Prospect Info: Hatrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He's that guy the other team simply can't lose track of, but he has this uncanny ability to find the soft spots in coverage and have the puck get to him. It just makes him so dangerous.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Check out the comments. The guy really stole the stick form the kid. Not cool. :rant:

For the 2nd star you can see Scheifele point to the recipient before he sends the stick over. I'm sure the kid will get something nice. Maybe even the exact same thing considering it wasn't a game stick at all.

It just seems like Maurice is really, really impressed by him, his drive and character.

On that article he said Laines 2nd strenght is unbeliavable drive and will to win.
He kind of has good kind of rage in his game.

This isn't really a question for today but that article made me wonder.

edit, Im not saying he has to be the next captain because he's a Finn, during summer I thought it's going to be Scheifele C, Laine A, Ehlers/Trouba with A at some point.
I'm just wondering what does Maurice think.

I think it will still be Scheifele. Not just because he's a GCB and is way better at answering in boring platitudes (bad for us, good for a team). He's been groomed for a long time to fill that role.

I do think Laine will be a great leader both on and off the ice, though. Especially on.

Wheeler has shown amazing leadership this year, by the way. Little love to him, despite the fact that we're trying to give away his job. :laugh:

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
I´m still expecting him to make only something like 25+20. This season will be long and he is only 18. I hope that i´m wrong but reality is that he is not yet old enough for 82 games season with 19min.toi--> We have seen that before with guys like Larkin, Nuge, Eichel etc...

Still this start is sensational and i love the way how he plays right now. Lets hope he can keep it up. :yo:

Said this yesterday before the game... :shakehead

I´m not anymore sure what to expect or even think. He actually time to time looks like Lemieux at his rookie season. Love to watch this kid playing and my hockey fire is first time back after years. I hope only that Winnipeg is not trading this young superstar ever away. This story is gold.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Said this yesterday before the game... :shakehead

I´m not anymore sure what to expect or even think. He actually time to time looks like Lemieux at his rookie season. Love to watch this kid playing and my hockey fire is first time back after years. I hope only that Winnipeg is not trading this young superstar ever away. This story is gold.

I think its safe to say that if all goes according to plan Laine will be a Jet for a long time.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I hope only that Winnipeg is not trading this young superstar ever away.

It's hilarious really that Winnipegians are a bit conscious about everyone possibly not wanting to play in the cold northern prairie and the matter comes up a little over Laine every now and then, while all the Finns are obviously still a bit sore about that one late 90's trade and took it as an affront that the Jets went and sold us. :laugh:

(Everything's forgiven of course after that warmest welcome back that Teemu got when Ducks first time played the 2.0 there.)

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Build this guy a sauna.....for that matter.... build his mom one, as well....

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It's hilarious really that Winnipegians are a bit conscious about everyone possibly not wanting to play in the cold northern prairie and the matter comes up a little over Laine every now and then, while all the Finns are obviously still a bit sore about that one late 90's trade and took it as an affront that the Jets went and sold us. :laugh:

(Everything's forgiven of course after that warmest welcome back that Teemu got when Ducks first time played the 2.0 there.)

Those happenings are indeed also part of the collective memory in Finland too.

Hopefully WPG 2.0 doesn't make The Mistake 2.0...

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Build this guy a sauna.....for that matter.... build his mom one, as well....

This is something Winnipeg might have to do.

I've heard that Pate has said he likes living in Winnipeg because it's like Tampere but a bit bigger expect for one fact. It misses a proper Sauna that kinda place where you can dip into frozen water.

http://www.talviuimarit.fi/kaupinojan-sauna/kaupinoja-sauna-in-english/

That is the place Pate preferred in Tampere ( there are many like that here ). You can start a petition in Winnipeg to build one when Pates ELC contract ends so you get him to sing new contract.

Thought there is a proper 'inside' Sauna in MTS center so they don't have to modify the arena.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This is something Winnipeg might have to do.

I've heard that Pate has said he likes living in Winnipeg because it's like Tampere but a bit bigger expect for one fact. It misses a proper Sauna that kinda place where you can dip into frozen water.

http://www.talviuimarit.fi/kaupinojan-sauna/kaupinoja-sauna-in-english/

That is the place Pate preferred in Tampere ( there are many like that here ). You can start a petition in Winnipeg to build one when Pates ELC contract ends so you get him to sing new contract.

Thought there is a proper 'inside' Sauna in MTS center so they don't have to modify the arena.

http://www.thermea.ca/en/photos/

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Looks like a real deal and seems to close to MTS center. I wonder if he already knows about the place.

Laine probably would go in there naked and get arrested for whatever reason:laugh: Arent people in NA wearing a towel in sauna? I doubt if he knows that.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Haha. Finnish Sauna habits can be indeed be considered very hard core at that side of the pond. Certain misunderstandings are almost inevitable.

I'm not sure how dense American-Finnish community is there in the friendly Manitoba compared to some other areas in Canada and US where Finnish immigrants have brought the Finnish Sauna culture with them, or how it has developed there ever since. Hard to say how much local efforts could be put to get Sauna for Pate.

No Finn should expect that people all around the world should strictly follow Finnish sauna etiquette in foreign circumstances and environments. In Finland, that's other topic...

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Laine probably would go in there naked and get arrested for whatever reason:laugh: Arent people in NA wearing a towel in sauna? I doubt if he knows that.

Let's be real. For the kind of money he will be making, he can build his own little Kaupinoja on his estate and wear whatever he wants. :nod:

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Every person from Scandinavia and Finland knows it's sacrilegious to enter a sauna with anything but a towel and hopefully that never changes!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Every person from Scandinavia and Finland knows it's sacrilegious to enter a sauna with anything but a towel and hopefully that never changes!

A towel? I've never been to a sauna where everyone wasn't naked. Whether it was a public or a family sauna. Never seen a towel.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
A towel? I've never been to a sauna where everyone wasn't naked. Whether it was a public or a family sauna. Never seen a towel.

In Denmark my experience is we usually just use a small towel to sit on. Thought the same would be the case in Finland but I guess I am wrong.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Personally, I am a bit of a linguist and as such always make the effort to learn the proper pronunciation of foreign names. I do think, however, that I can offer a bit of an explanation for the difficulty my countrymen have with Finnish:
We suspect that there are rules for pronunciation, and that they're probably fairly consistent (as most languages are, aside from English). The problem is that we have very close to zero cultural exposure to Finnish; unlike, say, Swedish or Russian, we just have no idea how Finnish is supposed to sound. The little exposure we DO have to the language is in the form of the names of athletes, which (as you've obviously seen) are consistently mangled by the sportscasters from whom we hear them. What this means is that the only vague ideas we have about the rules of Finnish pronunciation are, in fact, wrong.

That's a pretty good take on it. I'll just add the factoid that every deeper discussion on pronunciation should really start from the other end. Words existed in speech way before they were put in writing. (Goes for any individual, and for mankind just the same.) Fundamentally it's not about how a written word is pronounced, it's about how a spoken word is spelled. When you get down to it, this approach actually explains some of the little mysteries, haha.

It's pretty much taken for granted in the science of General Linguistics, for good reason, that speech is the primary and more important form of language. Writing is not where the development happens, written "official" language is kind of like a snapshot that's always a little outdated every time it got done...

Edit: What do you mean, "off topic"? :D

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
In Denmark my experience is we usually just use a small towel to sit on. Thought the same would be the case in Finland but I guess I am wrong.

Some use, Some not.. I think he were thinking, that bigger version of the towel.. And yes, but mostly womans use it to cover themselfs up. If/when, there's unfamiliar person in the sauna.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm not sure how dense American-Finnish community is there in the friendly Manitoba compared to some other areas in Canada and US where Finnish immigrants have brought the Finnish Sauna culture with them, or how it has developed there ever since. Hard to say how much local efforts could be put to get Sauna for Pate.

Patterns of settlement are always kind of random and unpredictable. The only significant Scandinavian community in Manitoba is Icelanders, of all things. But my Alberta-born wife is part Norwegian from settlement there, and I do know there was a sizable Finnish population in Thunder Bay, around a nine hour drive to the east.

Really, the only Finns that seem to make it to Manitoba are hockey players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad