OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
After work I always struggle with binging on crappy food. So hit me with your best smoothie recipes. Going to try to replace those empty carbs before practice with fruits and veggies. God help me.

Reactions: Blue Liner

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
After work I always struggle with binging on crappy food. So hit me with your best smoothie recipes. Going to try to replace those empty carbs before practice with fruits and veggies. God help me.
Just don't buy crappy food when you're at the store. Whenever I want something shitty to eat, I go and look in my fridge and pantry and see nothing cause I didn't buy it at the store.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

We do the following anytime we make smoothies as a meal replacement/snack.

Kale/Spinach
Frozen strawberries or mixed berries(can add bananas, other fruit, granola, etc. if you like)
Almond milk
Ice

Nothing more is really needed. They're filling, and taste good.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
We do the following anytime we make smoothies as a meal replacement/snack.

Kale/Spinach
Frozen strawberries or mixed berries(can add bananas, other fruit, granola, etc. if you like)
Almond milk
Ice

Nothing more is really needed. They're filling, and taste good.

Yes but like, what are your proportions. Ex. 6 oz of spinach, 8 strawberries, one banana, 7 ice cubes? Fresh or frozen kale/spinach? I'm looking to do the least amount of experimenting possible.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Just don't buy crappy food when you're at the store. Whenever I want something ****ty to eat, I go and look in my fridge and pantry and see nothing cause I didn't buy it at the store.

That’s how I am. If I buy it, I’ll eat it until it is gone. I can’t just have one piece of candy a day or 10 potato chips. But if I don’t buy it, I don’t even think about it. I do have wasabi peas and cashews on hand most of the time. But most of all, when I am eating a balanced breakfast, lunch and dinner with a salad in between, I never get too hungry. Breakfast is the key IMO. It sets the tone for the rest of the day and prevents you from having too big of a lunch or dinner.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yes but like, what are your proportions. Ex. 6 oz of spinach, 8 strawberries, one banana, 7 ice cubes? Fresh or frozen kale/spinach? I'm looking to do the least amount of experimenting possible.

Ah ok.

2 cups of frozen or fresh fruit, usually strawberries or raspberries, or the bags of frozen mixed berries.
2 cups fresh kale or spinach
1 cup of almond milk(or plain greek yogurt)
If we add a banana, it's a whole banana.

We only really add the ice if we're using all fresh fruit and not frozen, and it's just enough to thicken it up into smoothie consistency. Add a few cubes, blend, add a few cubes, blend, etc.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Ah ok.

2 cups of frozen or fresh fruit, usually strawberries or raspberries, or the bags of frozen mixed berries.
2 cups fresh kale or spinach
1 cup of almond milk
If we add a banana, it's a whole banana.

We only really add the ice if we're using all fresh fruit and not frozen, and it's just enough to thicken it up into smoothie consistency. Add a few cubes, blend, add a few cubes, blend, etc.

Is there a reason you use almond vs regular? I don't do almond/soy milk

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Is there a reason you use almond vs regular? I don't do almond/soy milk

It's healthier for what we're looking to get out of it(which is meal replacement/weight loss)

Low in calories, and no cholesterol or saturated fat. Fiance has a bit of an intolerance to lactose, also, and it's lactose-free.

You can substitute that for regular milk if you prefer, or a lot of people will do plain yogurt instead.

Reactions: Illinihockey

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
You can also replace almond milk with Greek yogurt and water. My fruit smoothie when I was making them was frozen mixed berries (1 cup), Greek yogurt (1/2 cup), handful spinach, water. I added walnuts and flaxseed because I was bulking at the time and they’re flavorless basically and added healthy fats and nutrients

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Found my recipe on MyFitnessPal

upload_2019-1-24_12-8-52.jpeg

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

1.5 cup of Frozen Spinach/Kale or 1 large salad portion of fresh Spinach/Kale

1 cup of Mixed Berries

1/2 Banana or 1/2 cup of other fruit

1 scoop of Whey Isolate

~12oz of water (or other liquid)

Throw in Vitamix, blend on high, enjoy

I've heard there are many great add ins (garlic, ginger root, flax, chia, etc). Great experience so far.

Reactions: TorMenT

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
240 Cals on 1 Scoop of Whey Protein?

Insane. That boy better have 40g of Protein in 1 Scoop.

I've heard good things about Flaxseed. Might need to toss those in mine .

It’s actually 2 scoop. Whoever entered it into MFP typed it wrong. 2 scoops is 1 serving with that brand.

Reactions: Easy E

Crow

May 19, 2014
Definitely a good idea to add some flax, pumpkin or chia seeds. High in magnesium and healthy fats.

I can’t stand almond milk so I go with unsweetened coconut milk. It’s higher in saturated fat but tastes quite a bit better to me.

I don’t add a banana, too many sugars, but man they are amazing in a smoothie both for flavor and consistency.

If I want the drink to taste sweet I add a bit of erythritol. The berries alone are enough for me.

Instead of protein powder I use raw eggs. Some people say this is a health risk but I’ve never felt ill. I can’t really recommend anyone follow that advice in good conscience but I’m not going to stop doing it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Haven't really changed my routine, so not sure how or why, but my running has been significantly faster than usual of late.

Not that I'm complaining.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Haven't really changed my routine, so not sure how or why, but my running has been significantly faster than usual of late.

Not that I'm complaining.
Are you still outside?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Are you still outside?

Oh yeah. I’d just not run vs running on a treadmill.

6 mile trail “run” today. 2500 feet of elevation gain on the 3 miles out and up.

Even a good portion of the way back down was too steep to run.

Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
That’s awesome. Where are you?
Oh yeah. I’d just not run vs running on a treadmill.

6 mile trail “run” today. 2500 feet of elevation gain on the 3 miles out and up.

Even a good portion of the way back down was too steep to run.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Since eliminating binge drinking and potato chip snacking, I am down to 182lbs from 193lbs. I was hoping that I would plateau at some point with the weight loss but it keeps falling off. I do not want to go below 180lbs @ 6'. Guess I need to eat more but finding healthy alternatives is tough, maybe start adding peanut butter to make shakes.

11lbs down in ~4 months sound fine or am I losing to quickly?

Let's talk biceps.

What does everyone do for biceps? I feel like my biceps are lagging behind the rest of my body. I typically do db curls and hammer curls (4 sets x 12 reps). Ez Curl bar? 21s? Poundstone curls?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad