Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
An article in Finnish media based on an interview after the Rangers game:
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/nhl/art-2000001948705.html

Rough translation below (I don't have time for a better one now since I'll try to sleep a couple of hours before the game):

Patrik Laine revealed what he misses from Finland – â€That’s something that should be hereâ€

Patrik Laine’s first month on NHL ice has exceeded all expectations. But everything is not perfect, because there is something missing in Winnipeg. “Kaupinoja’s Sauna from Tampere is what I miss. That’s something that should be here.†[See this sauna for yourself on the webpage, it's in English too: http://www.talviuimarit.fi/english-info/ ]

Patrik Laine left to the big dollar league with hopes of getting a spot in the Jets lineup and making good use of it. He certainly didn’t think himself being tied for league lead in goals on November. “That considered this has exceeded all expectations. As a team we could be doing better, thoughâ€, Laine summarizes in New York. He says he has gotten to play with such good guys (Mark Scheifele among others) that it has to show somewhere. “But let’s not get excited. I have a lot to improve.â€

Laine started the season with a goal to establish himself a spot in the NHL. “I had no objectives for a specific number of points or goals. Everything on top of a spot in the lineup is a bonus. I just wish I’ll get to keep it.†The head coach of Winnipeg, Paul Maurice, chuckles when he hears about Laine’s objectives. Maurice thinks that Laine has a clear-cut spot in the lineup and the Finn would crack each teams’ roster in NHL. “Doesn’t Laine share the top spot of the goal scoring list with some guy? What’s his name again, Crosby? I think Laine is in a good situationâ€, the head coach jokes. (After Monday David Pastrnak and Artjom Anisimov climbed up to share the spot, also with eight goals.)

Laine doesn’t hear Maurice’s comments about him cracking all other teams’ rosters. “I hope these showings are good enough to keep me up [with the big club]â€, Laine says and leaves to stretch after the Rangers game. “So that I won’t get completely stiffâ€, he jokes. Maurice has gotten to answer the same questions about Laine’s shot all the time. Now he goes silent for a while when I ask him for a comment on Laine that he hasn’t already said. Then he comes up with something. “Laine is 18 years old.†Maurice means that growing pains are sure to come. Laine has a lot to learn, but so far he has done everything like a veteran. “I have to say that I’ve been around this stuff for 20 years and I have never seen that kind of a shot which is a mystery to goalies. There is no chance to realize when the shot goes offâ€, Maurice says.

Laine describes Winnipeg as a small city where he can be in peace even though hockey fans identify him. Even a steak dinner with buddies goes mostly without distractions. “I quite rarely go anywhere. If I do, I don’t have to write autographs all the time.†He praises how the team has welcomed him. Especially older players have helped with practical things. “And we do have one Finnish gentleman [Joel Armia from Pori]. I don’t have to stumble with English all the time.â€

Thanks for posting and translating! He is such an impressive and humble young man. Couldn't be more excited about the prospect of him being a Jet for many years to come.

On a side note I really like how he has looked with Sheifele and Ehlers. Hopefully they put up more points tonight!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hockey, Racing and Saunas...is that the Finnish Trinity? :laugh:

After we've retired "Jump" maybe this could be the Jets' goal song...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hockey, Racing and Saunas...is that the Finnish Trinity? :laugh:

Hmm... merely:

Sisu, Sauna and Perkele

Sisu - Internal cultural concept and mental set of Finns, loosely 'Grit'
Sauna - Our most sacred cultural concept in the heart of Finnish identity
Perkele - Ancient name of Pagan deity, Ukko The Supreme God, before that a shamanistic summoning name for the Spirit of Sparks/Fire/Flame, most powerful Finnish swearing word, nowadays often meaning 'devil'/'satan'

I am not 100% sure is that song best ever possible... :laugh:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Before this thread slides totally to off-topics, every Finn can easily understand Patrik's cries about missing Sauna. Also, it is understandable that in the middle of dramatic changes in his personal life in a new culture it is only natural to expect some symptoms of homesick to come visible. Sooner or later.

Laine is humble enough to say such things, or what's on his mind.

No doubt there will be Sauna (Finnish one, not one of those myriads versions of steamy baths, rooms and such called saunas) in his home. Shouldn't be monetary issue for NHL goal scoring genius.

Here comes also relevancy back to this thread.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I thought coming to North America was going to be a huge adjustment for him and would've been happy if he scored 10 goals all year.

What's truly crazy is the fact that he's nowhere near fully adjusted and is one of the best goal scorers in the league already. Guys going to score ridiculous amounts of goals every year when he masters the smaller ice surface.

Multiple Rocket Richards I see in his future.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Something that's significantly separating the top 2 picks of this year's draft is that Laine actually goes to protect his teammates and rough some guys up.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I've spent 20 minutes reading about Finnish sauna culture.
Neat.

Nice! If you want to experience it yourself, feel free to PM me and book the flights to Finland. I've already promised free accommodation for every Canadian who shows up at our door wearing a Laine jersey. :)

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
If Laine ever does the Selanne glove shot celly, I will lose my mind. Could you imagine, game 7 OT Laine scores a hatty and does that celly?!? I know it would never happen but if that moment ever happened it would be the single greatest moment of all of our collective lives.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Some hat trick history of the Thrashers/Jets 2.0

From Wikipedia: In 2007–08, Kovalchuk scored two consecutive hat tricks in a loss to the Ottawa Senators and a win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on November 1 and 3, 2007, respectively.

Wiki also shows that Kovalchuk had 11 hat tricks while with the Thrashers.

From Winnipeg Free Press: 32 hat tricks for the Thrashers.

Hat tricks in Thrashers/Jets history: Ilya Kovalchuk (11), Marian Hossa (3), Dany Heatley (2), Ray Ferraro (2), Vyacheslav Kozlov (2), Donald Audette (2), Bryan Little (1), Eric Boulton (1), Anthony Stewart (1), Ronald Petrovicky (1), Kamil Piros (1), Shawn McEachern (1), Pascal Rheaume (1), Shean Donovan (1), Tomi Kallin (1), Dean Sylvester (1)

For the Jets 2.0 hat tricks are Little, Ehlers and Scheifele and of course Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad