Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I stole Janalai from an Even mage with the Lich King . I was rogue but got no ticks towards getting Rag even though I attacked almost every turn with the dagger.. Wtf! Is it bugged or what?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I stole Janalai from an Even mage with the Lich King . I was rogue but got no ticks towards getting Rag even though I attacked almost every turn with the dagger.. Wtf! Is it bugged or what?

Doesn't work like that. Your weapon is doing the damage, not your hero power. If you stole something that changed your hero power to a damage dealing one, then it'd work as a Rogue.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm like 60 wins away from golden Shaman, 80 from golden Paladin and Druid. Which would leave me with Rogue (250+ left omg).

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The new singleplayer mode is pretty meh. 27 different shrines, but you only get to pick from three each time, and there's no way to keep track of which ones you have already won with. Plus, there are some absolute BS cards being played against you at times (i.e. "Destroy all enemy minions. Gain 2 armor for each one destroyed" against the Shrine that gives you attack equal to your armor). Very underwhelming compared to some of the previous solo modes.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm doing the best I've ever done on ladder right now. Really enjoying it.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
It makes me sad that wild has become only OTK and aggro decks in the past couple months. I loved playing wild, shame there's not much point anymore. I just wish they'd go back to the "if your deck has no duplicates" style cards. Those were by far my favorite decks to play.

I don't give a f*** about rank and usually just hover around the high teens because I'd rather have fun than play boring meta decks. I'm having a lot of fun with odd mage and kingsbane rogue lately in standard.

Reactions: Wild11MN

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It makes me sad that wild has become only OTK and aggro decks in the past couple months. I loved playing wild, shame there's not much point anymore. I just wish they'd go back to the "if your deck has no duplicates" style cards. Those were by far my favorite decks to play.

I don't give a **** about rank and usually just hover around the high teens because I'd rather have fun than play boring meta decks. I'm having a lot of fun with odd mage and kingsbane rogue lately in standard.

It seems like the OTK decks are the only things played on ladder right now too. I don't play wild, so I can't comment on that. Kingsbane has been one of the tougher match ups for me when running my clone priest deck. I can OTK or overwhelm my opponent with too many big minions later in the game. My problem against Kingsbane is that if I can't get minions on the board early, I'm doomed because the weapon is an instant clear of everything I have. the only chance I have is to get so many minions they can't clear them off in a single turn and just stay one minion/step ahead.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
Huge meta nerf coming!
Bye bye Kingsbane , Odd palladin and druid of all sorts. Time for the new priest/hunter meta. Shudderwock takes a hit as well.

Nerfs go live tonight apparently.

• Wild Growth – Will cost 3 mana. (Up from 2)
  • Nourish – Will cost 6 mana. (Up from 5)
  • Level Up! – Will cost 6 mana. (Up from 5)
  • Saronite Chain Gang – Now reads: Taunt. Battlecry: Summon another Saronite Chain Gang.
  • Leeching Poison – Will cost 1 mana. (Down from 2). Now reads: Give your weapon Lifesteal this turn.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm so done with this game. They ruin it for me every time they nerf long time cards because all of a sudden the meta has changed and made that card good. I've been playing Kingsbane for a long time and it was never top tier. It got some pretty good pieces and I thought, nice ill add this to my KB Rogue. Now they totally ruined KB. What if someone crafted KB just to use that deck, now they feel horrible because of this change. Trust me I know, its the way I felt when they nerfed Aviana. I had crafted her and Kun and it totally sucked once it got nerfed. I just can't help to think that they are going to nerf the crap out of certain cards once the next expansion comes out because they created a card that makes an established card very good. That feeling is horrible when you craft a certain deck and you can't even get your dust back because they nerfed a different critical piece of the deck.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I missed this expansion and most of the last one, but I enjoyed the single player experience. The Rumble is difficult, but so satisfying when you finally beat it.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Agreed, they're purposely nerfing cards with strong synergy to legendaries so you can't dust the legendaries for full value. It's bullshit. I also crafted Aviana and Kun together for combos in wild and now Kun is completely useless. Kingsbane is also useless without lifesteal... Shudderwock can see a shift in meta but who knows if it'll be even close to as strong with nerfing Saronite Chain Gang? I feel like they're purposely doing this to limit the amount of dust they'd have to refund to get people to buy more packs. People seem to finally start seeing how scummy Activision/Blizzard is despite the fact that they've been scummy for years now. You'd think they'd do something to help out but then you get the white knights defending everything they do as if they have thousands invested in Activision stock. People will cheer on Blizzard for their bundle on sale right now if you dare criticize anything they do.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Agreed, they're purposely nerfing cards with strong synergy to legendaries so you can't dust the legendaries for full value. It's bull****. I also crafted Aviana and Kun together for combos in wild and now Kun is completely useless. Kingsbane is also useless without lifesteal... Shudderwock can see a shift in meta but who knows if it'll be even close to as strong with nerfing Saronite Chain Gang? I feel like they're purposely doing this to limit the amount of dust they'd have to refund to get people to buy more packs. People seem to finally start seeing how scummy Activision/Blizzard is despite the fact that they've been scummy for years now. You'd think they'd do something to help out but then you get the white knights defending everything they do as if they have thousands invested in Activision stock. People will cheer on Blizzard for their bundle on sale right now if you dare criticize anything they do.
The Aviana Kun nerf got me so mad that I told myself I wouldn't pre-order or buy any packs for the new expansion. I didn't buy anything. Then this nerf made me realize they are doing this on purpose. They knew that chain gang made shudderwok broken yet they released it anyway. only to nerf it AFTER people paid to craft that deck. Im done with this game.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Huh. I get where you guys are coming from, but this was a fantastic move for the state of the game. Wild Growth and Nourish have been played in basically every single Druid deck for years, and allow these stupidly strong ramp decks remarkable consistency. The point is they don't want all of these classic cards played year after year after year in every single deck. Similar to how Odd Paladin remained the best deck in the game without gaining a single new card in the previous expansion.

Shudderwock - Chain Gang was garbage in the first place. Who wants to play against that? Kingsbane Rogue is basically a guaranteed win against any control non-OTK deck because healing for 18 damage with one swing of your weapon is ridiculous. How is that fun or fair to play against?

To be honest, they should allow Shudderwock to be dusted for full value. And Kingsbane. But I'm going to enjoy the game more after the patch than before the patch. Also because MCT is out of arena (YES!).

Just sad they didn't nerf Spreading Plague.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Huh. I get where you guys are coming from, but this was a fantastic move for the state of the game. Wild Growth and Nourish have been played in basically every single Druid deck for years, and allow these stupidly strong ramp decks remarkable consistency. The point is they don't want all of these classic cards played year after year after year in every single deck. Similar to how Odd Paladin remained the best deck in the game without gaining a single new card in the previous expansion.

Shudderwock - Chain Gang was garbage in the first place. Who wants to play against that? Kingsbane Rogue is basically a guaranteed win against any control non-OTK deck because healing for 18 damage with one swing of your weapon is ridiculous. How is that fun or fair to play against?

To be honest, they should allow Shudderwock to be dusted for full value. And Kingsbane. But I'm going to enjoy the game more after the patch than before the patch. Also because MCT is out of arena (YES!).

You're missing the entire point of my rant. I agree these nerfs will make the game better, but they only did it AFTER they let everyone buy more packs to craft these cards. Also, the only reason Kingsbane got better was because of Raiding Party. They should have just made it where it draws pirates. Kingsbane was never a top tier deck.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

This is the problem though. Activision/Blizzard isn't dumb. They know what they're doing to nerf certain cards to minimize the dust return to players. Is there any point to Kingsbane now? I highly doubt we're going to see it played ever again since there's no decent minions you can play with it. Yet, there are people who crafted it and now it's useless and they can't get their dust back. It's bullshit. Shudderwock I can still see getting play in different types of decks but it's still a big nerf regardless. If Blizzard wanted to prove that they weren't scummy, they'd allow us to still dust Kingsbane or Shudderwock for full value but they won't because all they care about is money.

I'm officially done buying packs from them. I'll play and go free 2 play but they're not getting any more money from me. It's just so damn shady and scummy and this is the 3rd time in the past couple months I lose out on getting full dust value of a legendary that is nerfed big time because of another nerf (Kingsbane, Shudderwock, Kun.) On top of it, it's not even much for Blizzard to just give people the opportunity for the dust of 1 legendary. If you spend $50 on packs, you'll end up with more than 1600 dust anyway just on duplicates but since they want to f*** their customers, they'll just lose in the long run. They clearly lost touch of what consumers want with Diablo Immortal, they probably shouldn't be pushing more consumers away doing this too...

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You're missing the entire point of my rant. I agree these nerfs will make the game better, but they only did it AFTER they let everyone buy more packs to craft these cards. Also, the only reason Kingsbane got better was because of Raiding Party. They should have just made it where it draws pirates. Kingsbane was never a top tier deck.

This is the problem though. Activision/Blizzard isn't dumb. They know what they're doing to nerf certain cards to minimize the dust return to players. Is there any point to Kingsbane now? I highly doubt we're going to see it played ever again since there's no decent minions you can play with it. Yet, there are people who crafted it and now it's useless and they can't get their dust back. It's bull****. Shudderwock I can still see getting play in different types of decks but it's still a big nerf regardless. If Blizzard wanted to prove that they weren't scummy, they'd allow us to still dust Kingsbane or Shudderwock for full value but they won't because all they care about is money.

I'm officially done buying packs from them. I'll play and go free 2 play but they're not getting any more money from me. It's just so damn shady and scummy and this is the 3rd time in the past couple months I lose out on getting full dust value of a legendary that is nerfed big time because of another nerf (Kingsbane, Shudderwock, Kun.) On top of it, it's not even much for Blizzard to just give people the opportunity for the dust of 1 legendary. If you spend $50 on packs, you'll end up with more than 1600 dust anyway just on duplicates but since they want to **** their customers, they'll just lose in the long run. They clearly lost touch of what consumers want with Diablo Immortal, they probably shouldn't be pushing more consumers away doing this too...
No, I fully understand both of you, and I agree that it's not purely because of game state. I don't, however, believe this was to screw people over with dust. I think it's because they're losing money from the past two expansions, because hardly any of the cards are even seeing significant play (relative to other expansions). Thus, they're not selling packs. The reason they did it so quickly this time was they realized they're about to tank back to back expansions, and if they wait too long, people will have abandoned the game until the next one. I think that's more their line of thinking. The Shudderwock and Kingsbane nerfs wouldn't have happened if the meta was different. It's their fault.

I know that doesn't really make people feel any better about it, but I think that's closer to reality.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Finally got my Golden Thrall with Even Shaman in Wild. Just in time before the Flametongue Totem nerfs. That deck is (was) seriously OP.

Wild is a nice alternative to the stale state of Standard ladder. Way more diversity and legitimate decks there (at least felt this way climbing from rank 25 to 4).

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anybody still playing?

Expansion and standard rotation coming April 9th.

I still play. Made it to rank 9 or something two seasons ago and it just too much of a dedicated effort to get there on my schedule. I play while on my lunch break at work and that's about it, great way to kill time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The standard rotation and removal of Genn/Baku is going to do wonders for freshening up the game again.

But I'm just excited for the new arena formats with rotating expansions. Can't wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad