Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
We need c and d prospect's to develop and/or get flipped for assets to improve. I see plenty of them drafted. Now it's wait and see. Hope we hit on 2-4.
2-4? So basically seider and one more guy ? Grewe bottom liner? If that’s the result of the draft it would be a disaster

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I think this draft begins and ends with Seider. If he pans out, the draft was a success. He doesn't, and outside of someone being the next Z/D/Kucherov level find and this draft looks a lot less stellar. Credit to Yzerman for swinging for the fences a bit and going his own way with Seider, but missing on a top10 pick is also one of those things that can really hurt a rebuild.

That’s ultimately the feeling out of 2017, we can’t have a duplicate of that.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
More than happy with this draft, there’s huge upside in many of these picks. So much complaining about the difficulty of finding a number 1 D, the Wings finally draft a guy with the potential and there’s still an uproar because he was taken earlier than the rankings had him. Just think, if you look back and re-do any previous draft the order you’d take them now won’t look anything like the pre-draft rankings.

And funny how posters still bag on 2017 and the Rasmussen pick when no player taken after him has put up better numbers in the NHL. Also love how the narrative’s become “Necas was the guy I wanted” when it was herniated discs Vilardi and Liljegren just as many posters here were lamenting passing on after the draft took place.
We been trying to fix the d problem for years and we passed on brannstrom,Foote,valimaki, liljgren so yes they’re we’re way better options than Rasmussen and yes 2017 draft is remarkably unimpressive

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
2-4? So basically seider and one more guy ? Grewe bottom liner? If that’s the result of the draft it would be a disaster

You do realize that a normal 7 pick year is generally only 1-2 players correct? So about 3 is average for 11. Unless we have another '89 gift we should be looking at realistic averages and not some ludicrous 4+ players.

Or if we can flip 1-2 for more picks down the road we still have 4-5 years rebuilding most likely.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
That’s ultimately the feeling out of 2017, we can’t have a duplicate of that.
Hope I’m wrong but I’m not gonna just approve of every draft cause I’m a wings fan and love yzerman

We had a shot at finish sniper puistola and let him slip , we wanted an offensive defensemen we had a shot at Matthew Robertson at 35 who should see an uptick in minutes this year, What’s tuomisto’s ceiling? If he’s a bottom pair guy that wouldn’t be something to write home about

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You do realize that a normal 7 pick year is generally only 1-2 players correct? So about 3 is average for 11. Unless we have another '89 gift we should be looking at realistic averages and not some ludicrous 4+ players.

Or if we can flip 1-2 for more picks down the road we still have 4-5 years rebuilding most likely.

Yes I’m aware but we also have a 6 pick which should be an automatic nhler in most cases , AND 10 picks after , not 6 if we only land 1 it would be horrible , especially considering who we could of had from picks 35-66

For us to flip 1-2 guys for picks they actually have to be something

Only guys Im hopeful with are johansson cause it’s a hakan pick and soderblom but those guys might just as easy be a bust .... Tyler Wright gives me zero confidence

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yes I’m aware but we also have a 6 pick which should be an automatic nhler in most cases , AND 10 picks after , not 6 if we only land 1 it would be horrible , especially considering who we could of had from picks 35-66

For us to flip 1-2 guys for picks they actually have to be something

Only guys Im hopeful with are johansson cause it’s a hakan pick and soderblom but those guys might just as easy be a bust .... Tyler Wright gives me zero confidence

And Wright didn't appear to have much weight of influence in the room so that's good also.

And discounting picks past round 6 means we had I believe 6-7 after. So if it all goes just average we will have 3 nhl players most likely.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hope I’m wrong but I’m not gonna just approve of every draft cause I’m a wings fan and love yzerman

We had a shot at finish sniper puistola and let him slip , we wanted an offensive defensemen we had a shot at Matthew Robertson at 35 who should see an uptick in minutes this year, What’s tuomisto’s ceiling? If he’s a bottom pair guy that wouldn’t be something to write home about

There's no way a guy with such a plain name (Matthew Robertson) ends up being a top defenseman.

Be wary of guys like that.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
And Wright didn't appear to have much weight of influence in the room so that's good also.

And discounting picks past round 6 means we had I believe 6-7 after. So if it all goes just average we will have 3 nhl players most likely.

Apparently Wright is the one who picked tuomisto and considering his last drafts the sooner he leaves the better

6-7 after round 6 ? Huh

Well hopefully we have at least 4 guys but if they all turn out to be bottom guys this draft will be a big regret so we need at least another guy outside seider to have some sort of decent nhl career considering the guys we passed

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
There's no way a guy with such a plain name (Matthew Robertson) ends up being a top defenseman.

Well I like what I see , + this year he will get a ton more minutes looks to have more high ceiling , all I know is if picks 35-66 are busts and we see all these star guys around them we could of had people will complain and no not just me

Reactions: Leronziia

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

If you look at NHL drafts, statistically, most teams are lucky to get two NHLers out of a draft. Outside of the top-three picks the percentage that makes the NHL drops sharply.

I think this draft could go down as a very good one, or a very bad one. This team has a lot of good forward prospects, they needed defense prospects and they swung for the fences. I think next year they will be drafting top-three, kids are gonna get a lot of games this year so they can mature together.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Bert looks like a second line winger, even on a good team. I'd rather see someone closer to 1 PPG on Larkin's wing for sure.
Still think he’ll drop , especially when veleno,zadina come . What if other guys like berggren pan out , he won’t have to worry about forwards from this draft at least

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
If you look at NHL drafts, statistically, most teams are lucky to get two NHLers out of a draft. Outside of the top-three picks the percentage that makes the NHL drops sharply.

I think this draft could go down as a very good one, or a very bad one. This team has a lot of good forward prospects, they needed defense prospects and they swung for the fences. I think next year they will be drafting top-three, kids are gonna get a lot of games this year so they can mature together.

We also had a top 10 pick and 5 in top 66 ,and 11 total we had only 2 if would be a dissapointed especially considering who we passed on

I’d bet my money on being a very bad one , even if we get 2-3-4 guys I can’t see any outside seider being a big time contributer, hope im wrong , with this teams luck we’d be dead last season and fall to 4

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah that was the thing about Doug Harvey, Larry Robinson, and Scott Stevens that made them so great. It was their crazy names.

Reactions: Leronziia

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
We also had a top 10 pick and 5 in top 66 ,and 11 total we had only 2 if would be a dissapointed especially considering who we passed on

I’d bet my money on being a very bad one , even if we get 2-3-4 guys I can’t see any outside seider being a big time contributer, hope im wrong , with this teams luck we’d be dead last season and fall to 4
you whine about all these pix being bad while ignoring how many guys past the top 20 ever make it . where as if you werent a know it all egomaniac you'd say all these pix after the 6th have very long odds to ever play in the nhl even though the most hockey knowledgable guys on earth are drafting them so im sure not going to sit here and act like i know better when its a guessing game for even nhl organizations . your another ugly modern day know it all on a trip

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
you whine about all these pix being bad while ignoring how many guys past the top 20 ever make it . where as if you werent a know it all egomaniac you'd say all these pix after the 6th have very long odds to ever play in the nhl even though the most hockey knowledgable guys on earth are drafting them so im sure not going to sit here and act like i know better when its a guessing game for even nhl organizations . your another ugly modern day know it all on a trip

Got that off your chest ? Good I couldn’t two shits what you think , I know one thing , if we passed on a bunch of kids that end up being something really good from picks 34-66 a lot of fans who were happy and thrilled will complain nonstop about the wings in a few years

That being said , don’t like what my “ know it all egomaniac self” have to say simply ignore me , shut the hell up and move along to someone else . Everybody wins

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Happy we put more emphasis on hockey sense in this draft, simply because it's been exhausting watching Detroit's numerous low-IQ players skating around aimlessly, being out of position, etc. the last few years. That said one thing Holland did really well in the past was trade down to get more picks and more shots at the can, and I wish Yzerman had done that this year/learns to do that in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad