Speculation: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2019-2020 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Why did we even sign Nardella if Hershey isn’t going to even get him into one game per weekend? He is already 23 so we’ve honestly got these two seasons of his ELC to figure out if he’s a player or not. He needs to play as much as possible and Mac needs to make that a mandate to the Hershey staff weather they like it or not.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Some thoughts after being at a couple Caps preseason games, all the Bears games, and having the first regular get together with a couple other former players this season.

The Caps look to have 2 great defensive prospects. I'll ruffle a few feathers, but Alex may end up being the better player once his stamina improves and his first few steps. His hockey IQ is fantastic and is very solid offensively. He has a quick release on the wrister and a cannon for a slap shot. He has looked solid on the power play. Nothing against Fever, but little attention has been paid to Alex lately. Both look to be future studs on D.

Copley is an excellent goaltender, a #1 at the AHL level and a solid backup at the NHL level. Vanacek hasn't had the NHL opportunity but is also a #1 at the AHL level and could possibly be a backup at the NHL level. Great depth for the Caps that gives them some options.

Malenstyn is the type of player all teams need in order to win. He's scrappy, physical, brings excellent speed, a superb hockey IQ and great penalty killing as well. He also shows a little offensive ability when given the opportunity.

Snively is a playmaker with good wheels and sees the ice very well . He's had a little bit of a rough start to the year.

Leason is a project in my opinion. He doesn't look out of place, but he needs more muscle, better acceleration, and to use the body. He's young and there is time to develop.

AJF - just speed. Still young and could possibly develop.

Good to see Pilon adding a little bit of snarl to his game. Solid player.

It's too bad Boyd isn't getting an opportunity that is more suited to his game. He's a skilled offensive player and is solid on the power play. Unfortunately, he's had to try and be more of a defensive minded 4th line player with the Caps. He's definitely a star in the AHL.

Hershey has a good looking team with a solid mix of veterans and young players. Of course, things can change quickly in the AHL but the depth the Bears have should help them weather changes that will occur.

Whitney....just one question. Why??

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Why did we even sign Nardella if Hershey isn’t going to even get him into one game per weekend? He is already 23 so we’ve honestly got these two seasons of his ELC to figure out if he’s a player or not. He needs to play as much as possible and Mac needs to make that a mandate to the Hershey staff weather they like it or not.
Who are they going to bench? Everyone on the left side are all 1st or 2nd round picks and Djoos is already playing his off side. If they shift Nardella to RD, they will only be playing one true RD per game.

Ultimately, they didn’t plan to have 6 LD be on Hershey’s roster but the Cap forced their hand to loaning Djoos down to Hershey.

A LD for RD trade should be explored for a few reasons. One, it immediately helps solve some playing time issues if they can get a RD that can step in and play over Williams/Hobbs. Two, it improves the overall RD depth as the Bears/Caps don’t really have another RD who would be able to play in an NHL game now or in the immediate future.

I’d be shocked if Nardella doesn’t get a game this upcoming week

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Because depth is a good problem to have.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Who are they going to bench? Everyone on the left side are all 1st or 2nd round picks and Djoos is already playing his off side. If they shift Nardella to RD, they will only be playing one true RD per game.

Ultimately, they didn’t plan to have 6 LD be on Hershey’s roster but the Cap forced their hand to loaning Djoos down to Hershey.

A LD for RD trade should be explored for a few reasons. One, it immediately helps solve some playing time issues if they can get a RD that can step in and play over Williams/Hobbs. Two, it improves the overall RD depth as the Bears/Caps don’t really have another RD who would be able to play in an NHL game now or in the immediate future.

I’d be shocked if Nardella doesn’t get a game this upcoming week

How about Burgdoerfer? I get he is one of the only right shot D in the lineup. But our prospects getting ice time is more important than an AHL lifer getting ice time IMO. If the kids have to play their off side so be it. Get them into games.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
How about Burgdoerfer? I get he is one of the only right shot D in the lineup. But our prospects getting ice time is more important than an AHL lifer getting ice time IMO. If the kids have to play their off side so be it. Get them into games.
I don’t necessarily disagree. But Burgdoerfer is the only true stable RD that they have and he eats up PK minutes more so than any other D. They just need to get a rotation down, but it seems this weekend the D core played very well, so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

This is the deepest Hershey team in years and the only glaring weak spot is RD. Again, they should move someone on the left side for a RD. They have 3 other guys in the ECHL as depth options who can step in at LD if called upon

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Caps have too many LDs. If one of the prospects will move to right side both Hershey/Washington will be better in the long run (possibly).

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps have too many LDs. If one of the prospects will move to right side both Hershey/Washington will be better in the long run (possibly).
The Caps have a lot of defence prospects period. I'd consider moving one or 2 of them to get some help at forward. Don't they have 9 dmen on the roster

Reactions: Ridley Simon

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Can anyone give me their thoughts on Johansen and Djoos so far this season?

@hb11xchamps
I’ve only watched the first two games so far due to a busy personal schedule. That was the first weekend so it’s tough to say. Johansen was benched after the first game when he made a few bonehead plays, but has been in the lineup ever since. Djoos has switch to RD and has been a big reason why the Bears PP has been good. He looked noticeably better than most players on the ice the first weekend which is to be expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad