Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
It was an underwhelming 1st draft for Steve Yzerman from a fan’s perspective, but it’s not difficult to see that he has a plan in place. The team took five forwards, five defensemen, and a goalie with their 11 picks. The defensemen they took appear to be high-ceiling, project prospects, the forwards appear to be the same. Simply put, Yzerman isn’t rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, he’s trying to fix the sinking ship. An interesting note: the Red Wings did not draft a player out of the CHL.
I give this Draft a B, J.J. also gave it a B, while Peter and Prashanth gave it a B-.

RECAP: Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It was underwhelming from SOME fans' perspectives, but not from this fan's.

We don't know how many of these picks, if any, were really Steve's. We might be able to grade him on how well he stuck to the script produced by sports writers and certain scouts who contribute to articles about prospect rankings. Probably, for most of us who like to do a bit of amateur scouting, such pieces on prospect rankings are what we take our queues from. However, I don't think making your own prospect rankings list entitles anyone to second guess and feel upset with Steve, especially not at this point. I've also made the same argument in defense of Holland: You shouldn't expect your team to be robotic when it comes to drafting according to popular prospect rankings.

BPA is not something fans can talk about with much conviction. Not in all honestly. To begin with, real scouts tend not to agree on BPA. Some fans were upset they picked guys who they'd never heard of, and some fans weren't even familiar with Seider let alone beyond. So, I don't feel a lot of sympathy for that perspective.

Defense was not an afterthought in this draft. I liked that. I was also impressed with some of the forwards taken, and I think the goalie we grabbed in the 7th round could be a steal. So, I'm grading A.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
It was underwhelming from SOME fans' perspectives, but not from this fan's.

We don't know how many of these picks, if any, were really Steve's. We might be able to grade him on how well he stuck to the script produced by sports writers and certain scouts who contribute to articles about prospect rankings. Probably, for most of us who like to do a bit of amateur scouting, such pieces on prospect rankings are what we take our queues from. However, I don't think making your own prospect rankings list entitles anyone to second guess and feel upset with Steve, especially not at this point. I've also made the same argument in defense of Holland: You shouldn't expect your team to be robotic when it comes to drafting according to popular prospect rankings.

BPA is not something fans can talk about with much conviction. Not honestly. Some fans were upset they picked guys who they'd never heard of, and some fans weren't even familiar with Seider let alone beyond. So, I don't feel a lot of sympathy for that perspective.

Defense was not an afterthought in this draft. I liked that. I was also impressed with some of the forwards taken, and I think the goalie we grabbed in the 7th round could be a steal. So, I'm grading A.

A? LOL ya someone’s not biased ... last years draft demolishes this year so I gues last year was an A++++ ?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
But what are you basing that on, when you say last year's demolishes this year's. I mean, you can't base your opinion on performance yet. obviously. So, how do you know?
How do the f*** do you want to be taken seriously when your gonnna say this years draft is better

If this was an A What was last year when we drafted zadina,veleno,mcisaac,berggren . Like get real man

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
How do the **** do you want to be taken seriously when your gonnna say this years draft is better

If this was an A What was last year when we drafted zadina,veleno,mcisaac,berggren . Like get real man
Who said this year's was better? Not me! I simply asked you how do you KNOW last year's was better than this year's when you can't base your opinion on performance yet.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Who said this year's was better? Not me! I simply asked you how do you KNOW last year's was better than this year's when you can't base your opinion on performance yet.

Ok dude your ridiculous now keep giving your A grades for a draft you can’t base performances on yet , like that one ?

Zadina, veleno , have more upside than any player picked this year and mcisaac outside of seider has more upside than any d’s picked + add berggren who missed a year but he’s a ton of upside as well

What you going to get excited over up front? Grewe is a nice agitator but he’ll be a 3rd line guy . There’s no homerun potential guys in this draft and we clearly just attacked a need this team has for defensemen, if you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think B- sounds about right

this draft wasn't amazing but I wouldn't really call it bad either just kinda okay(except for the Tuomisto pick that one was horrible)

feels a lot more like 2016(which also had a horrible first 2nd round pick) than 2017 or 2018

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Love Steve yzerman But a lot of ppl will be blinded cause it’s Stevie and he can do no wrong
steve yzerman been living for hockey since could walk . just spent 40 years in nhl . just spent 8 years building tbay into best roster in nhl . just spent a couple years in person scouting all these guys drafted today along with fellow long term nhlers in draper-verbeek-wright and other hockey experts like hakan anderson . and joe blows upset because yzermans draft didnt agree with the mock drafts and nhl media youve read ? lmao , your on a huge ego trip to a place far away from reality .

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Seems like picking defensemen just isn't sexy and exciting? Unless, of course, they are highly rated like Dahlin or even Byram.

WE NEED defensemen. Desperately. I cannot find anything negative written or said about Sieder except "yeah he just doesn't have offensive upside". Also he wasn't scouted much. I believe he could be the 'perfect storm' in the sense of his unique circumstances and not being seen enough by scouts.

As for the later picks, I have a lot of studying to do. But if Stevie Y can fix our D in this one draft (along with having McIssac, Hronek, Cholo)... then we are 3 years closer to competing, imo.

Not a sexy draft, but very possibly effective. Winning cups is waaaayyy more sexy!

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Ok dude your ridiculous now keep giving your A grades for a draft you can’t base performances on yet , like that one ?

Zadina, veleno , have more upside than any player picked this year and mcisaac outside of seider has more upside than any d’s picked + add berggren who missed a year but he’s a ton of upside as well

What you going to get excited over up front? Grewe is a nice agitator but he’ll be a 3rd line guy . There’s no homerun potential guys in this draft and we clearly just attacked a need this team has for defensemen, if you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you

Yeah, no. I first went to length talking about how these grades aren't of much value because they aren't based on performance, and because of that how I personally don't feel entitled to feel upset. You didn't read that part?

Did you read where I also said you shouldn't expect a team to be robotic at the draft? Generally, I like that defense wasn't an afterthought this time around. I like some of the forwards taken because they weren't all guys who I was expecting, and I'm surprised the goalie we got in the 7th was still around. So, I'm happy with it. I'm not audacious enough to pretend I know how these guys will turn out or that I have more insight than the team scouts.

I don't expect that you can really respond to my question about how you know one was better than the other already, but that's my point.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
steve yzerman been living for hockey since could walk . just spent 40 years in nhl . just spent 8 years building tbay into best roster in nhl . just spent a couple years in person scouting all these guys drafted today along with fellow long term nhlers in draper-verbeek-wright and other hockey experts like hakan anderson . and joe blows upset because yzermans draft didnt agree with the mock drafts and nhl media youve read ? lmao , your on a huge ego trip to a place far away from reality .
Your the one whos gonna be in for a reality check in a few years Buddy , if you think even Steve yzerman can’t make a mistake your f***en deluded

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Yeah, no. I first went to length talking about how these grades aren't of much value because they aren't based on performance, and because of that how I personally don't feel entitled to feel upset. You didn't read that part?

Did you read where I also said you shouldn't expect a team to be robotic at the draft? Generally, I like that defense wasn't an afterthought this time around. I like some of the forwards taken because they weren't all guys who I was expecting, and I'm surprised the goalie we got in the 7th was still around. So, I'm happy with it. I'm not audacious enough to pretend I know how these guys will turn out or that I have more insight than the team scouts.

I don't expect that you can really respond to my question about how you know one was better than the other already, and that's my point.

You have no point , none of these guys have high ceilings it’s too bad you’ll only realize this shit in a few years

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think this draft begins and ends with Seider. If he pans out, the draft was a success. He doesn't, and outside of someone being the next Z/D/Kucherov level find and this draft looks a lot less stellar. Credit to Yzerman for swinging for the fences a bit and going his own way with Seider, but missing on a top10 pick is also one of those things that can really hurt a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad