Speculation: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2019-2020 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Looks like Hershey's trying to assess their team before the TDL approaches. Wittchow has been solid in fill in duty and I'd be shocked if he doesn't come back to add depth. Also means Fehervary is probably staying in Hershey for a bit and maybe LuJo is closer to returning to action

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
How's Leason looking? Noticed he was parked right in front on both of the first two goals and seemed to be on the ice for four of Hershey's goals. Also saw he was penciled in as 2RW.
He’s been up and down the lineup as the Bears continue to get the young guys some games. He really doesn’t play as bad as his stat line shows. He’s not flashy in anything that he does which makes it hard to truly notice him with all the prospects in Hershey. He isn’t going to be a fast track add to the NHL roster and I’d wager they give him a nutrition plan that has him adding weight to his frame. He’s built more like an NBA player

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Agree on the lankiness of Leason, he looks so skinny out there. I will say seeing him live he is very physical player and likes to get in on board battles and such.

Definitely can see him as a decent fourth line energy guy.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Agree on the lankiness of Leason, he looks so skinny out there. I will say seeing him live he is very physical player and likes to get in on board battles and such.

Definitely can see him as a decent fourth line energy guy.
It's odd that his junior team didn't have him on a better lifting program. Unless he's like Djoos and can't add weight to his frame no matter how much he eats.

Clark and more so Sutter are both bigger players that look bigger on the ice in comparison to Leason.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nardella could be our new version of Nate Schmidt. College guy that is far better than anyone expected. Excellent. Also makes moving LuJo or AA far more tolerable as Nardella gives us even more depth at the Blueline

Not saying you were doing this but I don't think we should be putting LuJo and AA in the same sentence, on the same level, etc. I expect an impact player w/ term if AA is included as part of the deal; I expect a young forward with a similar draft pedigree that has also failed to live up to expectations if LuJo is being shipped out.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I have a sinking feeling Nardella is gonna be a trade chip as I would bet other teams see what we see in him. And the Caps will regret it.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
At this point, I'd say Nardella has jumped LuJo. As crazy as it sounds? I think performances this year have backed it up. Nardella is rising up our prospect ranks. We are just so stacked at LD. It's crazy, LuJo has only played nine games so far this year and only 45 last year.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
AA's potential too high to compare him to LuJo.
Everybody likes Fever but AA is potentially much better offensively as I understand it. AA reminds me Pietrangelo just left handed. That's a guy you dont trade for nothing.

As for Nardella, smaller guy out of thin air... odds they are emotionally connected to him are lower, so thye could think of him as a very good trade chip (because there are lots of LDs already).

Although he's playing right side, right? Imagine we get true reliable 2RD. Then we could certainly use smaller offensively talented left handed 3RD.

Its all points to Caps having at least one left handed D soon enough. If its 3RD the risk is much smaller. Just stalwart RD above him is required.

On the other hand, speedy small Nardella at RD forces Carlson to eat pucks at PK for all of the regular season. Is that needed?

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No question that Nardella is killing it, but does he have that extra gear that’s required to be an NHL regular? I’m not sure yet. He didn’t look out of place in the pre-season, so hopefully his game can translate to one level higher. But I don’t yet see him as being on the same level as a Schmidt or Djoos (or other players they have/will let go and succeed elsewhere).

AA’s ceiling is still higher than any of our other D prospects, Fehervary included. The injury concerns are growing rather than shrinking, and if you look at 1st round NHL busts, injuries are a really common factor. But if he gets past that, he has tools that, simply put, no other D in the Caps stable has. He could be that dominant 2-way D that every team lusts for. Will he? That’s a harder question with a less rosy forecast.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
No question that Nardella is killing it, but does he have that extra gear that’s required to be an NHL regular? I’m not sure yet. He didn’t look out of place in the pre-season, so hopefully his game can translate to one level higher. But I don’t yet see him as being on the same level as a Schmidt or Djoos (or other players they have/will let go and succeed elsewhere).
Yes, the guy fit the part when he got into the lineup last season and should have gotten games in the CC playoffs. He had a solid camp with Washington and received the short end of the stick regarding playing time to start this season.

Nardella is on the same pace points wise that Djoos is currently and has already outproduced Djoos’ rookie numbers where Djoos has 62 games. He has also outproduced Schmidt’s numbers in Hershey as well. The guy is a gamer and we got him for free

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I’m not questioning whether or not he’s a gamer. I’m questioning whether that status will translate to the speed and intensity of the NHL game. With players like Nardella, I have to see it to believe it. I certainly hope it can, but there’s no guarantee.

He may be an AHL rookie, but he’s also already 23. At that age, both Schmidt and Djoos has broken through to the NHL (and Djoos was a regular).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Whether he can be useful to them likely hinges on his ability to defend and general defensive IQ, to go along with his ability to transport and transition effectively. Boston's shorter D should be the template for him developing into an NHLer. The offense is good and helps Hershey a lot but it'll be those nuances that are more determinative IMO.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
WBS gets the better end of that deal for sure. They needed a jolt in the arm though as they have been decimated by Pittsburgh call ups. Hershey definitely needs to add a player or two who can put the puck in the net before the AHL TDL or they aren't going to have a very long playoff run

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Guys I'd target who are on non-playoff teams:
Brandon Pirri - Obvious reasons. "Down" year in Chicago but would be a great addition to put this team over the top
Seth Griffith - Smaller player that can play both wing and center. 57 points last year and a former 77 point guy at the AHL level
Tye McGinn - His 15 goals would be third on the team currently. Solid playoff performance last season
Mike Vecchione - Former 40 point guy. Already has 19 goals on a bad San Antonio team
Josh Currie - Already with 22 goals and 17 assists for Bakersfield. Played 20 games for Edmonton last year

Would love Gerald Mayhew who has 39 goals already for the Iowa Wild but Iowa is in the playoff hunt out West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad