Pre-Game Talk: Hawks vs Golden Knights 7pm Drunk Time (9pm Central)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Leaving aside the aspect of Keith actually waiving, I don't think that would make sense for the Hawks. If you are acquiring Kessel, you are trying to win next year. To that end, I don't think it makes sense to trade Keith. I know we have great prospects coming but I don't think you can just pencil them in for 20+ minutes on a playoff team right off the bat.
it makes sense because you have to believe 2 or 3 of our top kids are going to make it here...we already have Joker and Forsling up here, at some point we might have to make a bold move on defense...I said I am torn on it, but for the Penguins, don't you think it would make sense to get Keith back in some type of a package for Kessel?

and the Hawks will be trying to win next year, if you go out and sign Panarin or Stone, that signals winning to me...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah, not sure why I was thinking it was 10m for some reason. :dunno:

Still a lot of money for a 31 year old. I wanted the team to get younger, not older. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't know if it's the right move.

Hawks don't lose a NMC for the expansion draft. Kessel also has one. Unless that goes away once he waives to come here? IDK how that works for the expansion draft. But you would have to get both Keith and Kessel to waive. Dunno if that happens.
Kessel has an 8 team trade list, his is a modified NMC

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This team seems like it is so much further than a piece or two or three away from contending that I'm not sure what to think. I'd love Panarin back, but is hoping he'd be great in 2-3 years worth signing him to a longterm contract? And trading any vets for other vets, would that be anything more than a lateral movement at best versus trading for futures?

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
the more I do think about, is a Keith for Kessel that far off???

Kypreos could be right - that is what the Pens would want from us, the salary would even out or close to it, and we lose a NMC for the expansion draft...Keith has to waive, but damn if you look at it objectively, it could make sense for both sides...though I am torn and would not want Keith to be traded, but that would shake **** up!
This is a pipe dream honestly.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
The hawks should be acquiring drafts picks by any means possible, not trading for players that get them a couple more wins this season or next.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
it makes sense because you have to believe 2 or 3 of our top kids are going to make it here...we already have Joker and Forsling up here, at some point we might have to make a bold move on defense...I said I am torn on it, but for the Penguins, don't you think it would make sense to get Keith back in some type of a package for Kessel?

and the Hawks will be trying to win next year, if you go out and sign Panarin or Stone, that signals winning to me...

I could see Keith making sense for the Pens, but I think that makes the Hawks biggest problem even worse and since Kessel would be a win now move, it's not something I'd do.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I could see Keith making sense for the Pens, but I think that makes the Hawks biggest problem even worse and since Kessel would be a win now move, it's not something I'd do.

I have to agree with this.

Losing Keith means the D is even worse, and it's already the biggest problem on the team. Kessel being a win now acquisition... doesn't help, when the D is awful, and your top pair is Joker/Seabs, or Joker/Manning. You're going to hemorrhage goals against at a far higher rate than goals for.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
the more I do think about, is a Keith for Kessel that far off???

Kypreos could be right - that is what the Pens would want from us, the salary would even out or close to it, and we lose a NMC for the expansion draft...Keith has to waive, but damn if you look at it objectively, it could make sense for both sides...though I am torn and would not want Keith to be traded, but that would shake **** up!
That'd be hilarious if Stan could pull that off. No one would be able to criticize him again.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But can you live with...

Joker - Seabs
Manning - Gus
Rutta - Murphy/Forsling

Not in any particular pairing order, btw.
yes...add Davidson back in soon, and Hillman when healthy - I can deal with it if the top 6 is scoring a lot of goals...Keith isn't stopping teams from scoring on us, so for right now until the kids arrive, let's build up the offense and try and outscore teams 6-5 lol...

I don't want to move out Keith, but offensively Kessel would add a lot here.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is it more likely they’re pursuing Matta...lets throw shit at the wall and bring in Gagner and Matta

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
yes...add Davidson back in soon, and Hillman when healthy - I can deal with it if the top 6 is scoring a lot of goals...Keith isn't stopping teams from scoring on us, so for right now until the kids arrive, let's build up the offense and try and outscore teams 6-5 lol...

I don't want to move out Keith, but offensively Kessel would add a lot here.

Problem being, you're not winning a Cup by winning games 6-5 and such. Most PO games are 1 goal, low-scoring games, and defense is required.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
But can you live with...

Joker - Seabs
Manning - Gus
Rutta - Murphy/Forsling

Not in any particular pairing order, btw.
It's only for the rest of the year. Next year you run:

Murphy-Joki
Krys-Boqvist
Hillman-Mitchell
Beaudin-Seabs

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Problem being, you're not winning a Cup by winning games 6-5 and such. Most PO games are 1 goal, low-scoring games, and defense is required.
agreed, but we aren't winning many games right now period.

it isn't on Keith, you know my stance on him, I love him and his contract - but if you think you can build up an elite offense right now, then believe the kids you have coming on defense will be what you hoped, then I can see Stan looking very hard at a move like this. eventually the defense will get better with or without Keith, that is on the kids and how well Murphy comes back..

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

upload_2018-12-6_11-31-0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad