News Article: Has Matthews Plateaud? by Bruce Arthur -- Mod warning post #127

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd say that title is still Ovechkin's. The PP is very important and can make or break a game. Maybe Matthews isn't being used in the best way to maximize his PP output, but until Ovi either drops off or Matthews get's his PP numbers up, Ovechkin is still the best goal scorer in the game.

Ovechkin needs virtually double the PP time just to barely eke out Matthews in overall goal productivity.

Reactions: biotk and IPS

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I have no idea why Leafs fans are so eager to be miserable. People are staring themselves blind on some flaws to the point that they forget that we are looking at a 21-year old who is already the second best goalscorer in the league, and who - if you account for opportunity - has had a better start to his career than all but a few players in the cap era. People who purposefully **** away their enjoyment of that deserves whatever bad might come to this organization. If you pursue misery, misery is what you get.

I loved watching my kid when he played rep hockey. I hated every single game he was held off the scoresheet. I feel the same way about Matthews. It's love, not hate that generates the discussions that may seem like some of us are complaining. I want him to excel and be the best player he can be, nothing more.

Edit: but yeah, I still feel like Habs fans don't deserve Price after the way they and the Montreal media crapped all over him early in his career. He's still one of my favourite players because of how composed he's always looked even with stuff like that happening.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
oh, he's the first best goalscorer in the league, actually.
If our moron coach could ever figure out how to get the PP working again, this point would get hammered home a lot more.

Matthews is currently operating on an uneven playing field compared to his competitors, not only does he not get nearly their PP time, but the PP time he gets is much less effective due to the moron coach's inability to make adjustments to a malfunctional PP.

horner

May 22, 2007
Matthews went from generational talent to pseudo star not living up to the hype as soon as he put pen to paper. Some fans should be ashamed of themselves. If the Leafs had McDavid I'm sure some Leaf fans would find reason to **** on him too.
You can tell he is working his ass off.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Matthews went from generational talent to pseudo star not living up to the hype as soon as he put pen to paper. Some fans should be ashamed of themselves. If the Leafs had McDavid I'm sure some Leaf fans would find reason to **** on him too.
And yet John Tavares somehow doesn't face the same scrutiny around here...

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
And yet John Tavares somehow doesn't face the same scrutiny around here...

Because he consistently brings it? We already had an established expectation for him as well. Pretty obvious why one gets scrutinized and the other doesn't.

Tavares is currently more consistent, less injury prone, having a career year, and cheaper on a longer term. Why would he be held to the same standard?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Matthews has indeed plateaued. He has two fragile shoulders, he cannot beast at puck stripping any more. He is a great scorer. But he was greater when he could freak out anyone with a puck that he wanted.

It is what it is, he was smart to steal an extra two million or so a year from dumbass.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews has indeed plateaued. He has two fragile shoulders, he cannot beast at puck stripping any more. He is a great scorer. But he was greater when he could freak out anyone with a puck that he wanted.

It is what it is, he was smart to steal an extra two million or so a year from dumbass.
Calm down. He got charged by Trouba with his guard completely down and un-braced, shit will happen. There's a saying in boxing and MMA: "it's the punch you don't see coming that knocks you out."

Reactions: Menzinger and biotk

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Calm down. He got charged by Trouba with his guard completely down and un-braced, **** will happen. There's a saying in boxing and MMA: "it's the punch you don't see coming that knocks you out."

It's your job as a player to protect yourself at all times and not leave yourself in a vulnerable position.

RLF

May 5, 2014
If our moron coach could ever figure out how to get the PP working again, this point would get hammered home a lot more.

Matthews is currently operating on an uneven playing field compared to his competitors, not only does he not get nearly their PP time, but the PP time he gets is much less effective due to the moron coach's inability to make adjustments to a malfunctional PP.

Coaches can help with PP set up, but the players have to make the proper reads. Our guys were going to the same well too often and it was getting shut down. It is getting better now as they are less stagnant and making more creative and better reads. This is the same coach who was in charge of it when it was great. When a PP struggles, typically it is just as much a player issue as a coaching issue.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Coaches can help with PP set up, but the players have to make the proper reads. Our guys were going to the same well too often and it was getting shut down. It is getting better now as they are less stagnant and making more creative and better reads. This is the same coach who was in charge of it when it was great. When a PP struggles, typically it is just as much a player issue as a coaching issue.

Basically with some posters it goes like this:

Team is having success -> Credit players , make no mention of coach
Team is not having success -> Blame the coach, make no mention of players

The cognitive dissonance is strong with these types.

Reactions: mclaren55

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Incredible that we have LEAF fans bashing Matthews!!! Only in Toronto do you get bandwagon jumpers that do know a thing about the game but feel the teams best prospect in a long time isn't any good.

Watch the games people. Even when he isn't scoring he's preventing the best player in the league to score as he does at will every game. He shutdown McDavid the other night. Matthews is a complete player and to be honest probably the best 2-way center we have on our team.

Its not about what he doesn't do, its what does he not know how to do? And the answer folks, is hes a complete player at 21 years old which will only get better.

Give it a rest people.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I loved watching my kid when he played rep hockey. I hated every single game he was held off the scoresheet. I feel the same way about Matthews. It's love, not hate that generates the discussions that may seem like some of us are complaining. I want him to excel and be the best player he can be, nothing more.

Edit: but yeah, I still feel like Habs fans don't deserve Price after the way they and the Montreal media crapped all over him early in his career. He's still one of my favourite players because of how composed he's always looked even with stuff like that happening.
Yeah, I really know what you mean. I just feel like there's more than a few that go way beyond that.

Reactions: HR Pickens

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

This fan base has had such a strange vibe all season. The way some folks are behaving you’d presume the team was a lock for a bottom 5 finish or that Matthews was on pace for 30 points....

Misery is king here

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Players plateau earlier in their careers now because they come into the league more polished. There's a significant time and money spent on development prior to entering the league. So I don't think it's reasonable to predict that Matthew's production will increase greatly as he gains more experience.

Reactions: theblackadder

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Players plateau earlier in their careers now because they come into the league more polished. There's a significant time and money spent on development prior to entering the league. So I don't think it's reasonable to predict that Matthew's production will increase greatly as he gains more experience.

Yeah I think you're right....I would say laine, Dubois, keller, McAvoy, sergachev have all plateaued as well

Cant see how any of these current 21 year old could possibly get any better, considering matthews has possibly plateaued and these guys are from his draft class.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Matthew's PPG has increased pretty dramatically his last 2 years, even with his injury issues. A healthy year and more experience should only raise it further.

On top of that, a center's role goes beyond just point production, and he has room to grow defensively as well.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sure, but nowadays the average offensive peak starts at 23. That's still two years away.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
MATTY is very soft 95 percent of the time, very frustrating- prob the most frustrating star player today. he can literally DOMINATE if he wanted to every night. But hes a floater and soft player.
Remind you of Kessel at all?

member 300185

Look. Everyone has some valid points. Fact is, it is very easy to figure out why our starts are so poor and sometimes we get lit up. First, Babcock is not the right coach for this team.

If you want Matthews to get to another level, you have to sit him when he is being lazy. We only have a few players who bring it every night and that is JT, Marner and Rielly. THATS IT! Everyone else are passengers right now. Our so called talented, speedy depth do not back check.

Defence is a team game, not just 2 guys standing on the blue line. It is clear as day that most of the players do not back check.

You have to skate back to your own end as fast as you skate into the offensive end. That clearly is not the case.

Yea we have a ton of firepower, but so do other teams. The good teams that consistently beat us like Boston, TB, etc beat us because they have free reign through the neutral zone. They are able to generate speed through the neutral zone which gives our less mobile defence fits.

By the time our forwards are all back, the other team is setting up plays.

When we pour it on, no one in the league can touch us. The forwards need to learn how to back check like their lives depend on it. Only then, will we have a good enough team to win the cup.

Prediction: first round exit.

Solution: Fire Babcock, bring in JQ. JQ teaches forwards to back check.

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad