Confirmed with Link: Hayes to Jets

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Who said anything about giving up double?

I said giving up a 1st round was a waste

This was a desperate move by Chevy to try and replicate last years success. They dont look like last years team.

But since you want to bring up Stone
Stone >>Hayes
Not even the same discussion

So is the return...not even the same discussion

If the 1st round pick is 25+ who cares at that point...If we flame out in the 1st round then it would hurt just as much in this trade as a Stone trade

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So is the return...not even the same discussion

If the 1st round pick is 25+ who cares at that point...If we flame out in the 1st round then it would hurt just as much in this trade as a Stone trade

You know what would hurt less? Losing and not have given up anything ;)

That's also a bad way to look at a 25 round pick. In today's age of sports there is a lot more quality athletes. The 25 round pick today is more valuable than they were 10 years ago. 1st round pick is still a good pick which is why teams give up players for them

And the jets gave it up for a 20 day rental... again

Desperate move is desperate

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
What could likely be a late-late 1st round pick, and selling high on a PDO driven 4th line player, plus a meaningless pick for a solid player on rental... not bad.
Yup, worthless picks. Fortunately, Jets can afford to throw those picks in the toilet every year. You're right, that's not bad. That's absolutely horrible.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hayes has been having an outstanding season. If he continues that through the stretch drive and in the playoffs, the Jets will have picked up a very good asset.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I’m torn on this. It really depends on how this guy performs and the Jets winning the cup.

Being a one of lowest desired locations in the league continuously giving up 1st round picks can be a real problem down the road. Time will tell.
Giving up on LeMo sucks, I thought he was headed on a high trajectory but you need to give up to get quality.
Love that he’s a center, is speedy, a consistent point getter (perhaps even more the Stastny last year?)and has size.
I guess I’m leaning towards liking the deal but if we get knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds I hate this trade.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So adding a defensively responsible, 65pts center/winger with excellent shot metrics wouldn't help in your opinion?

Have you not being watching the jets lately or least looked at who they've been losing to?
They look like a team where i wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out in the 1st. And with the way they've been playing they deserve to be with the coach taking responsibility for it

Like I said before. Trading away your first is just a bandaid move. Especially for rentals.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
At first I was kinda disappointed but really the 1st is going to be late and Lemieux is replaceable internally.

Stone was going to cost too much and really would have been more of a luxury piece despite how good he is. I'm more excited about Hayes not because he's going to "replace" Little, but by the fact that we'll likely have a consistently reliable 4th line like last year.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'm pretty satisfied with this.
I've always liked Hayes. The Jets get a solid 2C who has as much two-way skill as an aging Stastny did, and hopefully work as well with Laine.
They sold Lemieux at his absolute peak IMO, 24% shooting percent and PDO 108.

Reactions: GNP

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers fan coming here to say you guys will like Hayes. Of our two big rentals, he was the much better player than Zuccarello. Zuccarello has floated, double shifted himself consistently, moaned around for a couple of seasons now and piled up a few extra points to give himself some extra value. Hayes has gotten better, and showcased some of his rookie season potential that he struggled to meet in years 2 and 3.

He's having a very good season, and can play in every situation. There was a time in his rookie season that our fans were comparing him to Jumbo Joe because of his size and playmaking, but he never really developed that type of scoring ability. He has shown some of it this season though with a bigger role and being in a contract year. His defensive game has improved a lot in recent seasons. It wasn't so good when he first started out, but he's a very reliable player on PK, as well as PP. He has very few weaknesses. His shot isn't great, he's a below-average face-offs guy and his season to season consistency has been a problem, but he can fit in with your skilled guys on the second line or play more of a shutdown third line role.

Can I ask about Lemieux? What is his NHL projection? Can someone give a scouting report on his skillset? Does he have second line potential or is he more of a third line guy?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
This trade would be better if it wasnt amother rental.

Every year Winnipeg is just going to keep giving up first while the prospects dry out

Only prospect we have looking forward to thatll make a real impact is vesalainen. After that the jets have nothing lol. Terrible

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am surprised so many Jets fans are disliking this. They got a guy that has put up over 40 points in every season he's been in the pros except one. Sounds like a consistent strong depth player to me that will help the Jets win. Jets lost Brendan Lemieux, he'll probably be a fourth line guy maybe 3rd but I doubt it, so they didn't lose much there, They may lose a first round draft pick but Jets are a strong team, they'll probably draft in the 20s somewhere and you'll probably get a bottom line guy out of it. With Hayes they are getting a top 6 guy that is young and can really do something. I like this trade and I am excited to see what the Jets do in the playoffs.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Have you not being watching the jets lately or least looked at who they've been losing to?
They look like a team where i wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out in the 1st. And with the way they've been playing they deserve to be with the coach taking responsibility for it

Like I said before. Trading away your first is just a bandaid move. Especially for rentals.

So your plan is that unless we look like Tampa Bay or Calgary we should never trade a 1st?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So your plan is that unless we look like Tampa Bay or Calgary we should never trade a 1st?

Pretty much. You should already look like a legit contender if you're going to give up assets. That's how you build a proper Stanley cup team for a long time

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Rangers fan here. I’ve always been torn on Hayes. He handles the puck very well for a big man. That being said, he had been very streaky in pastseasons and had some questionable decision making. This season he’s really taken a big stride in the right direction and is playing with a lot of confidence. He’s also solid in his own zone. If you asked me last season, I would say there is zero chance he’d garner a return like this. He’s really put it together, hopefully he’ll continue down that path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad