Confirmed with Link: Hayes to Jets

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Rangers fan coming here to say you guys will like Hayes. Of our two big rentals, he was the much better player than Zuccarello. Zuccarello has floated, double shifted himself consistently, moaned around for a couple of seasons now and piled up a few extra points to give himself some extra value. Hayes has gotten better, and showcased some of his rookie season potential that he struggled to meet in years 2 and 3.

He's having a very good season, and can play in every situation. There was a time in his rookie season that our fans were comparing him to Jumbo Joe because of his size and playmaking, but he never really developed that type of scoring ability. He has shown some of it this season though with a bigger role and being in a contract year. His defensive game has improved a lot in recent seasons. It wasn't so good when he first started out, but he's a very reliable player on PK, as well as PP. He has very few weaknesses. His shot isn't great, he's a below-average face-offs guy and his season to season consistency has been a problem, but he can fit in with your skilled guys on the second line or play more of a shutdown third line role.

Can I ask about Lemieux? What is his NHL projection? Can someone give a scouting report on his skillset? Does he have second line potential or is he more of a third line guy?
Fun player to watch, will fight, stick up for teammates at all times. Plays a hard nosed, straight line game, and is good in front of the net.

Scored decently well in juniors and the AHL, not sure how it will translate to the NHL.

Results this year are a mixed bag. Horrible possession numbers across the board, but decent results points wise. Unfortunately those numbers are buoyed by sky high PDO, OIS%, and personal SH%. He will be an interesting player to track, I suspect he doesn't become more than a 3rd/4th line guy, but if he does, he will be a very fun player to have because of the way he plays.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Like the move.

Lemieux is expendable, and 1st will likely be a late 20’s or later (hopefully).

He’s going to help the pp, pk, and our defensive game.

I’d go:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Hayes-Laine
Perreault-Roslovic-Little
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Appleton

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Fun player to watch, will fight, stick up for teammates at all times. Plays a hard nosed, straight line game, and is good in front of the net.

Scored decently well in juniors and the AHL, not sure how it will translate to the NHL.

Results this year are a mixed bag. Horrible possession numbers across the board, but decent results points wise. Unfortunately those numbers are buoyed by sky high PDO, OIS%, and personal SH%. He will be an interesting player to track, I suspect he doesn't become more than a 3rd/4th line guy, but if he does, he will be a very fun player to have because of the way he plays.
Edited, my bad

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Pretty much. You should already look like a legit contender if you're going to give up assets. That's how you build a proper Stanley cup team for a long time

I wholeheartedly disagree but at least I understand your position.

Chef will be 30+ before next year's draft picks make an impact on the NHL. Wheels 35+ Buff 35+.

I take that into consideration.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Jets got a great player
Hayes is a line driving center who’s impossible to knock off the puck, a beast at cycling as well.
He’s great defensively too
He’d be good for Laine, pass first line driver. Think it was a fair deal for both teams, I’m pretty happy with Lemieux

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This basically sums up his personality lol

And he's not a bad guy or a bad teammate, nothing like that at all, he's just a ****ing goof. People don't take him seriously. If you play against him, you will take him seriously.

He gives off a distinct personality, as Jets fans can see in this video here. Some will like it, others won't. All Jets fans should like his play on the ice.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I wholeheartedly disagree but at least I understand your position.

Chef will be 30+ before next year's draft picks make an impact on the NHL. Wheels 35+ Buff 35+.

I take that into consideration.

With the way kid's develop these days I disagree. Lot of the kids are looking nhl ready by their 2nd elc or 3rd elc

And the longer it takes the more it just proves to NOT give up picks.
Why would you want your prospects to be developed later?

You dont dry up the well and the jets have done that

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I am surprised so many Jets fans are disliking this.

We have fans that were calling for the team to be sellers at the deadline. I mean, you must have some "Statler and Waldorf" kinda fans in your neck of the woods too, yeah? We just have more of them :P

I'm inclined to agree with you, this seems like just the right fit at just the right price. *if* it's a mistake it ain't by much.

Yutronkov

Apr 7, 2018
Ottawa Valley
At the Price we paid for Hayes..we may as well got Duschene. Don't care for this deal. It feels like settling. The talent is on the Jets roster. Yes, they're scuffling now. Adversity is good this time of year. Acquiring Stone would have been a great rallying point for the team. If Nashville gets Stone, then hell the Jets are going to regret not spending a bit more.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
We have fans that were calling for the team to be sellers at the deadline. I mean, you must have some "Statler and Waldorf" kinda fans in your neck of the woods too, yeah? We just have more of them :P

I'm inclined to agree with you, this seems like just the right fit at just the right price. *if* it's a mistake it ain't by much.

You just like to be more optimistic for the sake of being optimistic

We all know the jets have more problems than just a better 2c..but here we are..with another rental

Nov 24, 2006
Jets got a great player
Hayes is a line driving center who’s impossible to knock off the puck, a beast at cycling as well.
He’s great defensively too
He’d be good for Laine, pass first line driver. Think it was a fair deal for both teams, I’m pretty happy with Lemieux
How is his speed? He’s the same size as Wheeler who is very fast for his size.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How is his speed? He’s the same size as Wheeler who is very fast for his size.
Hayes is a great skater for his size and has speed. Loves to rush the puck into the zone by deking around players. Don’t know his zone entry stats but they should be fantastic. His stats aren’t a result of higher scoring this year but it’s actual development. Jets should be happy

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I think Hayes is a great addition for you. Good defensively and on the PK. He's a great passer and he can score when he actually shoots. Controls the puck extremely well with his long reach and body.

He used to shoot about 1.7-1.8 times a game, but since last season he's up to about 2.2 or so.. There were a ton of times where he would be all alone just outside the crease and would hold the puck forever waiting for a pass. One time he went in on a breakaway, had the goalie beat and did a spin-a-rama and waiting for a teammate to pass it to. He would drive me nuts, but something clicked over the last couple of months last season. He started shooting more and ended the season on a tear to score 25 goals.

His first couple of seasons drove me crazy because his personality is goofy and somewhat aloof. At times he seemed lazy early in his career, but he increased his effort level a lot since last year. He's a completely different player the last 2 seasons. I disliked him early on, but his play really developed and I grew to really like his game. He's on a 67 point pace and is very good defensively. Pair him up with Laine. He should be a big help in the playoffs. Good luck.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
At the Price we paid for Hayes..we may as well got Duschene. Don't care for this deal. It feels like settling. The talent is on the Jets roster. Yes, they're scuffling now. Adversity is good this time of year. Acquiring Stone would have been a great rallying point for the team. If Nashville gets Stone, then hell the Jets are going to regret not spending a bit more.
The fact he can defend better than duchane and can be used on the pk makes up for the fact duchane is better offensively.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
His speed is not great. Prob average for his size.
For his size he is a great skater and has really good speed. Mobility isn’t anything to worry about with him anyway as he slows down the game when he’s on the ice (in a good way)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'll be ok with having a crappy team in 5 or 6 years if there's a couple cup banners hanging at the arena. There's a reasonably good chance we aren't going to have a realistic shot for several decades (if ever) once this current core moves on.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
For his size he is a great skater and has really good speed. Mobility isn’t anything to worry about with him anyway as he slows down the game when he’s on the ice (in a good way)
Agree he slows the game down in an advantageous way, just don’t think speed is one of his best attributes.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Agree he slows the game down in an advantageous way, just don’t think speed is one of his best attributes.
He can blow by players pretty easily though and if not, his puck protection abilities make it near impossible to cleanly knock him off the puck. Again, it isn’t something to even worry about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad