Pre-Game Talk: Heritage Classic - Ottawa at Vancouver Sunday, March 2 at BC Place @ 1:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Lu sure as hell better be traded by the deadline if they are doing this to him. **** you gillis!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
BhrVg3BCEAIrxlV.jpg

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I personally don't get the big deal, but that's just me. Lack has allowed 1 goal in the last 2 games and this team needs to go 15-5 to make the playoffs. Tortorella wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't go with the guy who's hot (as opposed to the guy who has been sitting around for 2 weeks). And I certainly don't know what this has to do with Gillis.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
You dont seem to understand what this means, This is torts basically saying that eddie lack is the #1 guy, and luongo is the back up.

This destroys any value luongo gained this season, this adds another layer of controversy

How would Luongo playing like a middling starter leading up to his 35th birthday have upped his trade value? If anything it confirmed that last year wasn't as much of an anomaly as people had hoped and that he's not the player he once was. A great December bookended by 2 months of .910 goaltending on either side of that has hardly proven that he's back.

People can point the finger at everyone else, but the reason Luongo lost his job last year, at the Olympics, and apparently now is because he's been the 2nd best goalie on his team. I think it's kind of a dumb decision because it creates needless drama, but if you're strictly starting whoever gives you a better chance to win (which I assume is Tortorella's aim) then Lack is the guy right now.

The team can't score to save their lives. Luongo is 1-17-5 when getting 1 or 2 goals support; Lack is 5-5-1 in that same situation. He's been far better at getting points out of a brutal offense than Luongo has.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I personally don't get the big deal, but that's just me. Lack has allowed 1 goal in the last 2 games and this team needs to go 15-5 to make the playoffs. Tortorella wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't go with the guy who's hot (as opposed to the guy who has been sitting around for 2 weeks). And I certainly don't know what this has to do with Gillis.

Yup, no doubt.

Who gives the team the better chance tomorrow? Hard to argue against Lack.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Nothing to do with Lack. Lack is great... but you're basically throwing Luongo under the bus.

Can you remember an outdoor game where the team decided not to play their starting goalie?

Again he should be traded now if he's not playing tomorrow.... because it's going to be damn hard to get him to play again...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Nothing to do with Lack. Lack is great... but you're basically throwing Luongo under the bus.

Can you remember an outdoor game where the team decided not to play their starting goalie?

I don't know. Can you remember an outdoor game where the team in question needed to go 15-5 to make the playoffs and their starter hadn't played a game in 2 weeks?

Again he should be traded now if he's not playing tomorrow.... because it's going to be damn hard to get him to play again...

That's assuming there are teams interested. They're not going to retain salary on his deal just to ship him out a few months earlier and make him happy.

IMHO Luongo's just being a baby with those interview answers. He got the majority of the starts and hasn't really separated himself from Lack in any meaningful way. If he wants guarantees then he should play up to the level that earns him those guarantees.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I can see how it can be a big deal, but it really shouldn't be. Lack has been playing lights out.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
How would Luongo playing like a middling starter leading up to his 35th birthday have upped his trade value? If anything it confirmed that last year wasn't as much of an anomaly as people had hoped and that he's not the player he once was. A great December bookended by 2 months of .910 goaltending on either side of that has hardly proven that he's back.

People can point the finger at everyone else, but the reason Luongo lost his job last year, at the Olympics, and apparently now is because he's been the 2nd best goalie on his team. I think it's kind of a dumb decision because it creates needless drama, but if you're strictly starting whoever gives you a better chance to win (which I assume is Tortorella's aim) then Lack is the guy right now.

The team can't score to save their lives. Luongo is 1-17-5 when getting 1 or 2 goals support; Lack is 5-5-1 in that same situation. He's been far better at getting points out of a brutal offense than Luongo has.

... they better hope Lack doesn't faulter or they are completely screwed... (and I love Lack but this is completely needless... especially against the Senators...)

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Yup, no doubt.

Who gives the team the better chance tomorrow? Hard to argue against Lack.

The issue is the only reason Luongo got back on board with this team was because Aquilinii and Gillis convinced him he would be the guy going forward, he was the guy they wanted to be their starter

To go back on that in the same season is just a disgrace, especially on such a marque game

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Oh God, this team...

There had better be trade in the works for Luongo because it seems like he has once again lost his job to the backup. Not even saying it's the wrong decision from a hockey point of view but this has to be the last straw, there is no way in hell Luongo is back to start the next season.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

Disagree. This team needs less drama, not more. Unless Gillis has a very clear vision as to how Luongo's going to be elsewhere in the coming days or months, all this has done is throw more gasoline on that fire. Maybe they win tomorrow, but I don't see how it benefits the organization beyond that.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I wonder if they are showcasing Lack on a big stage right before the deadline or is it possible they have a deal for Luongo?

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
If we buy out Luongo while having traded Schneider last season...

I don't even want to think about it

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The issue is the only reason Luongo got back on board with this team was because Aquilinii and Gillis convinced him he would be the guy going forward, he was the guy they wanted to be their starter

To go back on that in the same season is just a disgrace, especially on such a marque game

So what? He gets paid millions of dollars on a guaranteed contract to take the ups and downs along the way. If it's not worth it for him, then he can go sit at home in Florida. I'm a Luongo fan I just hate how some of his fans are such whiners.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

How about addressing the problems with the team? What you say would make sense if this style of coaching were applied to the lineup throughout. But at that point, the Sedins who are goalless in the past quarter of a season wouldn't be on the PP and wouldn't be getting top line minutes either.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
How about addressing the problems with the team? What you say would make sense if this style of coaching were applied to the lineup throughout. But at that point, the Sedins who are goalless in the past quarter of a season wouldn't be on the PP and wouldn't be getting top line minutes either.

Taking the Sedins off the PP or benching them does absolutely nothing for the team. We don't have two young players to replace them. We do have Eddie Lack which is why he's playing.

Disagree. This team needs less drama, not more. Unless Gillis has a very clear vision as to how Luongo's going to be elsewhere in the coming days or months, all this has done is throw more gasoline on that fire. Maybe they win tomorrow, but I don't see how it benefits the organization beyond that.

The only reason there's drama is because Luongo is so unprofessional about this whole thing. Shut your mouth and do your job. And if you want out so god damn bad then give the team more options than just one team to trade you to.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Agree with this too. Luongo should be on the bench and the Sedins should be right next to him when the PP1 crew rolls out.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Taking the Sedins off the PP or benching them does absolutely nothing for the team. We don't have two young players to replace them. We do have Eddie Lack which is why he's playing.

Kesler, Higgins, Kassian, Schroeder, Booth, Sestito have more goals than the Sedins in the past 21 games. Give them the minutes, they're producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad