Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think this draft begins and ends with Seider. If he pans out, the draft was a success. He doesn't, and outside of someone being the next Z/D/Kucherov level find and this draft looks a lot less stellar. Credit to Yzerman for swinging for the fences a bit and going his own way with Seider, but missing on a top10 pick is also one of those things that can really hurt a rebuild.

Well said, pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. I'm not one to grade drafts, because I do not know jack about anyone ranked higher than 20, but if I were to give this draft a grade I'd score it an A based purely on how high I am on Seider.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I wonder how this board/these bloggers would've graded the '89 draft hours after it happened.

(No, I'm not comparing these players to the Wings picks in '89.)

(Yes, I realize there was no Internet in '89.)
That would be a fun read. I think we would love the Fedorov pick as he was well known to be about the most talented player not in the NHL - but I think we would have had a lot of meh comments in regards to Nick and probably some bitching about Vladdie given he was another Russian/Soviet player who was not as well known as Fedorov.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Very solid draft.

We didn't pick the fancy names and players but Hakan and the team seem incredibly happy with their selections. I was getting worried early on that we were going the 2017 route again but I don't think that's the case. Lots of upside here.

Last edited:

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Seider was known to every scout not an unknown he was a projected top #20 pick, scouts all watched him

Of course they did. That is their job. A lot of fans didn't know him that much though because he wasn't being spoken of among the list of candidates that Detroit would pick at #6 and some reacted with surprise, disbelief and anger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
It's funny that it is being suggested the only reason anyone would be positive about this draft is because it was Steve Yzerman who oversaw his first draft as Red Wings GM. Some of us have been asking for years for Hakan to be given early draft picks rather than saddling him with finding gems in the 3rd round and beyond. This draft is exactly what we have been asking for, but people are upset because their year of scouting youtube and watching a couple tournaments was better than Hakan's? I don't bother spending tons of time following draft-eligible prospects, as outside of the top 5 or so draft picks it is tough to come to consensus on how the rest of the players in the draft should be ranked on an individual basis. Yes, second rounders are more likely to become NHL'ers than 5th rounders but the odds are still stacked against any player picked beyond the top half of the first round.

Why not let a guy who has the track record Hakan has run the draft? Could he be our Al Murray? As I'm sure I've made perfectly clear over the years I haven't been the slightest bit impressed with Detroit's drafting over the past 15 or so years and that's primarily directed at our NA scouting. If in fact Yzerman let Hakan run this draft that is a great sign IMO and it is something that has never happened in the past despite Hakan's track record.

This may be another bad draft for Detroit but guess what - we've had bad drafts for years and years and years. At least it appears we let our best scout finally run a draft. It's about damn time. :yo:

I believe Hakan was offered the position when Nill brought Detroit's former director of scouting with him to Dallas and turned it down. I think Hakan preferred to stay in Sweden where he had a network of contacts in Europe in general and Sweden in particular feeding him information on players there, rather than relocate to Detroit to oversee not only the European but also the North American scouting staff as well.

I agree though that Andersson should have been given more chances to choose the higher round draft picks under Holland. With his track record and resume, he deserved a better chance of getting to choose higher regarded players from Europe.

Now that Stevie Yzerman is in charge, who has drafted a lot of gems from Europe while at Tampa Bay, I think we will see a more balanced selection of players coming from that continent, including many in the early rounds, compared to the North American heavy drafts we have had in the past under Ken Holland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
way i see it yzerman didnt think any of the highly ranked guys remaining at 6 were going to be dominant stars ,
but he does think that cider could be a top pairing dominator , ' the terminator ' if you will .
shutting down anybody in his own end , dont matter how big n bad or how quick n dangling ,
red wings end is shut down for business by the terminator !

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Of course he is. That is their job. A lot of fans didn't know him that much though because he wasn't being spoken of among the list of candidates that Detroit would pick at #6 and some reacted with surprise, disbelief and anger.
Agreed with that , like the pick just would have loved if we could have traded back a few times and collect assets but our former gm ruined those plans which is what’s more disappointing to myself

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Very solid draft.

We didn't pick the fancy names and players but Hakan and the team seem incredibly happy with their selections. I was getting worried early on that we were going the 2017 route again but I don't think that's the case. Lots of upside here.
That being said I’d caution not to get overly excited , love hakan but he’s produced squat for us in the last 10-15 years so I’m not expecting anything major, if we land a player, cool

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think I’d feel quite a better about this haul if we just swapped out the Tuomisto pick. I like everything we did after that, and coming around on the Seider pick, but that one is tough for me at #35.

Maybe I’m wrong and he’s the next Colton Parayko, guess we will find out.

Reno

Jan 21, 2007
that would have been fun to check afterwards.

For 100% sure, least discussion would have happened about that meh swedish defenceman called Lidström. :eek::rolleyes:

Who wasn't fast or noticeably good at anything. He really wasn't! He just played the best.

Going after hockey IQ with these defencemen is as good plan as any plan.

Smart guys will win the stupid ones at any day of the week.

Lidstroms ceiling wasn't projected as better than Ray Bourque. We should have taken Jason Whoolley with that pick.

Reactions: Gniwder

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am fine with the draft. I am happy Yzerman loaded up with Defenseman and it sounds like targeting skating and upside was the mark. Its a sign that Yzerman get's it. A great defensive core is much easier to build around then a forward core and D takes the longest to develop. I think his goal was to land use all the picks at his disposal to bolster the prospect pool on D, even if it meant sacrificing BPA.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think I’d feel quite a better about this haul if we just swapped out the Tuomisto pick. I like everything we did after that, and coming around on the Seider pick, but that one is tough for me at #35.

This draft seems to have been defined by the guys who were drafted right before our picks. Coming in, I think seeing Dach, Byram, and Turcotte go right in front of us was the worst case scenario. Then we saw Kaliyev and Brink go right before our second pick. I don't know about anyone else, but the guys left on the board at both of those picks didn't wow me nearly as much as the guys who had just come off the board, leaving the Wings pick open to some creativity.

edit: I've seen it more than once that the Wings didn't draft BPA. I'm not sure I'd go that route. The Wings BPA just clearly didn't agree with the consensus BPA, but I'm willing to bet the Wings thought all of their picks were the BPA at the moment. I know this is really just semantics, likely, but I feel it's something to point out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This draft seems to have been defined by the guys who were drafted right before our picks. Coming in, I think seeing Dach, Byram, and Turcotte go right in front of us was the worst case scenario. Then we saw Kaliyev and Brink go right before our second pick. I don't know about anyone else, but the guys left on the board at both of those picks didn't wow me nearly as much as the guys who had just come off the board, leaving the Wings pick open to some creativity.

It wasn’t ideal, but this is why you make a draft board. You can only control what you can control.

We may have not even liked Kaliyev and Brink. Teams either seemed to be super high or super low on them. There were a bunch of guys still left for us at #35 I liked a lot, so that one sticks out to me.

Listening to them talk about our first 4 picks, they don’t really seem too enthused about the Finnish kid compared to the others. Maybe that’s a factor too.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Very good Listen (45 minutes)

This was a really good listen. Draper hinted at something when talking about Mastrosimone that I’ve been really, really hopeful for with Yzerman joining.

When in Tampa, pretty early on, Yzerman brought in a former figure skater turned power skating coach. She’s credited for taking Brayden Point from an average level skater to the skater he is today. If she can have similar success with some players like Zadina and go from average or slightly above average, to explosive, then we are cooking with fire.

Reactions: mantha39

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This was a really good listen. Draper hinted at something when talking about Mastrosimone that I’ve been really, really hopeful for with Yzerman joining.

When in Tampa, pretty early on, Yzerman brought in a former figure skater turned power skating coach. She’s credited for taking Brayden Point from an average level skater to the skater he is today. If she can have similar success with some players like Zadina and go from average or slightly above average, to explosive, then we are cooking with fire.

Just finishing it now, too.

Art Regner needs to let his interviewees do most of the talking like this more often.

He gets some good people on that podcast, but far too often he just endlessly rambles and makes the damn thing unbearable to listen to.

Reactions: Tatar Shots

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Ok dude your ridiculous now keep giving your A grades for a draft you can’t base performances on yet , like that one ?

Zadina, veleno , have more upside than any player picked this year and mcisaac outside of seider has more upside than any d’s picked + add berggren who missed a year but he’s a ton of upside as well

What you going to get excited over up front? Grewe is a nice agitator but he’ll be a 3rd line guy . There’s no homerun potential guys in this draft and we clearly just attacked a need this team has for defensemen, if you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you
Not once did the other give them an A, not sure where you’re drawing that from. All he basically was wait a while.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Just finishing it now, too.

Art Regner needs to let his interviewees do most of the talking like this more often.

He gets some good people on that podcast, but far too often he just endlessly rambles and makes the damn thing unbearable to listen to.

Art needs to not talk in general. I motion that we give him just a white board to write his questions like he’s playing a game show.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

It's kind of funny, but if you swap the Mastrosimone and Tuomisto picks I think I have a different opinion of the draft. I know it's somewhat silly, but Mastrosimone at 35 and Tuomisto at 54 is a lot easier to accept, I think when I look at the picks from that view it's a not as bad.

That being said, I still would have preferred a couple of other guys over Tuomisto at 35, though a lot of them didn't go until the 50-85 range so perhaps there's some information on them that I'm not aware of.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Honestly, I used to roll my eyes at the whole 'compete level' thing. But after watching Larkin and Bertuzzi develop into the players they are today, I can't get enough of it lol.

Zetterberg was another guy like that. It's definitely an "intangible" but there's something to be said for a player that never takes a shift off. That kind of work ethic can't completely eliminate skill gaps, but it helps. I don't think Zetterberg was as purely skilled as many of his contemporaries, for example, but good luck finding a harder center to play against.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Mentally swap Mastrosimone and this pick, and it's somewhat bearable.

With the talent available at the start of round 2, I wish they had used the late 2nd for this kid though.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's kind of funny, but if you swap the Mastrosimone and Tuomisto picks I think I have a different opinion of the draft. I know it's somewhat silly, but Mastrosimone at 35 and Tuomisto at 54 is a lot easier to accept, I think when I look at the picks from that view it's a not as bad.

That being said, I still would have preferred a couple of other guys over Tuomisto at 35, though a lot of them didn't go until the 50-85 range so perhaps there's some information on them that I'm not aware of.

I would have really liked to go with Rees or Lavoie in that slot. Not sure we drafted anyone this year that will end up as a center, which is interesting. I think Rees ended the year great, and would have been a 1st rounder if he didn’t get hurt and miss some games.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad