very strong) and I wonder if there was an underlying injury the rest of the game. Seemed like he got rid of the puck quickly from there on out and was more focused on using the boards to get the puck out of the zone instead of retaining possession. Fever played well. He jumped into the play a bit, but I’d like to see him get involved in the offensive zone more. He has the wheels to do it. I thought LuJo played well and was a lot more physical throughout the game. You can tell he doesn’t shy away from clearing the net front like he used to. Also looks like he did add a good amount of weight to his frame this offseason when you see him up close compared to some of the other guys.

The Malenstyn-Pinho-AJF line was the Bears best line. They just absolutely disrupt the opposition on the forecheck and are an elite AHL shutdown line. Leason seems to be improving but you can tell he’s frustrated that he hasn’t been able to get his first goal. Possibly gripping the stick a little too hard at this point. He ended up getting benched in the third when Gersich moved from centering the 4th line, to playing the wing on the 3rd line with Liam and Pilon. Snively also was benched in the third. He’s another one that seems to be struggling a bit and was very unimpressive while being demoted to the fourth line.

Really want to see Moulson given quicker line mates. You can tell he has lost more than a step out on the ice which is to be expected given his age. Not sure why Whitney is still being gifted top line minutes and PP time. The guy should be in the ECHL. I really liked Kessy’s game. Very physical and had a solid fight sticking up for Fever who got rocked. Would like to see him get a sweater more often because he brings a bruising style of play.

Really need Panik healthy so Boyd can come back down. He just elevates the team so much and adds one more elite scoring threat that puts the Bears in the contender category

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I thought Lujo was very reactionary, almost a half second behind when defending quite a bit.

I think the Caps should trade him if he can play decent for any stretch.

That said, tough call because the physical tools are there. Still only 21 too....

Fever lugging the puck through the neutral zone is a thing to behold. Just blowing the doors off the opposition.

That Kessy scrap was great. I noticed one loud Bears fan, maybe their version of the GOAT at Cap One. He led a few Let’s go Bears chants. Also made me chuckle when after the fight and they announced the penalties, he yelled “5 for fighting, 5 for receiving (a beating)”.....

definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of taking in a game. Arena food other than the dog was average at best.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Lujo needs a whole season without injuries. Odds are Fever is up next season entirely and then nobody blocks Lujo from being impact AHL player if he can.

If he can get going some team maybe asks for him. Imagining him outplaying all of Kempny, Siege, Fever and AA for 2 LD slots (besides Orlov) is non trivial...

But the first step is to be healthy. Guy with size, mobility and bloodlines is tradeable.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
I thought Lujo was very reactionary, almost a half second behind when defending quite a bit.

I think the Caps should trade him if he can play decent for any stretch.

That said, tough call because the physical tools are there. Still only 21 too....

Fever lugging the puck through the neutral zone is a thing to behold. Just blowing the doors off the opposition.

That Kessy scrap was great. I noticed one loud Bears fan, maybe their version of the GOAT at Cap One. He led a few Let’s go Bears chants. Also made me chuckle when after the fight and they announced the penalties, he yelled “5 for fighting, 5 for receiving (a beating)”.....

definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of taking in a game. Arena food other than the dog was average at best.

The Kessy sccrap was great, I agree. He also looks okay out there in his 4th line role. Nice pickup and hopefully he can get more ice time.

That's the problem with Lujo. The tools are there and every now and then he shows it, but there are too many games in between those good ones.

You're right about the food. It's gone downhill for the last few years. All they seem to care about anymore are the beer sales.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Fehrevary is an NHL player. He should start as a 5/6 and get the softer matchups for sure, but his skating, offensive instincts and physicality are NHL calibre.

He is miles better than anyone the Caps have not named Carlson, Orlov, Kempny. He is on par with Gudas and Jensen and better than Siegenthaler and Lewington.

I don't understand why he is in the minors.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Thanks to all for the updates. A lot of us don’t get to see the youngsters too often - other than highlights - and I love reading more in-depth evaluations from those that consistently watch full Hershey games.

Question for y’all: thus far, has any prospect or prospect(s) surprised you so much to the point that you see them jumping up the organizational depth chart long-term and possibly being an NHL-caliber piece or more valuable trade asset at some point? I’m not talking about our high-flying top prospects, rather those that maybe none of us are thinking or talking about, but, have been surprisingly impressed to start the year.

Thanks!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks to all for the updates. A lot of us don’t get to see the youngsters too often - other than highlights - and I love reading more in-depth evaluations from those that consistently watch full Hershey games.

Question for y’all: thus far, has any prospect or prospect(s) surprised you so much to the point that you see them jumping up the organizational depth chart long-term and possibly being an NHL-caliber piece or more valuable trade asset at some point? I’m not talking about our high-flying top prospects, rather those that maybe none of us are thinking or talking about, but, have been surprisingly impressed to start the year.

Thanks!
Pilon probably fits the bill as a bottom 6 center. High motor and just has great hockey IQ. Seems like no one talks about him. Pinho is another guy who could potentially be a 4th line player. A big time puck hound and is a great forechecker.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Vanecek with 0.883 Sv% and Copley with 0.882 Sv% so far this season. It is/was smart to say they both are AHL back-up goalies at best.
Hey look you’re back when Hershey had a bad game and no where to be found when they’re playing well. Imagine that :thumbu:
Has Hershey also changed their system to be more aggressive? (More active D pinching?)
I’ll keep an eye out for this. Will be in attendance tonight.
How has Leason looked in Hershey? His stats not great...
He has been okay. Definitely better than the stats show. Lots of grade A scoring chances but just can’t get the puck in the net right now. Once he settles in he’ll start putting up the points. Seems like he’s in the rookie adjustment stage

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Bears with a hard fought 4-2 win. Nardella played very well tonight and was in for the past two games with LuJo being injured for the weekend. Snively drew back into the lineup after being a healthy scratch Saturday night.

Fever with a solid game tonight. Played very physical after taking a brutal hit early in the game from Luke Witkowski. Moulson with two early goals to set the pace and Malenstyn scored the eventual game winner. D pairs were all over the place. There really wasn’t any set partners and handedness really didn’t matter. At one point there was a Hobbs/Burgdoerfer pairing that had me a little worried. Pilon took a bad high stick but came back to finish out the game. The AJF-Pinho-Malenstyn line was solid once again. They just out work the other team every single night and annoy the opposing teams top line.

I don’t know what it is about Gersich, but he hasn’t taken any steps forward with his game from last season. There’s very little offensive production there and he seems to be lacking some kind of identity. Definitely on the disappointing list with Snively for this season. I am a little more sympathetic for Snively though considering he has been plastered to the 4th line with mostly ECHL level players.

Whitney again given top line minutes without providing any type of production at all. That line was driven by the play of Sgarbossa in the offensive zone and the net front presence of Moulson. Also, hate to see Mailett on the wing and McCarthy still given a sweater. Wouldn’t mind seeing McCarthy sent down and Casey Bailey brought back to Hershey. Bailey is currently playing for the Stingrays.

@Langway I kept an eye out to see how aggressive the D were tonight. Couldn’t give you a definite answer from my point of view. Seemed like only certain D were playing more aggressive in the offensive zone. Those guys were Fever (definitely the most aggressive of all the D), Nardella and surprisingly Burgdoerfer. I didn’t notice Djoos, Hobbs and AA doing it as much as the other three

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Checked out stats of former Bears that have moved on from last year's team. Pretty interesting to see guys not doing well that had big years last year:

NameNew TeamGamesGoalsAssistsPoints
Riley BarberLaval Rockets (AHL)912 3
Aaron NessArizona Coyotes (NHL)500 0
Tuscon Roadrunners (AHL)401 1
Nathan WalkerSan Antonio Rampage (AHL)1186 14
Jayson MegnaColorado Avalanche (NHL)400 0
Colorado Eagles831 4
Ryan SproulKunlun Red Star (KHL)501 1
Juuso Ikonen HV71 (SHL) 16 3 2 5
Max Kammerer Dusseldoerfer EG (DEL) 17 5 6 11
Hampus Gustafsson Rogle BK (SHL)16 0 1 1
Mathias Bau Hansen Dornbirner EC (EBEL) 13 1 1 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Walker is tied for 4th in the league in goals scored and tied for 3rd in total points. He's having a big year and could earn himself a call up in St. Louis. Barber having a rough time in Laval and looks to have taken a few healthy scratches. His signing with Montreal was still a head scratcher given they had an abundance of borderline NHL wingers and he was "looking for an opportunity."

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That is insane but when he slams on the brakes as he does isn't that stopping his forward motion?

Anyway, I thought it was sped up video when I first saw it on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad