Here’s how the Red Wings did in the 2019 NHL Draft

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
dunno about the others but wasn't Fedorov viewed as basically a guaranteed star if he ever came over to the NHL?
Russian players had to escape back in the day so can’t imagine too many of them being drafted early on + back in the day no YouTube to watch videos or internet to watch countless games, articles

Not much to bitch about cause not much to be known

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder how this board/these bloggers would've graded the '89 draft hours after it happened.

(No, I'm not comparing these players to the Wings picks in '89.)

(Yes, I realize there was no Internet in '89.)

that would have been fun to check afterwards.

For 100% sure, least discussion would have happened about that meh swedish defenceman called Lidström. :eek::rolleyes:

Who wasn't fast or noticeably good at anything. He really wasn't! He just played the best.

Going after hockey IQ with these defencemen is as good plan as any plan.

Smart guys will win the stupid ones at any day of the week.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
How about waiting 3-4 years, before expressing your "expert" opinion?

I'd agree that you should typically wait 2-4 years before you make and judgement, but you can evaluate a draft once it's done. As recently as 2017 there were people suggesting that the Wings had a poor draft due to the focus on character and size, we also heard the phrase "hard-nosed" or "steady defender" to describe those players. I don't think 2019 is anywhere close to as bad as 2017, but it's also not what I would call maximizing your selections. LA, Colorado, Toronto, and the Hurricanes all made some great selections with a focus on upside, while I will say that the Wings selection aren't really my fancy it isn't an awful draft, I just prefer those 4 teams choices.

• I'm not as disappointed with the Seider pick after sleeping on it though I do still going with a forward would have the better choice.
  • I think Tuomisto was a reach at 35 and he's the only early pick I truly dislike. Hopefully he can prove me wrong and show he has better upside than his production would suggest.
  • Mastrosimone was fantastic value,
  • Grewe and Johansson were fine picks. While I'd have preferred a couple of players over both of them they weren't really reaches.
  • Phillips is interesting as well and I think he's decent enough value in the 4th
  • I have no idea what to make of Moore, my first instinct is to question it given the league he played in, but his production suggests he may have untapped upside.
  • The Hakan picks on the other hand... I'm not sure what to make of Elmer or Berglund. Both have production that should put you on a do not draft list as very few players score as little as they did and even earn an ELC, let alone make it to the NHL.
  • The Russian is interesting, he's an overager that led his team in scoring by a huge margin and was by far and away the best talent on his team. And we had a token goalie in the 7th as well.

If I had to give the draft a theme it would be "Taking guys you like". There's nothing wrong with reaching for players as the only board that matters at the end of the day is the one your team came up with. That being said, I do think players comparable to Tuomisto, Elmer, Berglund, and Phillips would have been available later on and the Wings should have waited to select them. There's an arugement to be made for "getting your guy", I just don't think it was worth the loss of value.

Overall, it's not an awful draft, but it's also not great. I'd give it a C+/B-, hopefully in 2 years time I'll be eating crow and being made fun of via quotes. One thing I will say is that if the Wings can go out and sign some good UDFA my opinion of the draft will change. Bring Linus Nyman, Justin Bergeron, Billy Constantinoum, and Xavier Simoneau and let them compete for an ELC. If I could I'd sign Bergeron, Nyman, and Simoneau right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zetterbeer

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Russian players had to escape back in the day so can’t imagine too many of them being drafted early on + back in the day no YouTube to watch videos or internet to watch countless games, articles

Not much to ***** about cause not much to be known

yeah there was definitely some uncertainty in that which is why he fell to the 4th round instead of being a high 1st

the point is I don't think anyone would have questioned his talent

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
yeah there was definitely some uncertainty in that which is why he fell to the 4th round instead of being a high 1st

the point is I don't think anyone would have questioned his talent
No doubt but nobody ever knew if they’d be able to escape Russia and didn’t want to waste picks . Same kinda stuff being seen today without more dramatic stuff of escaping Russia rather than just leaving

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Chris Peters of ESPN

Detroit Red Wings: B

Favorite pick: Robert Mastrosimone

Let's talk about reaching. The Red Wings definitely went a bit off the board to get Moritz Seider, but I like the player. Had they traded down, perhaps no one would have batted an eye. But in the end, they got the guy they ultimately wanted. Where he goes from here is a bit of a mystery because of the relatively small role he played on his German pro team. There's no question he has talent -- we just need to see him in more situations. I also thought Antti Tuomisto was a really risky pick where the Red Wings got him, but I don't mind the bet on a towering defenseman who is still pretty raw.

The Red Wings get a higher grade despite the risk because of the value they got out of the middle-round picks. I really like Mastrosimone for both his skill and competitiveness. Albert Johansson has some legit skill and poise, too. Albin Grewe is a physical forward with some limited offensive upside, but I've long been intrigued by his toolbox. And my favorite bet that the Red Wings made? Elmer Soderblom, a 6-foot-7 forward who needs a lot of work. But I think he skates well for such a big man, and he has some hands. If they hit on him, he'd be one of the more unique forwards in the game, given his size and apparent skill. Whether or not the Red Wings reached early on, they made their system better at this draft.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I've seen some people compare this draft to 2017, but I don't really see that. There was a lot of just drafting for grit and intangibles in that draft, and even afterwards Holland and the staff weren't really talking about the skill. The guys they drafted today, they are still talking about their skill, with obviously a couple of exceptions like Grewe, who they are really focused on the compete level.

Overall, I'm going to agree that the end grade of this draft really hinges on Seider. Whether he pans out or not is going to play a huge part in how quickly this team transitions from rebuilding to a contender. For the second and third round, I'm overall pretty satisfied with the apparent value. They took Tuomisto quite a few places higher than he was ranked, but there are publications that have all of Mastrosimone, Johansson, Grewe, and Phillips ranked a fair bit better than where we drafted them. After that it is a bunch of players that I don't have any familiarity with, but the later rounds are always a dice roll.

So, let's give it a year and see how things pan out. I'm personally worried Seider may be more Luke Schenn than he is Alex Pietrangelo, but I'm willing to let it play out for now.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I wonder how this board/these bloggers would've graded the '89 draft hours after it happened.

(No, I'm not comparing these players to the Wings picks in '89.)

(Yes, I realize there was no Internet in '89.)

Too many soft euros! This is why Detroit will never win a cup anytime soon!

Armchair fans are the best. If Holland was still here it would be nothing but rage. But since it's Yzerman there is a benefit of doubt. If not perhaps over-praise.

It's all meaningless sport talk fans at the end of the day. With some taking it far more serious(I.E. They should have done this, this and this! I ACTUALLY know what to DO!) than others.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I've seen some people compare this draft to 2017, but I don't really see that. There was a lot of just drafting for grit and intangibles in that draft, and even afterwards Holland and the staff weren't really talking about the skill. The guys they drafted today, they are still talking about their skill, with obviously a couple of exceptions like Grewe, who they are really focused on the compete level.

Overall, I'm going to agree that the end grade of this draft really hinges on Seider. Whether he pans out or not is going to play a huge part in how quickly this team transitions from rebuilding to a contender. For the second and third round, I'm overall pretty satisfied with the apparent value. They took Tuomisto quite a few places higher than he was ranked, but there are publications that have all of Mastrosimone, Johansson, Grewe, and Phillips ranked a fair bit better than where we drafted them. After that it is a bunch of players that I don't have any familiarity with, but the later rounds are always a dice roll.

So, let's give it a year and see how things pan out. I'm personally worried Seider may be more Luke Schenn than he is Alex Pietrangelo, but I'm willing to let it play out for now.

I think part of the concern may have been from the fact that size seemed to be factor in both 2017 and 2019. The difference, at least in my opinion, is that the players we selected ion 2019 are not just big, but also have other attributes that make them attractive players. While the Wings passed on some players with skill to draft some of the defenceman I don't think it was near as egregious as in 2017. Though I can't help but think of adding Fagemo, Mastrosimone, Legare, and Puistola with our 2nds and 3rd. As always, we can only hope for the best development now that they're the Wings.

Reactions: wingsnut19

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I give Detroit an A grade. At worst Seider becomes the German Josh Manson, i see him becoming a much more talented version of Josh Manson that puts up 45 to 50 points while playing a extremely reliable defensive game. Trading down carried the risk that Edmonton would nab him at #8 because Holland may have the same info on Seider and Edmonton may have been set on Broberg because they felt Seider would be gone. Our GM said he liked Seider alot too and is the one who reached with Lindholm at #6 in 2012.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
the most important factor for me concerning any dman is how do they handle the puck in their own end ? the ticking time bombs of hollands slow thinking dmen type like smith , kindl , and quincey did that to me . now yzerman gets right to it with two guys in cider and anti that are said to be quick thinking and excellent handling / passing puck in own end . heap great reach that can be utilized to de-puck or road block opponants in own end , plus athletic skating and im ecstatic . these are the type shut down guys holland would never add . then theres mastro the sniping winger whose appropriate at that stage of draft . and trex whom hakan saids dad and brother are both like 6'3'' , every team needs these tough guys that can keep up with the pace . a no brainer pick late second . then the all around swede dman another no brainer . i like how it stacked up because despite what most say about bpa you cant do that forever when a depth chart is so weak on defense . and besides that most rate a player by points so are going to see a cozens or zegras as way better than a low scoring shut down defender when in reality a guy like cider is just as valuable but thats not seeable via stats . the time was forced to happen when we took zadina last draft instead of a bouchard , and bergen instead of a wilde . yzerman had to add d and im in total agreement with the type shutdown towering dmen he added as opposed to a smaller more talented d type . and were finally building a roster with proper nhl size as opposed to all the years of being bulldozed off rinks !

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
More than happy with this draft, there’s huge upside in many of these picks. So much complaining about the difficulty of finding a number 1 D, the Wings finally draft a guy with the potential and there’s still an uproar because he was taken earlier than the rankings had him. Just think, if you look back and re-do any previous draft the order you’d take them now won’t look anything like the pre-draft rankings.

And funny how posters still bag on 2017 and the Rasmussen pick when no player taken after him has put up better numbers in the NHL. Also love how the narrative’s become “Necas was the guy I wanted” when it was herniated discs Vilardi and Liljegren just as many posters here were lamenting passing on after the draft took place.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Like any draft, we won't know how to evaluate these picks for a few years.

I think we'd largely agree that, based on perceived value, there were some underwhelming choices.

I really like the direction we're heading in, but I have some pretty serious reservations as well.

My win conditions for this draft (for 2022)

1. A top pairing defenseman- if you take a defenseman at #6, #35, #60, #128, and #177, I really do think you need to develop a top pairing guy from this draft class. That is a tooooon of assets to sink into the blue line, especially the top 10 pick and two seconds. To call this draft a success, I think we've got to look back in a few years and say, "Yeah, not everyone panned out. But it was worth it because X is one of our top guys on D." Seider is obviously the most likely candidate there, but a hit on Johansson, Tuomisto, or the depth guys would also work of course.

2. A middle six winger- passing on the forwards available at #6 and #35 puts more pressure on guys like Zadina and Veleno to pan out as top six guys. To supplement this, I'd really like to see one of Mastrosimone, Grewe, or the depth guys carve out a role as a middle six guy. While things are falling into place more clearly on offense than on defense, we still need to continue stocking the cupboards with talented forwards. I don't expect a top line guy out of this forward group, but with five picks I'd like to see a middle six, quality NHLer.

3. Another NHLer- most likely one of the second round defensemen, but any other prospect could qualify here. If for example, Seider proved to be a minute-munching #2 defenseman, Mastrosimone found a role as a supplemetary middle six guy, and Johansson/Tuomisto served as #4 or #5 guy, Grewe found a role as a third line pest, etc. this condition would be met.

On initial reaction, this is what I'd want to see to consider this draft a success. It might seem ambitious, but we had a top 10 pick, three seconds, and plenty of depth picks. To successfully rebuild, you've got to hit on some of those.

Ultimately I remain less thrilled than 2018, and I'm seeing some eerie similarities to 2017, but I remain optimistic that we've added a few quality guys going forward here.

P.S. RIP the Zegras Dream (January 2019-June 2019)

Edit: For the record, I generally do like our work this draft.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What we did from pick 54 on was great. I think this might be the best we have drafted in rounds 3-7 in awhile. I think USHL + HS + Euros is absolutely the way to go after the first 50 picks in the draft. I hope that’s something we continue to do.

Just not sure what to make of those first 2 picks. Feels like we really went out on a limb with those two while also possibly reaching.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Not at all surprised by all the complaints going on. Most of these players drafted are quite unknown to the average hockey fan. The consensus on most picks is that they all have high ceilings and are considered players of high risk. If the Wings would have made safer picks, I’m sure everyone would be complaining as well.... Personally I love this draft. It addressed our desperate need of talented defensemen which in my opinion is harder to find then forwards. We drafted players who have a high compete level, which in most cases helps players find the next step needed to move on and succeed in the next level. Will be fun to see a few years down the line how these kids pan out though, I mean after all that’s what they are: kids; and many things can change between now and the next few years.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We need c and d prospect's to develop and/or get flipped for assets to improve. I see plenty of them drafted. Now it's wait and see. Hope we hit on 2-4.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I don’t know why, but Stevie Y looks less than thrilled with the picks. Maybe just a poker face.

And of course, Tuo was a Wright pick, as I thought. The guy just seems to go for size and size only.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Wright is gone by next draft.
Oh that punks leaving , rewatch the whole video when we picked seider Wright and Draper weren’t thrilled and towards the end you see Draper forcing a fake smile

Wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves as well for edmonton

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
What we did from pick 54 on was great. I think this might be the best we have drafted in rounds 3-7 in awhile. I think USHL + HS + Euros is absolutely the way to go after the first 50 picks in the draft. I hope that’s something we continue to do.

Just not sure what to make of those first 2 picks. Feels like we really went out on a limb with those two while also possibly reaching.
No way rounds 3-7 was better last year alone

Eliasson has potential to be a steal if he continues going upwards and potentially start for Sweden at the juniors , 6’4 regula has a chance to be on the wings and will be the go to guy in London next year so I’m expecting a big season, kivenmaki looks like a real potential steal and we still have a few more years of barton and oreilly to see what happens

Grewe projects as a bottom 6 f , others are all wait and see atm and I don’t see high ceiling guys so let’s hope a few pan out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad