Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Apparently Wright is the one who picked tuomisto and considering his last drafts the sooner he leaves the better

6-7 after round 6 ? Huh

Well hopefully we have at least 4 guys but if they all turn out to be bottom guys this draft will be a big regret so we need at least another guy outside seider to have some sort of decent nhl career considering the guys we passed

7-8 picks pre 6th round. 6+ picks are completely luck based. So Seider and likely 1-2 other's.

Maybe the goalie as well but I know f--- all about goalies. So more than likely 2-3 player's if you are looking at statistical averages.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Got that off your chest ? Good I couldn’t two ****s what you think , I know one thing , if we passed on a bunch of kids that end up being something really good from picks 34-66 a lot of fans who were happy and thrilled will complain nonstop about the wings in a few years

That being said , don’t like what my “ know it all egomaniac self” have to say simply ignore me , shut the hell up and move along to someone else . Everybody wins
''I know one thing , if we passed on a bunch of kids that end up being something really good from picks 34-66 a lot of fans who were happy and thrilled will complain nonstop about the wings in a few years'' . what the hell are you even talking about , obviously every nhl team misses on good players in second round because nobody can be sure how theyll develop . except you that is . im going to prove all your whining wrong with factual data , nobody can predict prospects futures with extreme accuracy . but you act like you can and are criticizing / disrespecting yzerman who just built the best roster , as thought so by the vast majority of the nhl knowledgable , in the nhl and that should thusly be respected for his prospect opinions . now your destroying his draft before these guys have played one game like you know their futures ? (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LucaBrasil

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
7-8 picks pre 6th round. 6+ picks are completely luck based. So Seider and likely 1-2 other's.

Maybe the goalie as well but I know f--- all about goalies. So more than likely 2-3 player's if you are looking at statistical averages.

K, Yup probably few others I’d say after seider especially with the way we picked imo considering all the picks we had in the first few rounds and who we passed on , we’ll see what happens

Goalies are a crapshoot and I’d be shocked if one taken in the last round pans out , hope he does though

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
One think I liked that Yzerman said during one of the interviews was that he had plenty of time to watch and scout many of these young players last season in his role as an adviser in Tampa Bay, which is an advantage that GM's prior to the draft normally do not have with their busy schedule. Combine that with inside knowledge on what the scouts from Tampa Bay where thinking about players and the input from the DRW scouting staff and he was probably better prepared for this draft than pretty much any other GM in the NHL.

Seider might have been an unknown to many fans but Steve mentioned that he got to watch and scout this young player several times last season and came out impressed every time. He was also probably aware that Holland knew about his interest in Seider and the DRW scouting staff's high regard for the player, which probably influenced his decision to pick him up at # 6 instead of trading down. As it turns out Kenny did draft a defenceman at #8, so it is quite possible Seider would not have been there if they traded down to #9 or lower.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I wonder how this board/these bloggers would've graded the '89 draft hours after it happened.

(No, I'm not comparing these players to the Wings picks in '89.)

(Yes, I realize there was no Internet in '89.)
All I can say as a Detroit lions fan is draft day grades can kiss my ass. Can't count number of times the lions had a sexy draft that produced Jack shit.

I'll take two big right handed defensemen back to back any day. So care what anyone says that's a sexy draft to me.

Reactions: Ricelund

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don’t know why, but Stevie Y looks less than thrilled with the picks. Maybe just a poker face.

And of course, Tuo was a Wright pick, as I thought. The guy just seems to go for size and size only.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Wright is gone by next draft.

Actually it just looks like you are trying to come up with a supposed down look to support you being upset with the draft. He looks like typical Steve Yzerman to me.

The second part, how do you know who's pick it was?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seems like a high potential draft. I also generally like going with more unknowns than the most well-known names.

Honestly it does feel like a draft in which we’ll know in a year whether we did something right or not. Lots of picks that kinda need to prove themselves worthy of their pick position pretty soon.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That’s ultimately the feeling out of 2017, we can’t have a duplicate of that.

Are you saying Rasmussen is already a bust? If Rasmussen and Seider pan out, the rest of their respective draft classes matter a lot less. It puts a bit more weight on other drafts to work out a little deeper, but I'm not sure that's any different from most years.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Are you saying Rasmussen is already a bust? If Rasmussen and Seider pan out, the rest of their respective draft classes matter a lot less. It puts a bit more weight on other drafts to work out a little deeper, but I'm not sure that's any different from most years.

No, it’s obviously premature. But that’s certainly the feeling out of 2017. That with the 9th overall pick we drafted someone who is a third line player at best; whereas with this draft, while some scouts have said that Seider is a middle pairing defensive defenseman, there is the possibility that he was under scouted and there is more to him than projected. He’s also one of the youngest players in the draft, so he’s a true wildcard.

However, if over the next two seasons or so it seems more clear that he’s just a middle pairing defensive defenseman, people will be a lot more hard on this draft.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
how many end up going to Edmonton as front office contracts expire on July 1st. We’re sure to see some level of shake-up.
I’m not expecting special assistant to the GM Kris Draper, director of pro scouting Mark Howe, the aforementioned Hakan Andersson or the Wings’ development coaches, like Shawn Horcoff, Daniel Cleary or director of player evaluation Jiri Fischer, to go anywhere, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of amateur guys and Western Canadian scouts shuffle off to Edmonton. Whether Holland plucks director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright or his lieutenants will be intriguing to find out as well.

HSJ in the morning: Talking about the ‘Yzerplan’ as St. James grades the Wings’ draft performance

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
One think I liked that Yzerman said during one of the interviews was that he had plenty of time to watch and scout many of these young players last season in his role as an adviser in Tampa Bay, which is an advantage that GM's prior to the draft normally do not have with their busy schedule. Combine that with inside knowledge on what the scouts from Tampa Bay where thinking about players and the input from the DRW scouting staff and he was probably better prepared for this draft than pretty much any other GM in the NHL.

Seider might have been an unknown to many but Steve mentioned that he got to watch and scout this young player several times last season and came out impressed every time. He was also probably aware that Holland knew about his interest in Seider and DRW scouting staff's high regard for the player, which probably influenced his decision to pick him up at # 6 instead of trading down. As it turns out Kenny did draft a defenceman, so it is quite possible Seider would not have been there if they traded down to #9 or lower.

Seider was known to every scout not an unknown he was a projected top #20 pick, scouts all watched him

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
how many end up going to Edmonton as front office contracts expire on July 1st. We’re sure to see some level of shake-up.
I’m not expecting special assistant to the GM Kris Draper, director of pro scouting Mark Howe, the aforementioned Hakan Andersson or the Wings’ development coaches, like Shawn Horcoff, Daniel Cleary or director of player evaluation Jiri Fischer, to go anywhere, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of amateur guys and Western Canadian scouts shuffle off to Edmonton. Whether Holland plucks director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright or his lieutenants will be intriguing to find out as well.

HSJ in the morning: Talking about the ‘Yzerplan’ as St. James grades the Wings’ draft performance

obviously wasn't gonna happen before the draft but with how much smoke there was when Holland left about him taking Tyler Wright with him i'd be surprised if he isn't gone

other than that who knows,probably mostly just a lesser known scouting name or two

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Actually it just looks like you are trying to come up with a supposed down look to support you being upset with the draft. He looks like typical Steve Yzerman to me.

The second part, how do you know who's pick it was?

YouTube videos of wings page , hakan talks and says basically Wright was all wet for tuomisto and on the Wright video someone mentions it to him and he said oh hakan threw me under the bus as it being my pick ? And laughed

I do think Wright will be gone and joining ken Holland in Edmonton and I’m all for it as well

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No, it’s obviously premature. But that’s certainly the feeling out of 2017. That with the 9th overall pick we drafted someone who is a third line player at best; whereas with this draft, while some scouts have said that Seider is a middle pairing defensive defenseman, there is the possibility that he was under scouted and there is more to him than projected. He’s also one of the youngest players in the draft, so he’s a true wildcard.

However, if over the next two seasons or so it seems more clear that he’s just a middle pairing defensive defenseman, people will be a lot more hard on this draft.
I have no problem with seider , would have liked to get more assets to do so but it wasn’t in the cards , more pissed with the rest of the draft specifically 2-3 rounds and guys we passed on

We approached this need to specifically fix our teams mess of a d , if we would used our need in 2017 which we should have we’d have a very solid dman in our system instead of going for a guy with size in Rasmussen and today might have been a tad different . Oh well

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

I wouldn’t too surprised to see kris Draper in Edmonton with Wright , watch the video where we selected seider they both don’t look too thrilled and towards the end Draper is like forcing himself to smile , just doesn’t look too good and I’m sure as much as he likes Stevie he’s gotten real close to ken Holland and if he looks at the bigger picture he has more of a chance of taking over edm after Holland leaves than the wings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
2017 was draft for leadership , 2018 for skills, 2019 for size. All together sounds good. All the kids they choose have good speed. Red Wings projected to be bigger and fester

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I didn't love the selections, but I understood why they were made. I thought Seider was a bit of a reach and I think passing on Cozens will be a mistake.

I think this weekend showed what Yzerman really thinks of this team and more notably it's current farm system. Obviously defense has been a weak spot for a long time so it's nice to address a huge need. If we can hit on even two of these defensemen, that'll be a success.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Not a super exciting draft from my perspective. I like the #6 pick but after that kind of blah from the excitement standpoint. That being said, excitement doesn't mean anything in how this draft will turn out. We'll see in 4 years!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It was an underwhelming 1st draft for Steve Yzerman from a fan’s perspective, but it’s not difficult to see that he has a plan in place. The team took five forwards, five defensemen, and a goalie with their 11 picks. The defensemen they took appear to be high-ceiling, project prospects, the forwards appear to be the same. Simply put, Yzerman isn’t rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, he’s trying to fix the sinking ship. An interesting note: the Red Wings did not draft a player out of the CHL.
I give this Draft a B, J.J. also gave it a B, while Peter and Prashanth gave it a B-.

RECAP: Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

It's funny that it is being suggested the only reason anyone would be positive about this draft is because it was Steve Yzerman who oversaw his first draft as Red Wings GM. Some of us have been asking for years for Hakan to be given early draft picks rather than saddling him with finding gems in the 3rd round and beyond. This draft is exactly what we have been asking for, but people are upset because their year of scouting youtube and watching a couple tournaments was better than Hakan's? I don't bother spending tons of time following draft-eligible prospects, as outside of the top 5 or so draft picks it is tough to come to consensus on how the rest of the players in the draft should be ranked on an individual basis. Yes, second rounders are more likely to become NHL'ers than 5th rounders but the odds are still stacked against any player picked beyond the top half of the first round.

Why not let a guy who has the track record Hakan has run the draft? Could he be our Al Murray? As I'm sure I've made perfectly clear over the years I haven't been the slightest bit impressed with Detroit's drafting over the past 15 or so years and that's primarily directed at our NA scouting. If in fact Yzerman let Hakan run this draft that is a great sign IMO and it is something that has never happened in the past despite Hakan's track record.

This may be another bad draft for Detroit but guess what - we've had bad drafts for years and years and years. At least it appears we let our best scout finally run a draft. It's about damn time. :yo:

Reactions: odin1981

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else commented or noticed how weird it seemed for Yzerman and Sakic to be handing their #19 jerseys to these kids?
I see it as a good omen for Moritz. Still seemed strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad