Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Oh? That's not what you meant? Ok, I apologize. Yes, it's a language barrier thing. Well, let's just assume you had a fictional role then. ;)

It was a misunderstanding. I thought you meant buyout much rather than a 50% salary trade.

Haha, no, dude! The 50% trade is definitely better. He just hasn't waived his NMC. I was saying send him smoke signals so he'd waive it! :)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Haha, no, dude! The 50% trade is definitely better. He just hasn't waived his NMC. I was saying send him smoke signals so he'd waive it! :)
Ah, that's where I lost you, I misinterpreted the smoke signals. Well, isn't that what smoke signals are for? Oh, wait, aren't they used to gain attention? Dammit. I'm much too modern, I'm thinking of smoke screens that tanks have. Not the open fire and flailing with a carpet.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ah, that's where I lost you, I misinterpreted the smoke signals. Well, isn't that what smoke signals are for? Oh, wait, aren't they used to gain attention? Dammit. I'm much too modern, I'm thinking of smoke screens that tanks have. Not the open fire and flailing with a carpet.

I figured you Swedes had some magical way of communicating with one another :P

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
@Chimp needs to brush up on his old westerns.:)
How can this not be considered a western tale? Albeit a modern western tale, but the lone gunman was smart enough to pull back instead of unrealistically believing he could take it all on?

But seriously, yes, I have watched my fair share of westerns. From "The good, the bad and the ugly", to "My name is Trinity", to "3:10 to Yuma." But, never in any film, have I ever seen a genuine smoke signal used, ever. I've never seen anyone making smoke signals with a blanket, except for once in some Lucky Luke comics, way back in the day when I thought throwing myself down an icy hill was fun.

Lundqvist should be the tank pulling back. Instead he believes he's some goddamn character arriving at Alamo, without knowing the full story. The goddamn stubborn bastard.

edit: And yes, the CV90 is a beautiful animal, outclassing the Bradley for example, which is a Pentagon debacle in itself. But that's another story. I know my westerns, but I don't know my smoke signals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Siddi

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
They did not start out 3 years ago as sellers. They went into that year intending to be true playoff contenders. You know that perfectly well. In the second half of the year, reality set in and "the letter" went out. Ergo, it has been TDLs of being sellers, but not 3 years at the beginning of which you knew that you were not going to be competitive. That has been two years and two training camps. They didn't start 2017 with the idea of giving up. That is the only point. Silly semantics

Yeah, but that's not what he said. He said: "And when they trade Kreider, they're officially "giving up" on the season, for the third straight year."

Selling TDL 2017-18 McD, etc... Year One
Selling TDL 2018-19 Zuccarello, Hayes, et... Year Two
Selling TDL 2019-20 Kreider etc... Year three

He's not wrong because he is specifically referencing the deadline, not the letter, not the intent at the start of the season, not the Stepan trade, etc...

You're making a different point than he is.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, but that's not what he said. He said: "And when they trade Kreider, they're officially "giving up" on the season, for the third straight year."

Selling TDL 2017-18 McD, etc... Year One
Selling TDL 2018-19 Zuccarello, Hayes, et... Year Two
Selling TDL 2019-20 Kreider etc... Year three

He's not wrong because he is specifically referencing the deadline, not the letter, not the intent at the start of the season, not the Stepan trade, etc...

You're making a different point than he is.
And that is where I disagree. But whatever. I think that we are all looking at the same thing just with a different context.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
And that is where I disagree. But whatever. I think that we are all looking at the same thing just with a different context.

So, hypothetically they could be 2-4 points out of a playoff spot on deadline day and you don’t think trading Kreider for futures is giving up on the season? Interesting.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So, hypothetically they could be 2-4 points out of a playoff spot on deadline day and you don’t think trading Kreider for futures is giving up on the season? Interesting.
Krieder is a bit of a different animal. Trading him may well be due to not letting him walk away with nothing in return. Is that the same thing as giving up?

Reactions: yrrebbor

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
At this point, he should ask Gorton for a trade to Colorado. It would be a perfect fit. With MacKinnon at his peak, window is now, Grubauer is out, make one more run at a Cup.

It wouldnt be the first time a player had to go to Colorado to win a Cup.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Igor in tonight despite Hank absolutely owning the Canes in all three starts this season. Vince said it: if not this game hard to predict when Hank goes next.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
At this point, he should ask Gorton for a trade to Colorado. It would be a perfect fit. With MacKinnon at his peak, window is now, Grubauer is out, make one more run at a Cup.

What does Colorado do with his cap hit next year . . . ?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

While it makes sense for Colorado to go all in this year and add a Kreider, it makes no sense for them to add salary for future. Sakic is going to have his hands full trying to sign his own players.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
What happens if Hank just retires at the end of this year "due to undisclosed injury." Does he get paid for next season, and we regain the cap space, or does he just collect they money every week as standard until the contract ends, and we keep the cap hit?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
What does Colorado do with his cap hit next year . . . ?

Rangers can retain on it. If the Rangers want to get out of this mess, retain up to 50%. No team will have a problem with Henrik at a $4.25M cap hit.

It's not a big deal. It's a far better solution than a buy out for all parties. Rangers can look like they have some decorum and treat a franchise player who gave his career to this team with some grace and dignity, and Henrik helps the Rangers because they will be able to keep both Georgiev and Shesterkin long term.

We buy him out, it's an additional $1.5M cap hit next year, on top of Shattenkirks $6.8M, Girardi's cap penalty, and who knows what else.

Is there another team in the NHL who is going to have $10-12M in dead cap space next year? How are you supposed to ice a competitive team with that much dead cap space? And with new contracts coming up like DeAngelo who will get a MASSIVE pay raise.

Last edited:

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
What happens if Hank just retires at the end of this year "due to undisclosed injury." Does he get paid for next season, and we regain the cap space, or does he just collect they money every week as standard until the contract ends, and we keep the cap hit?
We’re still paying on Girardi and he’s retired

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Igor in tonight despite Hank absolutely owning the Canes in all three starts this season. Vince said it: if not this game hard to predict when Hank goes next.

That's why I dont think it's all about winning when the other goalies start. Lundqvist statistically has an 80% chance to beat the Hurricanes. He should be starting.

All of this with Lundqvist has become political, and that is a shame IMO, for both Henrik and the Rangers organization.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That's why I dont think it's all about winning when the other goalies start. Lundqvist statistically has an 80% chance to beat the Hurricanes. He should be starting.

All of this with Lundqvist has become political, and that is a shame IMO, for both Henrik and the Rangers organization.

I'm a big Lundqvist guy but Shesterkin should start this game. He's the number 1 at this point, he's 7-1, he's had a day off between starts, and he's done nothing to warrant being a backup tonight.

Georgiev needs to be dealt if there's an equitable deal to be had.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Some beat writers are mentioning the "Lundqvist has a great record vs Carolina this year" line, but keep reminding us that Igor has been declared the #1. So basically, I guess if Henrik doesn't get the start, it could be taken as some decision has been made regarding Hank and we will find out soon what that is? I don't know and I can't even pretend to know at this point. The closer we get to the deadline, the less that gets revealed by the men who pull the strings.

UPDATE to myself: so I just read the Cyrgalis tweet quoting David Quinn that Igor gets the start tonight. OK, so let's see where the next 72 hours take us!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is there another team in the NHL who is going to have $10-12M in dead cap space next year? How are you supposed to ice a competitive team with that much dead cap space? And with new contracts coming up like DeAngelo who will get a MASSIVE pay raise.
It is all about the future. Next year the Rangers should rise and be a cusp team. They are still far away from legit contenders. The following year is when all of the salaries come off. There is no Panarin or Trouba that is in the future for this offseason.

And while DeAngelo is going to get a raise, it's not like he is about to make $7m. Gorton can take it to arbitration and then it's market comps.

Henke earned his contract. He has the right to see it through, if he so should choose.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
It is all about the future. Next year the Rangers should rise and be a cusp team. They are still far away from legit contenders. The following year is when all of the salaries come off. There is no Panarin or Trouba that is in the future for this offseason.

And while DeAngelo is going to get a raise, it's not like he is about to make $7m. Gorton can take it to arbitration and then it's market comps.

Henke earned his contract. He has the right to see it through, if he so should choose.

If he scores 70 points, who would be his market comparables? It's a difficult situation. How often is there an RFA defense man coming off a 65-70 point season? He could potentially finish top-5 in scoring this season amongst all NHL defense men. I think $7M will be near the bottom of what he would accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad