OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, I hear ya, definitely need a commercial for myself. Can’t go wrong with what you have as a starter and then you can get a badass one later. The biggest thing is the delivery, they’re a major pain in the ass to move. I’m inclined to buy a brand new one because of the delivery.

Interesting. I know you are right because everyone calls it the “dreadmill” and a lot of people avoid it or take it easy on it at the gym.

For me, I need it because once that belt is moving, I have no choice and am committed to it. Turning it off never crosses my mind and the longer and harder I go, the longer and harder I want to go. I only stop so I don’t burn too much muscle or mess up my endocrine system, not because I want to or think it will do anything to me if I keep going, just trying not to ignore the science of overtraining.

But running outside, I’ll go about a quarter mile and say **** this, I’m gonna walk for awhile. But I know I’m weird that way. I can be pretty lazy if I want to be but when backed into a corner like the moving belt of the treadmill, I feel much stronger mentally.

All I can think about when I’m on a treadmill is turning the damn thing off and doing just about anything else.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
All I can think about when I’m on a treadmill is turning the damn thing off and doing just about anything else.

I guess, for me, I need a competitor of some sort. So I could probably do well running outside with another person, the challenge being to keep up with them and go as long as they can go. And the machine is the unbeatable competitor so that really gets my juices flowing and is why I prefer it.

You should give yourself more credit for doing all you do whether solo or with people. There’s a ton of mental strength in that. I think it’s just different, not necessarily that one way is harder than the other.

Reactions: RayP

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I've found the best way to do runs is to run the same distance for a while and use my previous best time as my "competition." If my best 2 mile time is 13 minutes, then my goal for today's run is 12 minutes, 59 seconds or better.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've found the best way to do runs is to run the same distance for a while and use my previous best time as my "competition." If my best 2 mile time is 13 minutes, then my goal for today's run is 12 minutes, 59 seconds or better.

No way. Gotta mix up. Some hard short days, some intermediate days, and some long easy days.

Some hill days, some track workouts. Peak to peak days, etc.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Walking is great for me. It helps to live only 1 mile from the Mediterranean. Our diet here is also great.Wine, Olive Oil, Sun, & Seafood!! Love it!!

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Failed bench for the first time while doing StrongLifts 5x5. Man I’m so f***ing weak it’s embarrassing. Couldn’t even get up 125 for all 5 reps on all 5 sets.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Now that I'm in college and have convinced myself to take some sort of personal responsibility, I've been going to the gym roughly four times a week. Warm up jog, then working on big muscles with a bit more focused exercises at the end. Did a half-hour on the rowing machine on Thursday and it f***ed me up. :laugh: Been doing some swimming, too, and I'm gonna start skating within the next week.

Anybody have any suggestions for how to parse my workouts? My plan is to go in the middle of the day Mon-Thursday, then closer to late afternoon/early evening on the weekends. I'm hoping to build a lot of upper body strength while keeping my legs, which are in pretty good form right now, in shape through swimming/running/skating. Specifically, I need to work on my back and shoulders to help regulate my scoliosis and general bad back.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I'm steadily going up on my deadlifts and squats but I just hate benching lol

I love benching but dislike squatting. I'm just not good at it. I feel like I'm in the minority tho. My buddy is the same way, hates benching.

Switching my programs helped me get better at it tho.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Starting to feel old for the first time in my late 20s, my knees are sore a lot of the time after running. Really sucks.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Starting to feel old for the first time in my late 20s, my knees are sore a lot of the time after running. Really sucks.

Maybe you should try to build some muscle up around your knees to take pressure off the joints, then try running again. Or maybe some other cardio exercise other than running. And yoga too, something I want to start getting into myself.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Maybe you should try to build some muscle up around your knees to take pressure off the joints, then try running again. Or maybe some other cardio exercise other than running. And yoga too, something I want to start getting into myself.

I think this is my problem with squats too. My quads and calves can handle decent weight, but it’s my knees that are the weak link.

Do you have exercises that build up muscle around the knees?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think this is my problem with squats too. My quads and calves can handle decent weight, but it’s my knees that are the weak link.

Do you have exercises that build up muscle around the knees?

No, building muscle is not my area of expertise, but I bet some people here have some ideas, especially hockey players who trained for it.

My instincts say something with a tension band and to look into what kind of rehab exercises people do after knee surgery and do that. Hopefully someone here can offer something up because this issue has come up a few times in this thread.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, building muscle is not my area of expertise, but I bet some people here have some ideas, especially hockey players who trained for it.

My instincts say something with a tension band and to look into what kind of rehab exercises people do after knee surgery and do that. Hopefully someone here can offer something up because this issue has come up a few times in this thread.

Do These 9 Exercises to Strengthen Weak Knees | Yuri Elkaim

The internet is a wonderful thing :)

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I used to have a pretty solid routine, but fell off when I started my career.

Now I’m finding it tough to consistently get back in the gym because I try to work out like I used to, and it causes little tweaks and pulls that take days to recover from.

I’ve lowered the weight, but it’s hard for me to tone down the intensity because I feel like I’m just hardwired to work hard in the gym.

Do you have any tips?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Now I’m finding it tough to consistently get back in the gym because I try to work out like I used to, and it causes little tweaks and pulls that take days to recover from.

I’ve lowered the weight, but it’s hard for me to tone down the intensity because I feel like I’m just hardwired to work hard in the gym.

Do you have any tips?

Mobility exercises/stretches.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
You could be squatting without the ideal position for YOUR body. Try watching this video.

Lay on your back like the guy suggests and think about where your legs are and how your feet are angled. Squat like that and I think it will help. It helped me.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Have your knees been getting better? People want to hear a success story.

As a side note, I’m suddenly seeing a whole bunch of ads for non-surgical knee relief.

Do you have any tips?

Haven't been in the gym in forever. I was just doing some google searches for you guys and maybe it'll help. I do know when I tore up my LCL in my knee, hopping up stairs on that leg, and doing one leg squats just to a sitting position and back up on that knee, helped.

Just going to start getting back into the gym. Not too happy with how far I've let myself go... :laugh:

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Haven't been in the gym in forever. I was just doing some google searches for you guys and maybe it'll help. I do know when I tore up my LCL in my knee, hopping up stairs on that leg, and doing one leg squats just to a sitting position and back up on that knee, helped.

Just going to start getting back into the gym. Not too happy with how far I've let myself go... :laugh:

Ya, that’s exactly how I’m feeling too.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
My thinking on getting started up or getting back to it is you can never throw enough money at it. This is your physical and mental health, well being and happiness we are talking about.

Buy awesome good looking workout clothes that make you feel good. Buy a new pair of gym shoes. Go get the best tasting healthy foods you can find. Amazon has a lot of good keto snacks and nuts and stuff like that. Go spend $50 right now and buy some.

Obviously, you don’t have to do this, but it can help get you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad