OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Typically when people talk about restricting carbs they mean net carbs, carbs - fiber.

This is why vegetables are typically fine on carb strict diets, especially green veggies. They tend to be fairly low in net carbs.

That makes sense. What about the sugar content though? For example, there is a lot of sugar in green beans. 3.3 g in 1.5 cups. Do we add that as a carb in the net total?

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
That makes sense. What about the sugar content though? For example, there is a lot of sugar in green beans. 3.3 g in 1.5 cups. Do we add that as a carb in the net total?
I've always just read to subtract fiber. For green beans I just googled and it said 1 cup has 7g total carbs and 3.4g of fiber, so it would be 3.6g net carbs.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
For you lifters, should I get a belt for squats/deadlifts? Currently weigh 160 and squatting 175x8x4 and deadlifting 185x6x2.

Would it help? Is it necessary? Will it keep me safer? So few people use them at the YMCA and being “that guy” when I’m not even lifting heavy is awkward.

Belts will not keep you safe, they are to help you lift more weight. They are not necessary but if you like using one don’t be embarrassed to use one. If used right they’ll help you squeeze 10-15% more out of your lifts.

Reactions: TorMenT

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Lower back pain started again late last night after my upper body day. Skipped squats and deadlifts today as a result. Any suggestions or know what could be causing it? Again, it was after my upper day. Compound lifts were bench, barbell row (my guess is it’s this), and OHP. After taking November off, haven’t had any discomfort at all until today.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
On the belt question earlier.... I have a question.

If it requires you to use a belt to life X weight, then maybe you are lifting too heavy? Am I missing something? I feel like using a belt is asking for trouble. :dunno:

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
On the belt question earlier.... I have a question.

If it requires you to use a belt to life X weight, then maybe you are lifting too heavy? Am I missing something? I feel like using a belt is asking for trouble. :dunno:

In order to get stronger you need to add new stimulus (more weight). A belt helps you lift heavier because you can push against it with your stomach (bracing). Pretty much EVERY power lifter uses one.

I just wasn’t sure if I wanted to. I decided for now I won’t.

Reactions: RayP

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
In order to get stronger you need to add new stimulus (more weight). A belt helps you lift heavier because you can push against it with your stomach (bracing). Pretty much EVERY power lifter uses one.

This is correct.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Lower back pain started again late last night after my upper body day. Skipped squats and deadlifts today as a result. Any suggestions or know what could be causing it? Again, it was after my upper day. Compound lifts were bench, barbell row (my guess is it’s this), and OHP. After taking November off, haven’t had any discomfort at all until today.

Core failure?
How close to 5RM were?

OHP (assuming you are standing) can definitely tweak your lower back if you are not squeezing your glutes/core tight.

On the barbell row, are you falling forward or backwards frequently? Heels lifting off ground? Back rounded?

Are you lifting in flat shoes /barefoot?

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Core failure?
How close to 5RM were?

OHP (assuming you are standing) can definitely tweak your lower back if you are not squeezing your glutes/core tight.

On the barbell row, are you falling forward or backwards frequently? Heels lifting off ground? Back rounded?

Are you lifting in flat shoes /barefoot?

I meant to answer this yesterday. I don’t think it’s core failure because it was all upper body. My guess is it was barbell row. Probably rounded my back.

Normally I row in the squat rack and pull off the safety bars at the lowest setting. I pulled off the floor today so probably thru off my technique/form. I do 4x8 and I hit like 8/7/7/6 or something like that. Pretty normal when trying to progress I’d say. Feet stay on the ground.

OHP is standing military press. I’ve been stuck at the same weight for awhile so I did nothing different than usual. I do forget to flex glutes most of the time.

I work out in some old Nike running shoes.

Starting to feel a bit less sore. Going to machine row today and machine OHP to make sure I completely heal. Last time this happened I just kept working out thru it and never healed.

Will replace squats and Romanian deadlifts tomorrow as well with some lunges.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I heard a while back that barbell rows are not the best exercise.

Why not do something like T-bar rows or dumbbell rows?

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I’ve heard the opposite...
That is just always what I've heard and what I've experienced. Here's an article from Wendler about it...

Barbell Row vs DB Row

The barbell row is extremely taxing to the lower back, and when coupled with heavy workouts of squatting and pulling, can be detrimental to one's overall training goals.
The squat and deadlift already put a tremendous strain on the lower back and the last thing a person needs is to have a fatigued lower back when attempting big weights in these two movements.
Enter the dumbbell row – this movement has received a huge kick in the PR department due to Matt Krocazleski and the Kroc Row. The dumbbell row offers all the benefits of the barbell row plus a few additional perks like:
  • You can use more weight in the dumbbell row.
  • It's much easier on the lower back.
  • It's great for developing grip strength, an important component in all sports.
  • It's great for upper back/lat development that can be transferred to the deadlift and the bench press.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I’ll have to read more about it, but I’ve read there’s nothing that builds a bigger back than the barbell row.

I don’t row on the same day as deadlifting or squatting. I’ve got 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. Rows on both upper days, squats both lower days, deadlift 1 lower day, and Romanian dead on the other lower day.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I’ll have to read more about it, but I’ve read there’s nothing that builds a bigger back than the barbell row.

I don’t row on the same day as deadlifting or squatting. I’ve got 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. Rows on both upper days, squats both lower days, deadlift 1 lower day, and Romanian dead on the other lower day.
I think your problem is considering barbell rows an "upper body" day exercise. They are very taxing on your lower back because it's acting as a stabilizing mechanism for the lift. Even if you are not squatting or deadlifting on the same day that you are doing barbell rows, you are still stressing your lower back multiple days in a row. If you squat on Monday and row on Tuesday, that's two days in a row you are stressing your lower back. Additionally, if you follow that schedule you are stressing your lower back with the rows the day after you squat, which is when your body and muscles are recovering from the previous day. I'm not sure what program you are doing but there's a reason why most "beginner" barbell programs always have one day of rest between workouts.

Will barbell rows build a big back? Absolutely. It's not a bad exercise. But if you're having back pain when rowing, that seems to me to be the most likely answer.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I think your problem is considering barbell rows an "upper body" day exercise. They are very taxing on your lower back because it's acting as a stabilizing mechanism for the lift. Even if you are not squatting or deadlifting on the same day that you are doing barbell rows, you are still stressing your lower back multiple days in a row. If you squat on Monday and row on Tuesday, that's two days in a row you are stressing your lower back. Additionally, if you follow that schedule you are stressing your lower back with the rows the day after you squat, which is when your body and muscles are recovering from the previous day. I'm not sure what program you are doing but there's a reason why most "beginner" barbell programs always have one day of rest between workouts.

Will barbell rows build a big back? Absolutely. It's not a bad exercise. But if you're having back pain when rowing, that seems to me to be the most likely answer.

I’ll consider your input. I do upper/lower rest, upper/lower, rest, rest to be clear. It’s the first time I’ve had an issue in months so I think it was just due to form breakdown since my technique was off due to pulling off the floor instead of the safety bar. Again though, if it happens again or lasts more than the rest of this week, I’ll definitely reconsider due to your input.

I’m on a beginners program from the bodybuilding forums. I’ve linked it a few times. It’s one of the 3-5 beginner programs they recommend. I’d say it’s pretty well-balanced overall.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I think this all just illustrates there are a lot of ways to row and almost all of them are pretty darn effective. Find one that doesn't cause you pain and just do that one.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I’ll consider your input. I do upper/lower rest, upper/lower, rest, rest to be clear. It’s the first time I’ve had an issue in months so I think it was just due to form breakdown since my technique was off due to pulling off the floor instead of the safety bar. Again though, if it happens again or lasts more than the rest of this week, I’ll definitely reconsider due to your input.

I’m on a beginners program from the bodybuilding forums. I’ve linked it a few times. It’s one of the 3-5 beginner programs they recommend. I’d say it’s pretty well-balanced overall.

Exactly what I do. A,B,OFF,A,B,OFF,OFF

Heavy deads and high volume squats on Tuesday is brutal.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
It's not the weightlifting that is challenging, it's the extreme dieting to get shredded.

I've come to the conclusion that if you are ripped, you are either a god or roiding. Skinny ripped doesn't count.

I'm going to keep trying for a few months but I'll probably be much happy being a fat powerlifter that can lift a car.

Reactions: Illinihockey

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I tried to cycle for the first time in 9 days yesterday after catching the flu. Tuesday/Thursday rides are normally 90 minutes. I tapped out at 45. Felt like I was going to pass out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad