Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Janmark

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So you listed two guys who played center last season, and a 4th line LW as people he would be blocking? Also, guys who play center....can almost always play RW or LW. Janmark won't block anyone.

Potential top 9 before adding Janmark

Kubalik-Toews-Nylander
?-Dach-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Shaw

Not much room in our top 9 here unless someone is going

We all know Nylander is being gifted a top 9 spot again by Stanley/JC

If Strome is traded then that opens things up but Stanley giving away Strome in trade would just be another step back for organization

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Kurashev plays LW as well as C
Suter likely will be LW in NHL (Played C last year in Switzerland)
Hagel is a LW

There are 3 guys right there he very well may block

I would rather have any of those 3 then f***ing Janmark on roster

Suter will be on one of the top two lines with no Saad and possibly Strome on the way out as well.

Kurashev hasn’t proven a damn thing and needs to earn a spot.

Hagel.... really?

So you’re really going to freak out over unproven 4th and 6th round picks not being gifted a spot?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Suter will be on one of the top two lines with no Saad and possibly Strome on the way out as well.

Kurashev hasn’t proven a damn thing and needs to earn a spot.

Hagel.... really?

So you’re really going to freak out over unproven 4th and 6th round picks not being gifted a spot?

None of the f***ing bums in net have proven a damn thing

Mitchell and Kalynuk have proven nothing but it appears Hawks promised them roster spots based on speculation for signing with Hawks

Kurashev was one of Rockford's best players and is our best forward prospect at this point

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Mad Nylander is considered being gifted a spot but mad Kurashev isn't gifted a spot.

Kurashev hasn't proven to be a complete bust

Also after Nylanders playoffs there should be no justification for him being gifted a roster spot. Worst Hawk of playoffs with only Boqvist having potential push for crown but at least Boqvist was a 19 yr old rookie

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Janmark pretty much replaces what Cags would've brought, albeit with a trade off that we payed more for the guy who is less of a concussion risk. Janmark certainly isn't a Saad replacement.

I just don't know what this team is doing. I said it somewhere yesterday, but Maatta and Z are comparable players at similar ages. So why did we trade one for jack shit and then acquire the other? The cap savings are nill when you account for the retention on OM. Why didn't we keep Maatta and trade Saad to Colorado for a 2nd or 3rd; Avs could've let Z walk at that point (he was an RFA), but at least we get something in regards to future assets.

So between all our moves, Janmark is basically replacing Caggiula, Z is replacing Maatta, no one is replacing Saad or Crow, and we don't have any future assets out of it. I like Suter and Mitchell and think they can be great adds this year, but we still got a noticeable downgrade on paper and no future assets out of any of it. Yikes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Maatta and Z are completely different players though , they are not at all comparable outside of age and fact both have no real offensive game

Maatta is a more traditional positional/technique SAH type at this point while Z is a physical/bruising SAH

Another big difference is Z can skate while Maatta is average at best

Reactions: Pez68

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Potential top 9 before adding Janmark

Kubalik-Toews-Nylander
?-Dach-Kane
Debrincat-Strome-Shaw

Not much room in our top 9 here unless someone is going

We all know Nylander is being gifted a top 9 spot again by Stanley/JC

If Strome is traded then that opens things up but Stanley giving away Strome in trade would just be another step back for organization

This assumes Shaw is healthy and Nylander doesn't play himself onto the 4th line by the first road trip.

We have plenty of need for well-rounded wingers who can skate.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This assumes Shaw is healthy and Nylander doesn't play himself onto the 4th line by the first road trip.

We have plenty of need for well-rounded wingers who can skate.

So then we should have signed someone like Kahun who is far better then Janmark

And why is someone like Nylander returning to Hawks as he does not a damn thing well if we are looking to improve quality of our wingers

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
But they don't need that. They need forwards they can get to play defensively so they're not an awful team defense year in and out.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
There's just no urgency to Nylander's game.....he just doesn't have that competitive "it' factor.....skating and skills are there, but not sure you can find it or learn it at this point....might just be a better Euro player.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Lol. I realize this team is likely going to suck, and have accepted it. They will have a ton of young players, and will be an adventure to watch. Maybe everyone should modify their expectations? I don't like Janmark. I'm indifferent towards him, because his signing DOESN'T f***ING MATTER in the big picture. It's a stop gap.

For people to be getting so bent out of shape about what's transpiring with the Hawks, in a year in which we aren't even sure we'll see an NHL season start, and finish....is absolutely mind blowing. Imagine being one of the teams dumping assets, mortgaging the future, making big moves and signings, and then losing the season to COVID.... Talk about a colossal f***ing waste.
Agreed. Not expecting a lot if they do play.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Maatta and Z are completely different players though , they are not at all comparable outside of age and fact both have no real offensive game

Maatta is a more traditional positional/technique SAH type at this point while Z is a physical/bruising SAH

Another big difference is Z can skate while Maatta is average at best
I meant they are comparable in the fact they would fill similar roles with us.

Maatta is a middle pairing LHD who is used in a primarily defensive role. Z is hopefully the same (though some Avs fans think he's a bottom pairing guy). I know there are differences in the way each guy plays, but the end results are likely somewhat similar. Either way, it's not an improvement, not unless our playing style fits Z like a glove.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What else do they do? People always groan how prospects need to earn it! But if you're rebuilding thats not so? They should be given spots? I mean, what all else do you do but sign 1 year vets you may sell off at the trade deadline
I guess I'm just confused at what exactly the Hawks are doing. I really havent heard the word rebuild from Stan, and if you are putting garbage in net, what's the point of signing a 2mil contract for a depth player, who isnt that young?

I would have liked to see them take advantage of a team and take their crap player for a year with a sweetener. Who knows maybe a team will pay a 2nd for Janmark at the deadline, just not sure I see it happening.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I meant they are comparable in the fact they would fill similar roles with us.

Maatta is a middle pairing LHD who is used in a primarily defensive role. Z is hopefully the same (though some Avs fans think he's a bottom pairing guy). I know there are differences in the way each guy plays, but the end results are likely somewhat similar. Either way, it's not an improvement, not unless our playing style fits Z like a glove.
Maatta would be a bottom pairing on the Avs too. Our Defense sucks, most of our guys would be bottom pairing on teams with actual good Dmen.

I'll take Z over Maatta every day, been saying that since their London Knight days. I feel like JCs staff has done well with our Dmen. Murphy has improved, Maatta did OK, 4K improved. All of those guys were talked bad about by opposing fanbases before they arrived and we saw it with our own eyes at first. I feel like Z will be the same way, and if they can get him to reach his potential, he can be a force a lot like Chara.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
What are the chances he becomes Musto’s whipping boy??
I don't really have an issue with Janmark as of now. I'll wait and see how he plays. I think his cap hit is oddly high, but he's on a 1 year and likely flipped at the deadline.

DeBrincat is my whipping boy if he doesn't work his ass off. Last year's play was absolutely not worth 6.4M. I don't want to see that again.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I don't really have an issue with Janmark as of now. I'll wait and see how he plays. I think his cap hit is oddly high, but he's on a 1 year and likely flipped at the deadline.

DeBrincat is my whipping boy if he doesn't work his ass off. Last year's play was absolutely not worth 6.4M. I don't want to see that again.
I was mostly joking, didnt think you had an issue with him so much as he might be the piece that pushes your mans out and therefore youll be watchin him with a microscope.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Maatta would be a bottom pairing on the Avs too. Our Defense sucks, most of our guys would be bottom pairing on teams with actual good Dmen.

I'll take Z over Maatta every day, been saying that since their London Knight days. I feel like JCs staff has done well with our Dmen. Murphy has improved, Maatta did OK, 4K improved. All of those guys were talked bad about by opposing fanbases before they arrived and we saw it with our own eyes at first. I feel like Z will be the same way, and if they can get him to reach his potential, he can be a force a lot like Chara.
I hope you're right. I honestly do.

But these Avs fans who say he lacks IQ gives me pause. I hope he proves them wrong, but I'm not counting on it either.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I hope you're right. I honestly do.

But these Avs fans who say he lacks IQ gives me pause. I hope he proves them wrong, but I'm not counting on it either.
Him and Bednar have never seen eye to eye, so there is probably more to it than we know. When he was in London he was their best Dman and Hunter relied on him a ton, I didnt see a lack of IQ then, so I dont know. Any time he played us, he always seemed to play well.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad