Prospect Info: Hatrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Cullen from TSN is predicting 18+17=35pts for Laine.

Puts him behind

Matthews 49
Strome 46
Marner 45
Aho 42
Connor 37
Puljujaarvi 36

3rd best Finn rookie?

http://www.tsn.ca/crosby-leads-list-of-top-300-projected-scorers-1.565371

Have to wonder why everyone is predicting that few points for Laine. It's like everyone read the Yahoo projections and went "Yeah, that looks good."

Behind Connor? That seems suuuuuper unlikely to me.. I'd be willing to bet those are pretty heavily skewed by NHLE.

Toronto bias?

To build on what Aavco said the other comment I heard Maurice say on H&L about Laine when he was asked about him playing with the Jets. Mo said (paraphrase) 'our goal is to win games now and sometimes the trouble with young offensively gifted players is they need to learn how to play defense and that takes time'. He went on to say 'the good thing about Finnish players is they all seem to be taught to play defense from a young age'. Mo also said 'Patrik has a good stick and a good understanding of where to be and how to play defensively so it is easier to trust him with good players and against good players in the NHL'.

I tried to download the podcast of this Pmo interview on H&L but I am in a bit of a rush this morning.

Continue from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2095563

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was wondering when this was going to come up. Depending on how Laine is used...and how he has produced in the past...their projection is pretty far off. If we stick him with Perreault or Little, I think he could hit 60pts

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I personally could care less what the pundits think with regards to player point totals and impact. It means next to nothing with regards to what they will actually do.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I personally could care less what the pundits think with regards to player point totals and impact. It means next to nothing with regards to what they will actually do.

Yup. Still, what makes them think that Matthews will have a 49 point rookie season playing with the players he will, yet Laine will have a 39 point season while playing with superior, more experienced NHLers?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup. Still, what makes them think that Matthews will have a 49 point rookie season playing with the players he will, yet Laine will have a 39 point season while playing with superior, more experienced NHLers?

Eastern bias. Notice how all the top rookies are either affiliated with Toronto or grew up in Ontario.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Really? You have to ask? He is obviously assuming that Connor plays with Little and Laine plays with Thor. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Interesting that he expects neither Connor nor Laine to score as many points as Ehlers had last year.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
not that i think that Matthews is the 2nd coming, but the Leafs have little punch up front. Uncle Leo won't be their 3rd leading point getter and 2nd highest scorer for a second year.

I also think Marner will do meh.

Laine should score more. then again, i thought Ehlers would suck for 1/4 of the season then turn it on. i was off by 1/2 a season :)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess I'm in the minority in that I really don't have much of an expectation of Patrik aside from that he fits in well, learns a lot and contributes some points. I actually don't expect huge things from the Jets in general except that the young players get good ice time and a chance to grow. I know the NHL isn't a development league, but we have a ton of really good hockey players that just happen to be young.

Of course I want everyone to be a star and have us win lots of games, but at this point I'm curbing my expectations and looking forward to watching a young, fast, fun team.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I dont know, 18 goals and 17 assists seems very realistic. More is better of course. Hopefully he is part of a vastly improved powerplay and that vaults his stats up. I will not be devastated if he only scores 18 goals in his rookie year.

For what it is worth the Forecaster predicts Laine with 28 goals and 28 assists for 56 points (with Scheifele leading the team with 74 points).They also predict Matthews with 14g + 25a = 39pts (and Marner in the OHL).

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess I'm in the minority in that I really don't have much of an expectation of Patrik aside from that he fits in well, learns a lot and contributes some points. I actually don't expect huge things from the Jets in general except that the young players get good ice time and a chance to grow. I know the NHL isn't a development league, but we have a ton of really good hockey players that just happen to be young.

Of course I want everyone to be a star and have us win lots of games, but at this point I'm curbing my expectations and looking forward to watching a young, fast, fun team.

I think the problem is more so to do with the production of some of the other players I. E Mathews and Mariner. All of the things you have said also apply to both of those players. They will be going to a team in the Leafs with a coach in Babcock who preaches defense first. Both of those two like Laine will have play responsible hockey to get minutes. After all this is the same Babcock that wouldn't play Rielly on the PP until his play without the puck was at a reasonable level.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think there is a false assumption that Laine should pick up right were he left off from last season, and that is just not how this works.

He is going to have to relearn and reacquaint his body to the level he left off at, and that could take half a season for a young 18 year old. The season after this season, it may only take him a month, year after maybe a couple of weeks. As his career progresses, the level that he starts his season out at will increase, and consistency is achieved.

Ehlers as well, we should not be expecting Nik to start the season at the level he finished off at. He may need a month to relearn that level, possibly more.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I expect him to have more assists than goals. His passing is very good, if defense plays his shot off (as every defender should) he can be really creative to make plays.

That said, I'm expecting 20 to 40 games of adjusting (World Cup will probably help) and a strong 2nd half w/ 40+ points at the end. Assuming he plays mostly top six minutes or at least 3rd line + 1st PP. 50pt season would be huge.

But still, Laine is such a huge talent that if he gets his groove on he can do almost anything. The odds for that happening as soon as next season are small, but... I think I'll be watching a lot of Jets games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Laine will hit 20 points (5v5, primary points only, of course... nothing else matters). :sarcasm:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Staying up and waiting for the game to begin (at 2am). Don't think I would be arsed to ruin sleep for a practise game, but seeing Laine makes it worthy! He hasn't yet showed what he's capable of, and I believe he will work some magic even in this tournament (while not having overly unreal expectations).

For the season I'm expecting him to net twenty goals as long as he stays healthy. Thirty is not off the table if he really adapts quickly and is able to make a rather smooth transition. However we have to remember that the off-season for just drafted Europeans is rough, having to travel back and forth the continents while having somewhat limited time to train. Hopefully he stays healthy, has a crazy next summer and really hits the league hard on his second season. Anyway even if those things didn't happen, he will be in flames (literally, not the team) by his third year, just book it!

I will be up again for some of the Jets games when the season starts no matter the time, just like with the World Cup. This kid is worth it.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I don't think we'll be overly wow'd by Laine this year. My guess is he'll bounce around the lineup a bit and end off with about 36 points. It'll likely take him a while to adapt.
I expect Ehlers to have a breakout season.
If Connor can stick, I think he'll surprise a few people as well.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I predict Ehler to lead the pack solely because he is more experienced, and I hope that Ehler-Schefeile-Wheeler get a good shot again this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->