Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm always at the bottom of the rankings (the highest I've ever made it was 13 as a F2P player), but I just started using a Lyra+Zerek+Lady in White deck that's been doing really well for me. It needs some tweaking because I'm still vulnerable in the early game, but once I get to the mid game and the spells start rolling it's pretty much game over.
I've only ever attempted to get a decent rank once, and I made it to 8 a couple months ago, otherwise I've hardly ever even bothered past rank 12-13 or so, so I'm right there with you. Coincidentally, I used to run a Lyra/Inner Fire deck on ladder for a while, and if nothing else, it was a lot of fun.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've only ever attempted to get a decent rank once, and I made it to 8 a couple months ago, otherwise I've hardly ever even bothered past rank 12-13 or so, so I'm right there with you. Coincidentally, I used to run a Lyra/Inner Fire deck on ladder for a while, and if nothing else, it was a lot of fun.

Lyra and Inner fire just has so much value if you can get it on the board. It allows for us to have those cheap minions that can do some damage once they're beefed up.

I just created another deck today. Before the latest expansion I was playing some big priest decks, so this time I put an alarm-o-bot in with it, along with the dollmaster, with Lyra still...then a bunch of resurrection capabilities. It'll be interesting to see how well it works.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I wish whizbang had some celebration at the end of a victory so your opponent knows that you used it.
I'm tempted to craft a golden one just so the entire deck will be golden.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Best idea from Reddit was to have him pop up and say:

"It was me! Whizbang! All along!"

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think Bomb Hunter is my new favorite deck. Plays very much like Face Hunter, but has some sweet combo potential as well, including an OTK if you can set it up (though that should never be your goal).

Boommaster Flark on one turn, then Necromechanic into double Feign Death the next. 4 bombs for 8 damage each, and they stay on the board to prevent AOE.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hadn't played much the first week of this month, so I hadn't passed rank 5 yet for the month when the expansion dropped. Everytime I get close, I get bored of Malydruid and try some new stupid deck and end up dropping like 10 stars because I want to make Pogohopper rogue or Bomb hunter work well (granted, this was a day 1 self-made bomb hunter list, not a netdecked one that might actually work). I should probably just suck it up and play Malydruid or Zoolock past rank 5 and then try their weird decks.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Yeah I made the same mistake, I was rank 2 when the expansion hit and have since then stood still on rank 5 ,0 stars.
Just made an adjustment and started to play a "fun" odd rogue list to advance again. Rank 3 in no time. I will make legend this season

### Fancier ODD
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 1x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (3) Blood Knight
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 1x (3) Vicious Fledgling
# 2x (3) Void Ripper
# 1x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 2x (5) Giggling Inventor
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Myra's Unstable Element
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAaIHBq8En8ICyssCi+UCnvgC5/oCDIwCywPUBfMF9QXdCIHCAuvCAtHhAv3qAqbvAuL4AgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Went 12-2 with the deck above in the Brawliseum. It is filthy broken good. Zoo with Kelseth had no chance and I played vs at least 6 of them.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I might have to try that one out. I started a Brawliseum run with Whizbang for the heck of it. Started 5-0 before three straight losses. It was really dependent on the deck. Two of the losses were with that "Omega Warlock" deck while I had Spell Hunter for at least two of the wins (had almost an 80% win rate on low-medium ladder last month). Still, I was laughing out loud after I made it to 5-0.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The new singleplayer puzzle mode is really fun so far. I've only come across one that took me more than a minute, but I'm less than halfway through, so I'm expecting them to get much harder. I've been waiting for that type of thing for a long time. The Elder Scrolls: Legends had a "puzzle" expansion, and there were some in there that had me completely stumped for a long time, though my understanding of the game mechanics in TESL isn't quite the same as my knowledge of Hearthstone.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The new singleplayer puzzle mode is really fun so far. I've only come across one that took me more than a minute, but I'm less than halfway through, so I'm expecting them to get much harder. I've been waiting for that type of thing for a long time. The Elder Scrolls: Legends had a "puzzle" expansion, and there were some in there that had me completely stumped for a long time, though my understanding of the game mechanics in TESL isn't quite the same as my knowledge of Hearthstone.

I had one that didn't make sense to me because each time I logged in the character had different health...not sure if it's a bug or intentional (randomizing how you have to win).

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I had one that didn't make sense to me because each time I logged in the character had different health...not sure if it's a bug or intentional (randomizing how you have to win).
Hmmm, I didn't logout in between any of the puzzles so I can't say I had the same issue. Strange.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hmmm, I didn't logout in between any of the puzzles so I can't say I had the same issue. Strange.

It was really weird, but apparently other people had the same thing happen. It went from 9 health to 11 health to 30 health (my app crashed unexpectedly the first time) and the second time my daughter started crying so I closed it.

Here's a link where I found others having the same issue: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20767618572

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I unpacked Mecha'Thun, it's a ton of fun. Definitely not a card I would have ever crafted but I'm glad I unpacked it.

I still mostly just play Wild though. If you've been playing since the beginning, you can get away with less packs each expansion to stay competitive since there are so many viable decks in wild. I've been pretty dominant with this deck:

### Odd Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Buccaneer
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (1) Swashburglar
# 2x (3) Argent Horserider
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 1x (3) Ironbeak Owl
# 2x (3) Shady Dealer
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) Southsea Captain
# 2x (5) Dark Iron Skulker
# 1x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAEBAaIHBqICrwT6DpG8AtHhAp74AgyMAqgF1AXdCPMRuhObFdAVkrYCgcIC68ICpu8CAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I usually end up winning by turn 8. I haven't kept track but it's definitely well over 60% win rate.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Wild is just a mess with the release of Juicy Psychomelon though. They play the card, and it's basically "Draw your win condition" because it fetches Aviana, Kun, Devilsaur and Star-Aligner. And because it's Druid, they've pulled off the combo on turn 5.

And when they don't pull it off turn 5, no problem. They've got tons of armor gain and Spreading Plague to ensure they've got the time.

I still honestly can't believe Blizzard printed that card. There's zero chance they put any thought into the consequences of it. Because even in Standard, it draws Florist, Togwaggle and Malygos, so why the hell not print a cheaper Sprint that tutors?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wild is just a mess with the release of Juicy Psychomelon though. They play the card, and it's basically "Draw your win condition" because it fetches Aviana, Kun, Devilsaur and Star-Aligner. And because it's Druid, they've pulled off the combo on turn 5.

And when they don't pull it off turn 5, no problem. They've got tons of armor gain and Spreading Plague to ensure they've got the time.

I still honestly can't believe Blizzard printed that card. There's zero chance they put any thought into the consequences of it. Because even in Standard, it draws Florist, Togwaggle and Malygos, so why the hell not print a cheaper Sprint that tutors?
Doesn't the card not even see that much play though in the standard? I haven't played much ranked at all this expansion, but I thought I heard it wasn't seeing a ton of play.

And since you mentioned it, I'll just throw it out there again that Spreading Plague is absolute BS and by far my least favorite card since I started playing maybe two and a half years ago.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I actually still haven't even seen that card played in wild. Maybe I'm just lucky, I remember everyone saying "RIP wild" when they saw that but I haven't ran into it yet.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Star-Aligner Druid is a Tier 1 Deck in Wild at the moment. And it works so well entirely because of Juicy Psychomelon.

I don’t mind combo decks, because usually they take a bit to set up and you can rush them down in the meantime. But Star-Aligner Druid has none of that weakness. They can’t be rushed down, due to ridiculous armor gain and Spreading Plague. They don’t take a while to set up, because they draw exactly what they need for just 4 Mana.

It doesn’t see much play in Standard, mostly because their win condition still relies on cards outside of the ones drawn by Psychomelon. Melon will still draw you C’Thun, Maly, Togwaggle, Florist/Azalina (the usual suspects for Combo Druid), but you still need to have the burn in hand/be close to deck out to complete the win.

The Wild version doesn’t have that weakness. It draws you every piece you need, and you simply need to play them the following turn (or whenever you hit 10 Mana, which considering its Druid...)

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
According to hsreplay and tempostorm, Jade Druid is still a better deck. Tempostorm doesn't even list the Star-Aligner druid as a top deck. Tempostorm actually currently lists the odd rogue deck I posted as the best deck in wild right now which I can definitely believe. I've gone from rank 19 to rank 8 in a couple days having lost only 3 games the entire run.

I actually just won a game where Swashburglar took Demonfuse from a warlock. I was thinking, "great, the most unplayable card I could have gotten, I'd be better off with literally anything else." It was the only card I had in hand when I drew a Vilespine Slayer and my opponent had a demon up. Gave me the trigger for the Vilespine combo to go face for lethal lol. I was half hoping I could just discard the card to get it out of my hand but with odd rogue you never really worry about too many cards anyway in hand.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
According to hsreplay and tempostorm, Jade Druid is still a better deck. Tempostorm doesn't even list the Star-Aligner druid as a top deck. Tempostorm actually currently lists the odd rogue deck I posted as the best deck in wild right now which I can definitely believe. I've gone from rank 19 to rank 8 in a couple days having lost only 3 games the entire run.

I actually just won a game where Swashburglar took Demonfuse from a warlock. I was thinking, "great, the most unplayable card I could have gotten, I'd be better off with literally anything else." It was the only card I had in hand when I drew a Vilespine Slayer and my opponent had a demon up. Gave me the trigger for the Vilespine combo to go face for lethal lol. I was half hoping I could just discard the card to get it out of my hand but with odd rogue you never really worry about too many cards anyway in hand.

Literally 5 days ago.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I hate this game sometimes. I built a Control Warlock in Wild, specifically to prey upon the abundance of combo Druid and other such decks. It's got Gnomeferatus, Dirty Rats and Demonology Projects. Basically anything to disrupt their hand.

Played 6 games, 4 against aggressive decks (Burn Mage, Zoolock, Dude Pally, etc), 1 against Quest Mage, 1 against Star-Aligner Druid.

Won every game against the aggressive decks (due to timely taunts and Spellstones). Lost the games against Quest Mage and the Druid, because literally all my hand disruption was in the bottom of my deck in both games.

Frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad