Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I for one am glad we didn’t have a cookie cutter draft. We built our dynasty with oddball picks. I was excited for what Yzerman brought to the organization and trust his judgement until he proves otherwise. Anyone could have drafted Cozens/Broberg/whatever. It’ll remain to be seen if mistakes were made. I’ve seen enough slam dunks amount to nothing in my time to get too worked up over drafts. Drafting is just part of the process while developing and managing players is just as important if not more so (see Oilers).

Yep. We need to keep in mind that, more than likely, a lot of the top 10-15 talents will flame out or become average at best. That's the sad reality of the draft lol.

It's impossible to say in absolutes whether this was a good draft or not. They didn't draft guys who "fell" so they're taking a lot of flack but that's how these draft hot-takes work.

Judging by what our guys are saying (guys I trust like Hakan and Draper), this draft might look really good in a couple of years. I mean, watch that Hakan interview and tell me you're not excited... I can't remember the last time he was that positive about our picks.

I'm limited to highlight reels but I like what I see tbh and there have been years (like 2017) where that wasn't the case right away.

There's a lot of talent with this group. Can't wait for development camp this weekend!

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I think they truly go BPA next year. I hope they revamp the Canadian scouting team and pick a few Canadians kids. Nothing wrong with Euro kids, but it's weird not to pick anyone from the biggest hockey talent pool.

I'm actually one who thinks the CHL had a bit of a down year (esp. OHL), WHL being a slight exception.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
- I don't have any major issues with the draft. I would probably give it a solid B- at the worst. Like all years, we took some guys I probably would not have (at least where we did) and passed on others I would have selected. I understand why many will judge or define the draft based upon how Seider pans out, which is reasonable. I appreciate and respect the conviction in taking Seider where we did. I want the club to believe in the guys they draft early. While I understand the reservations (or caution) about offensive upside, mobility, hockey IQ and passing go a hell of a long way in this game. At the end of the day, the guys I really loved were off the board at 6.

- I don't mind Tuomisto as a prospect but would not have taken him at 35. I like that he is a smart player with a bit of skill and puck-moving ability.

- I absolutely love Mastrosimone and Ethan Phillips and have no knocks on Johansson based upon what I have read (unlike the other two, I have not actually watched him though). I would have been fine with Mastrosimone at 35 which makes Tuomisto at 35 easier to stomach.

- I love where we got Grewe. I have a lot of time for abrasive, physical high motor guys like Grewe provided they can skate reasonably well and have reasonable skill. I like a little bit of crazy on the roster. He needs to lengthen his stride a bit, but he is starting from a pretty good place.

- I like that Moore is described as a super strong skater and has a long developmental runway with the BCHL and North Dakota.

- Soderblom isn't really my type of guy (I think size has diminishing returns at a certain point) but I do like that people are talking about his skill. Oddly enough I am not worried about the knocks with his skating. No one his size skates super well at age 18.

- Berglund I know next to nothing about.

- Our seventh rounders were perfect uses of those picks in my opinion.

I love that the boss' instructions were to focus on smart, competitive players. That shows sound judgment in my opinion and explains why we passed on Lavoie. It does not bother me that we walked away with a lot of defensemen. It has been an issue for this club for a long time and the situation is not going to fix itself.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the more I think about this draft the more I like it overall

I still hate the Tuomisto pick and am not really fully sold on taking Seider(although i'm a lot more okay with it than I thought I would be) but I like the rest of the draft quite a bit at this point

think i'd probably change the B- I gave it to a B,can't really go any higher than that because the first picks are the most important

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think you guys are going to be sold on the draft in the next couple of months, definitely for training camp. I think seeing how good Seider is right now will do a lot. Especially how good he is with the puck, and how badly he wants to contribute offensively. Once the low upside/defensive defenseman thing is gone, people will feel better.

And a strong first pick in combination with the forward picks will have people much more hyped.

Reactions: Frk It

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
Coming around on this draft a lot. After the first five picks, everyone else kind of felt like settling for another winger. Seider caught me by surprise, but I definitely like the pick.
Coming around on tuomisto. He wa the first d taken on day two. Seems like all the scouts are high on him, and he has a ton of upside. There was no way this pick wasn’t highly debated the night before. They all knew he was the pick.
I love the later round picks. Tons of upside and the types of picks I was expecting going into the draft. I love all that we have four years to make a decision on all of them. Seems like Yzerman had this in the back of his mind with the project picks he was making. Also love all the ncaa picks, but that’s just my personal bias.
I keep thinking about Soderblom. He has the skating and hands of a smaller person, but he is 6’7! If he every figures out how to use his body to his advantage, he would be a monster and becomes one of the most interesting forwards in the league.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1st round:
-Moritz Seider; suprising pick, i was 100 % sure that they are going to pick Zegras. But i like this pick. Big, strong, good skater, strong defensively, right handed and i believe his offensive game is under rated. Seider just needs more experience and he needs to grow more in his body, but time will fix that. Next season Seider should play in Germany, familiar surroundings and good place to show more offense.

2nd round:
-Antti Tuomisto; i saw him play at the U18 Worlds. And he didn't impress me at all, but then again whole Team Finland was bad. He definitely has tools to become NHL defender, He is clearly project player, NCAA route is good for him. I still think was taken way too early, too much of a wild card pick at #35

-Robert Mastrosimone; excellent pick, brings more skill and depth. And he is also taking the college route, no need to sign him anytime soon.

-Albert Johansson; another great pick, i think he and Lindström could be solid 3rd pair one day.

3rd round:
-Albin Crewe; potential steal, i seen him play at the U18 Worlds and i was suprised that he fell to the 3rd round. He will fit perfectly in Detroit's team indentity.

rounds 4-7:
-Ethan Phillips; as for a 4rth round pick, he is risk worth to take. But i doubt that he will ever make it to the show. There is thirteen shut-down guys like him in a dozen.

-Cooper Moore; perfect 5th round pick, a raw project and he goes to college so we don't need to him sign after 2 years. More picks like him in future drafts too.

-Elmer Söderblom & Gustav Beglund; good wild card picks, both are worth to use 6th round draft picks. Söderblom is very interesting prospect.

-Kirill Tyutyayev; a skilled, smallish russian from Yekaterinburg.... i like him already. Kivenmäki and Tyutyayev are perfect 7th round picks, im glad that its starting to be our trend.
-Carter Gylander; Im not really a fan to draft a goalie every year. And last year Red Wings picked 2 goalies, so they could have picked another "tiny-tim" forward like Sean Dhooghe :D

Overall, it was solid draft but last years draft was better.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Checking in on our draftees

#6 Moritz Seider - AHL - 8 pts in 16 games

#35 Antti Tumoisto - Jr. SM-liiga - 25 points in 23 games

#54 Robert Mastrosimone - NCAA - 7 points in 10 games

#60 Albert Johansson - SuperElit/SHL - 5 points in 17 games

#66 Albin Grew - SuperElit/SHL - 6 points in 19 games

#96 Ethan Phillips - NCAA - 3 points in 10 games

#128 Cooper Moore - BCHL - 14 points in 23 games

#159 Elmer Söderblom - SuperElit - 29 points in 19 games

#177 Gustav Berglund - SuperElit/SHL - 3 points in 15 games

#190 Kirill Tyutyayev - MHL - 4 points in 4 games

#191 Carter Gylander - AJHL - 2.19GAA, .922sv%

Looking pretty good. I would say we have at least 5 picks performing at a very high level (Seider, Tuomisto, Mastrosimone, Johansson, Söderblom) and no one sticks out as doing terrible.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If Seider ends up being a top pair d-man and if any other prospect becomes a top 4 D or top 6 forward, it's an amazing draft. Or if any 2 prospects make the roster, it's still a good draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Very early but... this draft class is tracking pretty well so far.

Seider definitely looks promising.

The 4 Swedes (Johansson, Grewe, Soderblom, Berglund) have all gotten some SHL games in their +1 season, which is encouraging. Especially when some of our other recent picks from Sweden are still hanging in the lower levels (Elfstrom, Malmstrom). Hopefully Hakan has found his old magic touch again. Stevie really trusted him in this last draft.

Mastrosimone and Phillips have done pretty good at BU so far. We will see how Tuomisto looks next year when he crosses the pond. Should have some impactful guys in the NCAA next year.

Cooper Moore and Carter Gylander have posted good numbers in Junior A.

Everything is going pretty well so far with these picks. (knock on wood)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This blows the 2017 draft out of the water. Amazing how different the strategy is between last years draft and the 2017 draft. Let's hope Steve continues with this strategy picking a late round goalie, some defenders with great skating and highly skilled forwards.

Maybe thrown in a Antti Honka/Puistola kind of pick. High risk, high reward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad