Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Colorado has cap space for this and next year, they can handle it.

Avs just gave Francouz an extension and Sakic seems pretty content with how he has played and has earned his spot there. He has 15 wins, a 2.33 GAA and .926SV%. Cant ask for more out of a backup than that.

The cap space will be much better spent than bringing in another goalie, who even at %50 retained almost makes just as much as Grubauer and Francouz on his own.

Carolina is one of the few playoff teams that needs a goalie, I don't see Mrazek or Reimer really doing it for them, but it's so unlikely Lundqvist would waive to go there.

Last edited:

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Avs just gave Francouz an extension and Sakic seems pretty content with how he has played and has earned his spot there. He has 15 wins, a 2.33 GAA and .926SV%. Cant ask for more out of a backup than that.

The cap space will be much better spent than bringing in another goalie, who even at %50 retained almost makes just as much as Grubauer and Francouz on his own.

Carolina is one of the few playoff teams that needs a goalie, I don't see Mrazek or Reimer really doing it for them, but it's so unlikely Lundqvist would waive to go there.

They just lost both their goalies tonight (the Marlies' Zamboni driver played the final half of the game).

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I've loved Hank for 15 years so I'm hoping he retires a Rangers. I'm not sure what the penalties would be if he were to this off season but I'm glad he stayed put. Hopefully he'll get some games in with Igor now hurt

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So, big day tomorrow for him. 4 games in two months and now he's expected to deliver. If he does, big kudos to him and if he doesn't I cannot blame him. Not even backups play so few games and he has never been used to that. Stone cold.

Personally, I would've gone with Georgiev again, just because Hank is more used to eating popcorn by now. To break down Hank like this and then expect him to bring it, I don't know. But if he plays great and the team gets a win? Holy hell. That's a story.

He can do it. No pressure.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So, big day tomorrow for him. 4 games in two months and now he's expected to deliver. If he does, big kudos to him and if he doesn't I cannot blame him. Not even backups play so few games and he has never been used to that. Stone cold.

Personally, I would've gone with Georgiev again, just because Hank is more used to eating popcorn by now. To break down Hank like this and then expect him to bring it, I don't know. But if he plays great and the team gets a win? Holy hell. That's a story.

He can do it. No pressure.

Is he even confirmed the starter sunday?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Nope. But, if he's not starting after Georgie gives up a 5 spot (not his fault) then you really have to wonder a.) if he's played his last game as a Ranger and b.) what DQ's agenda here really is.

I agree. If he doesnt start today, it would make me feel that Quinn simply has it out for Henrik.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
The only upside in all of the Hank sitting has got to point toward the reports on Shesty, while secretive, have been nothing but positive.

I miss Hank though.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
He's in. I hope he pitches a shutout and gives DQ a huge middle finger

I don't really see the issue with Quinn's non-use of Hank over the past few weeks. Igor was rolling, and so was Georgiev. It just happened recently that the teams we were playing, Islanders meant that Georgie was going to get those games.

It makes perfect sense after we bled 5 goals against the Flyers that Hank gets this game with Igor out for a bit. This is exactly how it would be if Igor wasn't even in the conversation.

Hank might be rusty, but he's the most competitive guy there is. He will be ready to prove everyone (even some 'fans') wrong, and I think besides any rust he will go out and leave it all out there on the ice.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don't really see the issue with Quinn's non-use of Hank over the past few weeks. Igor was rolling, and so was Georgiev. It just happened recently that the teams we were playing, Islanders meant that Georgie was going to get those games.

It makes perfect sense after we bled 5 goals against the Flyers that Hank gets this game with Igor out for a bit. This is exactly how it would be if Igor wasn't even in the conversation.

Hank might be rusty, but he's the most competitive guy there is. He will be ready to prove everyone (even some 'fans') wrong, and I think besides any rust he will go out and leave it all out there on the ice.

Georgiev has given up 3 or more goals in 4 of his last 7 starts. I don't think Lundqvist would've done any worse given that the team is being more defensively responsible since late December.

I really didn't have a huge issue until the last Philadelphia game - back to back games, Philly on the road and flying in from Montreal (international flight getting back to the hotel late), and starting Georgiev again. Lundqvist should've gotten that start.

The more minor issue is that it's been a month since he played due to this ridiculous goalie carousel so having lofty expectations is pretty unreasonable for a guy that's been riding the pine for a month. It puts him in a position to fail and get bumped from starts again moving forward. I hope, for his sake, he gets a "W" today. The guy deserves it.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I seem to remember that lundqvist was always known for staying back close towards his net- I feel like that might be the philosophy he should adapt going forward. Less movement. Work the angles. It feels like things around him feel real.. sad, all of the sudden. It’s a shame. He’s been a such a great soldier for the team. Rooting for him to get some kind of win in general soon.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If you blame either Georgiev or Lundqvist for the loss against Philly, you have an agenda. Plain and simple. You can't blame one goalie, but give the other a pass. Both goalies gave up a bad goal or two, but we should not forget that this was against a team now firmly above 80 points. So far in 2020, we have beaten 1 team that's above 80 points in the standings, and that was Colorado on Jan 8th (Shestyorkin's debut).

We've had a, and yes I enjoy using this word, cup cake schedule in recent weeks. We've beaten the Devils, Kings, Sharks, Senators, Wild, Sabres, Canadiens, Hurricanes and Islanders. None of those are real contenders. If you think things got ugly this weekend, strap yourself in, boys. Because we are playing the Capitals, Stars, Blues, Avalanche, Coyotes, Flames and Penguins (twice) in the next 3 weeks. Oh, there's a game against the Devils on Saturday but that's about it when it comes to favourable matchups.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If you blame either Georgiev or Lundqvist for the loss against Philly, you have an agenda. Plain and simple. You can't blame one goalie, but give the other a pass. Both goalies gave up a bad goal or two, but we should not forget that this was against a team now firmly above 80 points. So far in 2020, we have beaten 1 team that's above 80 points in the standings, and that was Colorado on Jan 8th (Shestyorkin's debut).

We've had a, and yes I enjoy using this word, cup cake schedule in recent weeks. We've beaten the Devils, Kings, Sharks, Senators, Wild, Sabres, Canadiens, Hurricanes and Islanders. None of those are real contenders. If you think things got ugly this weekend, strap yourself in, boys. Because we are playing the Capitals, Stars, Blues, Avalanche, Coyotes, Flames and Penguins (twice) in the next 3 weeks. Oh, there's a game against the Devils on Saturday but that's about it when it comes to favourable matchups.

Agreed. They both gave up 5 goals back to back to the same team and, honestly, despite the recent record the Rangers haven't been all that sharp the past few games.

I'm curious where this is heading this summer. If I'm Georgiev then I'm looking at being a backup for the foreseeable future. Shesterkin has succeeded on every level and there's no reason to believe that Georgiev is going to supplant him. Ever. I'd ask for a trade if I were him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

This.

It's what I've been saying. We should have sold harder at the deadline
This was never going to be the year...next year was

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain. For whatever reason people hold Hank's contract (either $ or NMC) as a personal slight against them. Its the only way to logically explain the emotional hatred some people have.

If I were to place a bet on Hank's future based on his personality and his career decisions, he "retires" and plays one more season for Frolunda with his brother. They prolly win another Championship and then he seals the deal with another World Championship. This would also keep the door open for possibly playing in the Olympics if the NHL chooses not to release its players again.

Hank is too much of a competitor to go out on a performance like this. He's gonnna want to prove to himself in a true full time gig whether he has it or not. He won't get that chance here, but he is still royalty in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad