OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think I'm just going to have this cold forever. Been varying degrees of sick with it for over 2 weeks now

Had the same type of cold earlier in the season. Was a ***** to shake. I think it ended up lasting almost 3 weeks so hopefully you’re on the tail end of it.

I think everyone has had that crap at some point. I had it almost a month before it was completely gone.

Thought I was the only one. Been sick on and off for around a month. Congestion just won't go away and this nagging cough.

Not letting it slow my lifts down.

Been dealing with the same shit for 3 weeks now, but it has improved a ton over the last 4-5 days. Hopefully it's finally running its course.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I'm back into 38 waist pants, for the first time in a while. When I pull them up there's about a finger's worth of extra space so I'm actually a little under 38. My XL belts are almost useless now.

On January 1st I was busting out of 42 waist pants. It's pretty amazing how much my gut has shrunk over the past 2+ months.

Has it been easy? No, it hasn't. Lots of days of fatigue and cravings. But just fitting into clothes loosely instead of feeling like a sausage makes it all worthwhile.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm back into 38 waist pants, for the first time in a while. When I pull them up there's about a finger's worth of extra space so I'm actually a little under 38. My XL belts are almost useless now.

On January 1st I was busting out of 42 waist pants. It's pretty amazing how much my gut has shrunk over the past 2+ months.

Has it been easy? No, it hasn't. Lots of days of fatigue and cravings. But just fitting into clothes loosely instead of feeling like a sausage makes it all worthwhile.

You might want to look into your diet if you’re that fatigued, that shouldn’t really be something you’re struggling with especially as you get healthier.

Unless you’re doing anti carbs because that would just be awful.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, I'm doing Atkins.

To be fair, though, I haven't had the symptoms for a few weeks now. It was mostly from mid Jan to mid Feb. I was pretty carb addicted.

I've upped my workouts to 3-4 times a week. I make 3 miles on the treadmill easily now. I alternate standard run days with half lap walk (3mph), half lap jog (5 mph), half lap run (6.5 mph). I can do about 9-10 of those.

Reactions: RayP

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Whatever rows you do, leave ego out of it.

Lots of guys throw a big BB around and hit everything but lats.

In order to get the most effectiveness, lead/pull with your elbows and think of your arms as mere hooks to the BB. Ideally, your biceps should be flaccid during the movement. Ideally but very tough to execute them that way, needs a lot of concentration.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
150 more lbs to go...

320 DL
300 Squat
230 BP

My 1RM is higher in each but I haven’t tested them.

Good luck. I hope you get it. The last 150 is the most fun :DD gave up the dream of 1k lbs for now. I'm not going to get it until I squat 350lbs.

I messed around far too long on heavy weights with horrible form and weak core. I'm focusing on volume and 5RM now

BP 227.5 (more like 255, light to not stall quickly)
SQ 210
DL 255

What program are you running?

Last edited:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Good luck. I hope you get it. The last 150 is the most fun :DD gave up the dream of 1k lbs for now. I'm not going to get it until I squat 350lbs.

I messed around far too long on heavy weights with horrible form and weak core. I'm focusing on volume and 5RM now

BP 227.5 (more like 255, light to not stall quickly)
SQ 210
DL 255

What program are you running?
Just a 4 day upper lower split. Generally within 4-6 rep range for the major lifts, but sometimes I’ll throw in heavy doubles and singles.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
150 more lbs to go...

320 DL
300 Squat
230 BP

My 1RM is higher in each but I haven’t tested them.

You’re probably a lot closer than you think. If you’re doing 4-6 at that weight you can probably do at least 385-345-255. That puts you 15 lbs away.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
You’re probably a lot closer than you think. If you’re doing 4-6 at that weight you can probably do at least 385-345-255. That puts you 15 lbs away.
Those aren’t 4-6 reps though, more like 2-3. I’m definitely closer than what I posted, but I work out alone so I don’t like pushing myself past an RPE of 8-8.5 (at least for bench and squat).

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Those aren’t 4-6 reps though, more like 2-3. I’m definitely closer than what I posted, but I work out alone so I don’t like pushing myself past an RPE of 8-8.5 (at least for bench and squat).

How do you like RPE vs % of TM? I nearly did a program that was RPE based .

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
It's early but I just finished my 6th week of high volume program and realized my 5RM has gone up quite a bit.

Old ==>New:
WT 195 ==> 185
SQ 190 ==> 210
DL 222.5 ==> 255
BP 217.5 ==> 227.5

5 x 10 @ 60% is brutal but it seems like it is working. My Squat is terrible but I have never felt better squatting since I began this so that is a positive.

Reactions: TorMenT

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Question, do you guys monitor protein intake?

At 185lbs, I have been getting around 90-100g daily and 1900-2000 calories. Energy and recovery is starting to take a hit.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I weigh 160lbs and eat 2600 calories a day to maintain my weight. Shoot for 160 grams of protein per day. Get at least 130 every day no matter what to get that minimum 0.8g/lb of body weight.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I weigh 160lbs and eat 2600 calories a day to maintain my weight. Shoot for 160 grams of protein per day. Get at least 130 every day no matter what to get that minimum 0.8g/lb of body weight.

Wow. I need to raise my cals and protein. No wonder why my fatigue and energy is low .

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve been way low on protein since I cut out all beef, chicken, and pork, and have noticed no differences to be honest. I eat fish maybe twice a week and the rest of the week is just veggies with an emphasis on carbs.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I’ve been way low on protein since I cut out all beef, chicken, and pork, and have noticed no differences to be honest. I eat fish maybe twice a week and the rest of the week is just veggies with an emphasis on carbs.

From what I gather, my 1800-2000 cals for 185lb is cutting. Gotta boost my morning shake .

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would call it someone being...

...no expert, just like you.

You’re not an authority on NHL endurance, and your men’s league/lifetime of hockey credentials don’t bring you much closer to being one. Unless one of us on HF Hawks is also currently employed by the Blackhawks strength and conditioning staff, none of us really know what we’re talking about so you waiving around your hockey experience doesn’t do much for anyone.

ANYWAY, back to the actual topic...there’s clearly a direct correlation between increased ice time and fatigue and for you to ask others to “prove it” is ridiculous. It’s just simple chemistry. More minutes=more work=more required energy. Granted, Kane isn’t flying up and down the ice so his high minutes are probably not as intense as others due to his playstyle, but I personally don’t believe for a second that his “extra shift or two” a game doesn’t collectively wear down on a guy a little bit at the very least. It’s only the extent of this wear and tear that’s in question, not if it exists.

Ultimately it’s the Hawks training staff and Colliton who manage this, and not my personal opinion. They seem to think Kane can handle it so that’s good enough for me. I think we can trust them have a professional gauge on the situation and not to run him into the ground.

So I'm continuing this discussion here so as not to further derail the Blackhawks' playoff thread.

What fascinates me is the comment in bold. It amazes me that there are so many people that truly believe this. I mean, the first thing is...there is no such thing as "NHL endurance"...

What is the rationale behind thinking that decades of experience with a sport has no relevance on the discussion, because it was not at the professional level? Do people really think that preparation, training, conditioning, endurance, and the concepts of the sport change that much, just because you're at the professional level?

Do people not realize that pretty much all of youth hockey is modeled after ....what the professionals are doing? That the instruction that USA hockey is giving out....is coming from people in professional hockey? From a lot of people that CURRENTLY PLAY, or CURRENTLY COACH?

Ever watch an NHL, AHL, ECHL, NCAA training camp? Know how many of the drills you will have never seen before? At a high school level.... Or at a Midget Major level? Ever watch the Blackhawks' and their off-ice training sessions? Know how many of those things aren't being utilized throughout hockey, at various different levels? Know how much of their off-ice and on-ice training is new?? Almost none of it. There's some 14 year old kid, somewhere, doing 95% of what they do, right now as we speak...

On-ice, in-game conditioning does not suddenly become an enigma because you're talking about the NHL instead of minor hockey. The physiology of the sport does not change. The components of conditioning and recovery do not suddenly change. What you do to condition yourself, to rest, to recover, to prepare, to fuel yourself...these things do not change.

People also realize that players aren't just born into the NHL? That it requires a lifetime of the training and conditioning that the professional players are doing, just to get to that point? That there are hundreds of thousands of hockey players that have gone through the same on-ice training, and off-ice training as those that made it to professional hockey? You know, the training that actually MADE them NHL players??

They don't take everything you've been doing for the last 15 years of hockey and throw it out the window once you make an NHL roster. They don't change much of anything, actually.

This applies to pretty much any sport. I would never diminish the opinion of someone who has played and coached a sport their entire life because "they didn't play pro". That's just absurd.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So I'm continuing this discussion here so as not to further derail the Blackhawks' playoff thread.

What fascinates me is the comment in bold. It amazes me that there are so many people that truly believe this. I mean, the first thing is...there is no such thing as "NHL endurance"...

What is the rationale behind thinking that decades of experience with a sport has no relevance on the discussion, because it was not at the professional level? Do people really think that preparation, training, conditioning, endurance, and the concepts of the sport change that much, just because you're at the professional level?

Do people not realize that pretty much all of youth hockey is modeled after ....what the professionals are doing? That the instruction that USA hockey is giving out....is coming from people in professional hockey? From a lot of people that CURRENTLY PLAY, or CURRENTLY COACH?

Ever watch an NHL, AHL, ECHL, NCAA training camp? Know how many of the drills you will have never seen before? At a high school level.... Or at a Midget Major level? Ever watch the Blackhawks' and their off-ice training sessions? Know how many of those things aren't being utilized throughout hockey, at various different levels? Know how much of their off-ice and on-ice training is new?? Almost none of it. There's some 14 year old kid, somewhere, doing 95% of what they do, right now as we speak...

On-ice, in-game conditioning does not suddenly become an enigma because you're talking about the NHL instead of minor hockey. The physiology of the sport does not change. The components of conditioning and recovery do not suddenly change. What you do to condition yourself, to rest, to recover, to prepare, to fuel yourself...these things do not change.

People also realize that players aren't just born into the NHL? That it requires a lifetime of the training and conditioning that the professional players are doing, just to get to that point? That there are hundreds of thousands of hockey players that have gone through the same on-ice training, and off-ice training as those that made it to professional hockey? You know, the training that actually MADE them NHL players??

They don't take everything you've been doing for the last 15 years of hockey and throw it out the window once you make an NHL roster. They don't change much of anything, actually.

This applies to pretty much any sport. I would never diminish the opinion of someone who has played and coached a sport their entire life because "they didn't play pro". That's just absurd.

If you could just condition people to play more, they would. Crosby would play 30 minutes a game, teams would run 3 lines. Or why not condition top players to take 3 minute shifts? Is it your hypothesis that top players could play more regularly but that coaches just choose to give them time off?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Spent 5 days in southern Utah swimming, biking and running. It was awesome. Beautiful red rocks and mountains.

Wednesday - easy morning swim, easy evening run.
Thursday - hard morning swim, 3 hour afternoon bike ride, 90 minute evening run.
Friday - hard morning swim, 2 hour bike ride & 40 minute run, repeated twice.
Saturday - easy morning swim, easy 4 hour bike ride.
Sunday - 90 minute trail run.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
After my 6th week of the program, Energy - gone, muscles felt flat, got sick, libido - gone, morning wood - gone, weak as hell, tired.

Just reread my program and it says " DO NOT underestimate the 5 x 10 @ 50% or you will learn it the hard way".

I was doing it at 55% (65% on BP)... Big mistake Taking a deload week. Got my bloodwork to see what was happening to my body. I'll be interested to see my T and Cortisol levels.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think I ever post in this thread, just never felt the need as I workout daily and never really talk about it. But over 35 years old, 3 kids and another beauty on the way (God willing)...weighed in at 212 lbs today (I am 6'2), but came in at 8% body fat, my lowest ever since tracking. I never toot my own horn, nor expecting any here just happy to say that even at my old ass age, I am the fittest level of my life. I am proud of that and everyone of you that takes health seriously I wish you all the best as well. there is no secret, just hard consistent work, and watch what you eat. Turkey, fish and chicken each and every day for me - with 6 ounces of vegetables and 4oz of rice every other day...I pig out once a week with whatever I want - pizza, steak, burgers, whatever...still need to enjoy things, point of living..good luck to you all!

Reactions: Blue Liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad