OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I'm down ten pounds so far on Atkins.

I've learned some valuable things. First and foremost: don't skip breakfast.
Ive been checking myself with ketostix at various daily points since I started and I've found that if I skip breakfast my ketone levels never get very high during the day no matter what I do. They stay in the pink.

If I do eat breakfast they're generally deep purple, almost black. I think my body tends to go into starvation mode without something in my stomach early in the morning. So I dutifully eat my two eggs, whether I'm hungry or not. I prefer a cheese omelet, but any method will do for me.

And I still feel better than I have in years.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Any diet will work if you are in a calorie deficit. Doesn’t matter what you do, just pick something you can live with long term and stick to it.

Reactions: Easy E

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
That's the thing though - I don't restrict myself at all. I eat whenever I get hungry, as much as I want.

Atkins just seems to be very effective for me.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
That's the thing though - I don't restrict myself at all. I eat whenever I get hungry, as much as I want.

Atkins just seems to be very effective for me.

You’re in a calorie deficit if you are eating as much as you want. My statement still stands. Being low/no carb makes it VERY easy to be in a deficit.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I don’t want to live in a world without carbs.

Who said anything about living in a world without carbs? You don't know Atkins, do you.

After you reach the weight you desire you slowly add healthy carbs back into your diet. Some people add as many as 100g a day.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Who said anything about living in a world without carbs? You don't know Atkins, do you.

After you reach the weight you desire you slowly add healthy carbs back into your diet. Some people add as many as 100g a day.

Yeah, and those people usually end up putting on more weight than they’ve ever carried before.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Can you explain the benefits of cutting out vegetables? I read parts of the book a long time ago, don’t remember much. It seems like you’re losing fat faster from what you’re saying.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Can you explain the benefits of cutting out vegetables? I read parts of the book a long time ago, don’t remember much. It seems like you’re losing fat faster from what you’re saying.

There are no benefits of cutting out vegetables.

Well most vegetables anyway, and obviously vegetables that aren’t fried.

Sure you’ll lose weight if all you eat is meat meat and whatever, but that doesn’t = healthy.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There are no benefits of cutting out vegetables.

Well most vegetables anyway, and obviously vegetables that aren’t fried.

Sure you’ll lose weight if all you eat is meat meat and whatever, but that doesn’t = healthy.

I assume potatoes are one to avoid, are there any non obvious ones you try to avoid?

Yeah, what I don’t understand is how you can go without fiber from fruit and vegetables in these all meat diets. I just picture only being able to take a crap once a week and it being very unpleasant at that.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I eat broccoli or green beans every night with dinner.

I've never cut out vegetables.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I eat broccoli or green beans every night with dinner.

I've never cut out vegetables.

Ok, so you are eating carbs then. I always get confused by these keto diets. I assume it is literally nothing but protein and fat.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I assume potatoes are one to avoid, are there any non obvious ones you try to avoid?

Yeah, what I don’t understand is how you can go without fiber from fruit and vegetables in these all meat diets. I just picture only being able to take a crap once a week and it being very unpleasant at that.

Potatoes themselves are fine.

The way most people cook potatoes is not so great.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Wow. So simple. Who knew?

But life has a tendency to not be that simple. I've been working like a dog expanding my business, especially the last 5 years. 6 days a week, 10 hours a day (including time on the road) all while dealing with sick parents.

Yes, I let my diet get away from me. Yes, Atkins is a plan I can latch on to as a way of getting back on track.

And BTW - you just described phase 4 of Atkins to a T (minus the excessive fruit).

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Wow. So simple. Who knew?

But life has a tendency to not be that simple. I've been working like a dog expanding my business, especially the last 5 years. 6 days a week, 10 hours a day (including time on the road) all while dealing with sick parents.

Yes, I let my diet get away from me. Yes, Atkins is a plan I can latch on to as a way of getting back on track.

And BTW - you just described phase 4 of Atkins to a T (minus the excessive fruit).

I ninja edited my post because I read it again and I came off pretty pretentious. My bad, I didn't mean for it like that. I do understand that people have busy lives and different circumstances.

I do think it's great, diet plan or not, when someone thinks about their health and how to get better.

I'm glad the plan is working for you. Interesting that my diet is considered Atkins Phase 4. I have 2 cups of fruit a day (1 banana and 1 cup of Mixed berries).

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Or the amount they eat in one sitting

Yeah, my progress has been really good the last 6 weeks, but I often get really hungry after I exercise at night. I’ve got to start working out in the morning. What I’ve put in diet and workout wise over the years should have given me better visual results. I feel phenomenal, don’t get me wrong. Performance is great.

But the only thing I can think I haven’t done right is the size of my dinners. It seems like I burn more fat the days I don’t exercise at all and eat 4-5 meals a day of high protein, lots of veggies and low to moderate level of carbs. The only difference is when I work out at night, which is every time, I usually eat something like 8-10 oz of fish, a whole steamer bag of veggies and a massive salad. I think that’s too much and has made me hold onto too much fat.

I was just reading that eating too many vegetables can prevent your body from absorbing the protein you eat, which is also what makes you feel full. Obviously, everyone is different but for some, I think it might not be a good idea to eat too many veggies.

Last edited:

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I ninja edited my post because I read it again and I came off pretty pretentious. My bad, I didn't mean for it like that. I do understand that people have busy lives and different circumstances.

I do think it's great, diet plan or not, when someone thinks about their health and how to get better.

I'm glad the plan is working for you. Interesting that my diet is considered Atkins Phase 4. I have 2 cups of fruit a day (1 banana and 1 cup of Mixed berries).

No worries.

I talk about Atkins anonymously online because I don't like to make a big deal about it to people I know.

We're all correct. Exercise aerobically, count calories, avoid bad carbs, do resistance training, etc. Every individual has to find the balance that works for them.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
For you lifters, should I get a belt for squats/deadlifts? Currently weigh 160 and squatting 175x8x4 and deadlifting 185x6x2.

Would it help? Is it necessary? Will it keep me safer? So few people use them at the YMCA and being “that guy” when I’m not even lifting heavy is awkward.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Ok, so you are eating carbs then. I always get confused by these keto diets. I assume it is literally nothing but protein and fat.
Typically when people talk about restricting carbs they mean net carbs, carbs - fiber.

This is why vegetables are typically fine on carb strict diets, especially green veggies. They tend to be fairly low in net carbs.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
For you lifters, should I get a belt for squats/deadlifts? Currently weigh 160 and squatting 175x8x4 and deadlifting 185x6x2.

Would it help? Is it necessary? Will it keep me safer? So few people use them at the YMCA and being “that guy” when I’m not even lifting heavy is awkward.

IMO, the belt is for when you want to use a little more weight to work out your legs but your core is just not there yet.

I only to do it beltless but I could see the benefit if you want to maximize your leg gains.

Reactions: TorMenT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad