Prospect Info: Hatrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I started thinking could he be the next Captain on the team?

I've thought this far Scheifele will be the next one but those comments from Maurice made me wonder.
-He's going to be the leader of this team and very soon from that MVT3 article I posted yesterday.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

I've thought this far Scheifele will be the next one but those comments from Maurice made me wonder.
-He's going to be the leader of this team and very soon from that MVT3 article I posted yesterday.

Why? He seems to be an amazingly gifted offensive hockey player - but I don't get the greatest leadership vibes :dunno: ... not that he has to have them anyway.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Ehlers strikes me of more of a captain, than Laine. But at 18 years of age, he is so young, that in 7 years from now he maybe the defacto leader of this team

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

This is obviously just my personal feeling, but Laine doesn't really strike to me as the guy who wears the C. Not that he's not capable of leading the way, he probably is. But he seems like a guy who wants to focus on his thing on the ice. Maybe he's going to be wearing A at some point. But if I had to bet, I'd say Laine is not going to be the captain of the team. And it's totally fine.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why? He seems to be an amazingly gifted offensive hockey player - but I don't get the greatest leadership vibes :dunno: ... not that he has to have them anyway.

Ehlers strikes me of more of a captain, than Laine. But at 18 years of age, he is so young, that in 7 years from now he maybe the defacto leader of this team

It just seems like Maurice is really, really impressed by him, his drive and character.

On that article he said Laines 2nd strenght is unbeliavable drive and will to win.
He kind of has good kind of rage in his game.

This isn't really a question for today but that article made me wonder.

edit, Im not saying he has to be the next captain because he's a Finn, during summer I thought it's going to be Scheifele C, Laine A, Ehlers/Trouba with A at some point.
I'm just wondering what does Maurice think.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I've always believed that you want the player that best exemplifies the qualities you want in a hockey player to be your captain, not necessarily the best goal scorer. Patty Kane isn't the Hawks' captain, after all.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've always believed that you want the player that best exemplifies the qualities you want in a hockey player to be your captain, not necessarily the best goal scorer. Patty Kane isn't the Hawks' captain, after all.

Unbeliavable drive and will to win, going to be a leader of this team soon.
Wouldn't Maurice words fit that pretty well with Laine?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

You can look for a lot of things in a captain. I always felt that unless there is a clear cut strong presence in the locker room, who is the obvious choice for the captain, let the team decide.

Nevertheless, teams will have inner dynamics and the letters are just there for the fans and officials to see. Contending teams will have players who step up and take the role on and off the ice no matter the letters. The players know which are the individuals leading the way and counted on tough spots. We fans, well we can just play the guessing game.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I was at the game last night. What a privilege. I called Laine's OZ passing lackadaisical. Well not anymore, it was crisp and precise last night. His puck battling has improved immensely. He was finishing all his checks. He was scoring goals at ease. He was sticking up for his teammates (not just this game) He literally is getting better and better right before our very eyes, and while he is adapting to the game he is still contributing at such I high level.

Wrist shot unlocked
One timer unlocked
Tip in unlocked
5vs5 unlocked
6vs4 unlocked
5vs3 unlocked
5vs4 unlocked
3vs3 unlocked
OT game winner unlocked
Hatrick unlocked

Slap shot locked
Backhand locked
Breakaway locked
4vs4 locked
Shootout locked
Deke locked

Achievement Beast mode

Edited for adds

Last edited:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

Laine seems too reserved to be a captain; I don't see him being the alpha type guy in the dressing room (he's more like Ladd in this respect). Of course, in a few years that might change.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Laine seems too reserved to be a captain; I don't see him being the alpha type guy in the dressing room (he's more like Ladd in this respect). Of course, in a few years that might change.

Same perception here. But... What comes to Captain tradition of Finnish-born players it is still not in principle an impossibility... and We still talk about 18yo rookie here, you know. I do not except that his should try mimic leader figure, when he isn't yet developed fully even physically.

His personality will probs work best for a team if he has allowed be offensive 'libero' to some degree in a line with elder, real playmaker center Captain.

2 cents.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I've always thought that Scheifele will get the C, Morrissey eventually get an A, and reading through this thread, one of Laine or Ehlers with the other A.

We are blessed to have this group of kids coming up now. Wow.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Patrik Laine chasing (and making) history

Laine-gets-the-trick-300x200.jpg

Had a chance to speak with him following the game about keeping pace with Selanne's goal total from 1992-93. Plenty of interesting stats as well.

Click here.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I was at the game last night. What a privilege. I called Laine's OZ passing lackadaisical. Well not anymore, it was crisp and precise last night. His puck battling has improved immensely. He was finishing all his checks. He was scoring goals at ease. He was sticking up for his teammates (not just this game) He literally is getting better and better right before our very eyes, and while he is adapting to the game he is still contributing at such I high level.

Wrist shot unlocked
One timer unlocked
Tip in unlocked
6vs4 unlocked
5vs3 unlocked
5vs4 unlocked
3vs3 unlocked
OT game winner unlocked
Hatrick unlocked

Slap shot locked
Backhand locked
Breakaway locked
4vs4 locked

Achievement Beast mode

His OT game winner against the Leafs for his first "Hatrik" was a breakaway goal.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Kid hasn't played 15 games yet....but at 18, he already making in-game adjustments on a nightly basis. His overall positioning and instincts are excellent.

Started with scoring from the perimeter with dat shot.....now moving in closer to the net for tips and rebounds with dat frame.

Talent, desire and Hockey sense.....lethal combination

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland

It's hard to say what he'll be like, since so far he's always been the youngest guy on the team, even at the WJC. If he was to become a captain, it's after he gets fully comfortable in the new team, culture and language and becomes one of the more seasoned and consistent players on the team. He would never be the Toews or Bergeron type captain, more like a laid back, witty morale booster which suits his personality better. Anyways, he doesn't need to be the captain but I think he will eventually have the charisma to pull it off.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I don't think he's reserved at all. I think he's probably going to be one of the more vocal guys in the locker room in a few years. Right now he's a rookie and he knows he has to earn his stripes. I also think his English skills are still holding him back in interviews. I think he's going to be a real treat in interviews when he finally feels fully confident within the team and with his English skills that he can really speak his mind.

I think it doesn't really matter who carries the C. It has no bearing on who the real leaders are within the team and inside the locker room. Back when Crosby was named captain, his team had veterans like Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts. There's no doubt in my mind those guys set the tone in the locker room even though Crosby was symbolically the captain.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Considering there was a defenseman in front of him that goal was definitely not a breakaway, Slayer.

Add shootout goal to your list of "locked" too dogs! Fun list.

Hmmm after re-watching, it seems that I have remembered that goal wrong.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

In the summer I thought he could be a guy who wears A on his chest one day. He's 18 and on a new country so it shouldn't be too surprising if he sounds reserved for media.

But the kid keeps impressing and instead of having "character issues" as so many loved to claim(non Jets fans) he seems to have a great character and if he leads the team on the ice isn't that what you look from your C.
+ If he develops into superstar will that add pressure to give him the C.

But from what I've seen from Scheif I think he'd make a great Captain and I bet Laine would have zero issues with that.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
I have to say as a HockeyFan this is pure Gold!
He is where the puck ends up so often its creepy!
I got this Sundin/Selane vibe!
Maybe not the most skills of all rookies this year but Easy the best overall player
and the way he finds the puck for a scoring chance is topnotch!
He got GWG written all over his face!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad