Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he scores 70 points, who would be his market comparables? It's a difficult situation. How often is there an RFA defense man coming off a 65-70 point season? He could potentially finish top-5 in scoring this season amongst all NHL defense men. I think $7M will be near the bottom of what he would accept.
Makes no difference what he would accept. Only thing that matters is arbitration. This is not a habitual 60 point scorer. Arbiter would not treat him that way. If he only will accept what he has in his head, he can sit out for 3 consecutive years and then see what it gets him.

Not that this is relevant. He will be signed long term this year or next. And it will not be at$7m per.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rangers can retain on it. If the Rangers want to get out of this mess, retain up to 50%. No team will have a problem with Henrik at a $4.25M cap hit.

It's not a big deal. It's a far better solution than a buy out for all parties. Rangers can look like they have some decorum and treat a franchise player who gave his career to this team with some grace and dignity, and Henrik helps the Rangers because they will be able to keep both Georgiev and Shesterkin long term.

We buy him out, it's an additional $1.5M cap hit next year, on top of Shattenkirks $6.8M, Girardi's cap penalty, and who knows what else.

Is there another team in the NHL who is going to have $10-12M in dead cap space next year? How are you supposed to ice a competitive team with that much dead cap space? And with new contracts coming up like DeAngelo who will get a MASSIVE pay raise.

A contending team should have a problem with a $4.5M back-up.

I am all for trading Hank at 50%. It's the easiest out for us. The battle is convincing both him AND another team to take that, though.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
A contending team should have a problem with a $4.5M back-up.

I am all for trading Hank at 50%. It's the easiest out for us. The battle is convincing both him AND another team to take that, though.

The Avs can manage it, and not for nothing, I know we are spoiled with goaltending over here, but I would take Henrik Lundqvist over a healthy Grubauer 10 times out of 10.

He would also be an upgrade for the Hurricanes. There are a number of teams where he would be an upgrade.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
I have to seriously wonder if it may be best to buy out the final year of Lundqvist's contract in the offseason. It's clear that Igor Shesterkin has seized the starting job with his play and Alexandr Georgiev could be the backup next season. There just isn't room for Henrik Lundqvist, who will be 38 in less than two weeks, on the roster anymore. The cap space will be needed for Chris Kreider, if not traded, and Tony DeAngelo, a potential offer-sheet candidate.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Geeze. He didn’t even get the bench tonight.

I know they said he did some extra work sessions after practice but that could not have been a comfortable conversation between him and Quinn.

Feel for the guy I do, but the writing was on the wall long ago. How does he think next year is going to go?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Geeze. He didn’t even get the bench tonight.

I know they said he did some extra work sessions after practice but that could not have been a comfortable conversation between him and Quinn.

Feel for the guy I do, but the writing was on the wall long ago. How does he think next year is going to go?
According to Swedish media, Quinn told them it was Hank's own decision to leave the bench for Georgiev.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I have to seriously wonder if it may be best to buy out the final year of Lundqvist's contract in the offseason. It's clear that Igor Shesterkin has seized the starting job with his play and Alexandr Georgiev could be the backup next season. There just isn't room for Henrik Lundqvist, who will be 38 in less than two weeks, on the roster anymore. The cap space will be needed for Chris Kreider, if not traded, and Tony DeAngelo, a potential offer-sheet candidate.
Probably would be for the best if he just retired, buying him out would leave a sour taste for everyone. I wonder if he still wants to play for Frölunda with his brother.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
According to Swedish media, Quinn told them it was Hank's own decision to leave the bench for Georgiev.

yeah I heard Quinn say it in his postgame too. Good on Hank. Guy is a fierce competitor, but that’s a team guy through and through.

He loves being a Ranger. You can say all you want about how he was given a chance to leave. But you don’t hear him complaining. It’s gotta be tough

That was a subtle move no one will really talk about, but it says volumes about who this guy is and how much he loves this franchise.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I know people want to make it dramatic, or noble or some evil team decision, depending on whose "side" you're on. I think the simple answer is that Raleigh is one of those buildings with no room on the bench for the backup goalie and Hank really didn't feel like sitting in the tunnel across the rink all night by himself. Instead he got to sit with Mom up in the box. Nothing bad or anything. Hank realizes where they are and the situation and says f*** that noise and asks Quinn to let him sit out.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I know people want to make it dramatic, or noble or some evil team decision, depending on whose "side" you're on. I think the simple answer is that Raleigh is one of those buildings with no room on the bench for the backup goalie and Hank really didn't feel like sitting in the tunnel across the rink all night by himself. Instead he got to sit with Mom up in the box. Nothing bad or anything. Hank realizes where they are and the situation and says f*** that noise and asks Quinn to let him sit out.

You know that probably played a lot into the decision too didn’t think about that aspect.

It was friggin hilarious when they showed Georgiev sitting there and he gave a little nod to the camera. Someone needs to make a gif of that

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

As soon as I saw the bench situation in Raleigh this was my take as well. I've been the isolated backup before. It sucks.

Reactions: haveandare

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I love Hank, and I’ve been quiet about it, but his time is coming to an end in NY. I could see them buying him out this summer or approach him again if he is willing to waive his NMC. It sucks because we saw this guy over the years shine in NY, and have been through the ups and downs of this team with him.

Igor is the real deal and the transition was going to happen eventually but it happened a little sooner than expected and that is a good thing.

Between Hank and Kreider its been though for me, I said to myself was not going to get too attached to players, but its hard to not root for these guys.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Anything saying Hank "demands" a trade is absurd and wrong. He literally controls what happens to him, not Gorton.

Also it's a trade rumor website, so automatically false

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
The headline reads "demands", and is garbage. The text created by the author instead reads "has let it be known" he would like to be moved. Whether or not it's sourced legitimately, it's more likely to be true than not... and if it's not, it probably will be.

If in fact management is not satisfied that either Georgiev can rate enough return to make it worth moving him now, or else they just have decided the Russian combo is too good a situation to walk away from with Hank fading a little at 38... well, if it's Lundqvist or Georgiev leaving and it's not Georgiev...

Lundqvist would dearly love to finish his entire career as King of New York, and it's OK to wish things had turned out that way, but somehow we ended up with not one but two great young goalies while he was still in town. Ideally he would have mentored one for a couple more years as he edged toward the door. But he believes he can still play at a high level, and his desire to do that SOMEWHERE is certainly going to trump his preference to finish in NYC. And finally, I'm sure management has been keeping him somewhat up to date with their thinking, and part of that conversation would pretty much have to go "So... we don't think you can be one of our top two going into next season. What do you want to do?", and the response being "I want to keep playing".

So, not a demand, and maybe not even real YET, but it's going to be real.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yeah, well it's very simple. If you want a buyout or eat popcorn for $8.5m a year, you stay. If you still love hockey, you ask for a trade. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad