News Article: Has Matthews Plateaud? by Bruce Arthur -- Mod warning post #127

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I have posted many times about how Tampa spreads around ice time and how it is completely different than Toronto.

If you look at Tampa's win against Montreal on Feb 16th. It was 0 - 0 after two periods. Tampa kept on ramping up the ice time for their star players. Kucherov, who played over 23 minutes, played almost 9 minutes in the third (when Tampa scored 3 goals). That is always the case when Tampa is behind or tied going into the third.

Toronto lost to St Louis 3 days later, were down by 2 going into the third. Kadri went down to injury early in the game, and yet Matthews not only played under 17 minutes, he played on 5:32 in the third.

This consistently happens. Tampa plays the crap out their star players and stacks the lines if they are tied or losing after 2 peri0ds - and have a very good record when either being tied or trailing entering the third. Toronto doesn't do that at all and has a bad record.

Tampa when behind or tied after 2: 18-11-2 (0.613)
Toronto when behind or tied after 2: 9-21-4 (0.323)

Babcock

LEBOOM

Mar 10, 2019
100% man.

My worst fear is that Brown is promoted to Matthews wing, just like Komorov was last year when the going gets tough.
Its going to be tough vs Tampa.
Its going to be tough vs Boston in RD 1.

Brown should be replaced by Ennis, Moore, Petan IN THAT ORDER
I personally have kinda reached a indifference regarding this season. Babcock does too many stubborn things to be that invested in this team. Either the Leafs will win round 1 vs the Bruins, or lose and Babcock is on the hot seat. I've come to terms that this team will never take that next step with him behind the bench although if he proves me wrong I'll happily eat crow.

JonnyImpact

Mar 11, 2019
PP

Kucherov 3:40
Stamkos 3:35
Point 3:17
Hedman 3:14

Marner 2:33
Tavares 2:33
Matthews 2:31
Rielly 2:32

Tampa averages 3.3 power plays per game while the Leafs are 2nd last in the league at 2.6 which is a big reason why our players get less ice time on the power play

If you look at it as a %, Tampa gets 9.4 PIMA/G (opponent penalty minutes per game) while the Leafs get 6.8 PIMA/G...where our top players get around 34% of "power play time" while Tampa gets 33% to 36%. Pretty much the same. (note: this is an approximation as the PIMA/G doesn't take into account offsetting penalties)

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
My overall point is that Johnsson deserves nowhere near TT money. If TT is punished for subpar seasons in the nhl when he was 20-22, then what does that say for Johnsson who couldn’t even make the nhl at those ages?

If TT got 5.4x5, then Johnsson is worth probably less than 3milx5. 2.5x4. 2x3
All these people saying Johnsson will get numbers like 3.5x3 are nuts.
Except they're negotiating with Dubas. He has to pay the Dubas Premium and the Ontario Tax Penalty.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Except they're negotiating with Dubas. He has to pay the Dubas Premium and the Ontario Tax Penalty.
It’s funny, because on the main boards the narrative is that teams like the leafs are at a dramatic advantage due to their financial ability to heavily front load contracts.

So why doesnt that advantage for the players even out the tax issue? Why doesn’t Dubas get ANY cap hit relief for the heavily front loaded contracts?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Just my opinion and haven't read the 25 pages here, but IMO it's his conditioning. Looks gassed out there after a few strides. Seems obvious sometimes. Wonder if others agree.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Because other teams play him tighter and tougher, his lack of willingness to engage physically puts him at a disadvantage. Several times tonight he could have rubbed a player out and taken the puck away from him but instead decided to fly by with a stick check or spin off the check. It has been easy for him growing up playing in less competitive league as a young player and for a lot of his pro career but the word is out if you play him physically he loses his drive. All we hear is how he wants to be the best but the way he has been playing a lot of the time it seems he doesn’t understand what it will take to be that and to lead the team to winning the cup. He’s young so that’s could be one reason for his inconsistent play but it could also be a lack of will and effort.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The guy has been the model of consistency, he produces points at a similar rate at home and away, he actually scores at a better pace on the road, not sure what you can glean from that. He may not score at the dominant pace us fans think he should score at but you cant deny he has been consistent.

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTG
Home2713183114590021
Road27171229-36670021
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Month over month he is remarkably consistent, with the exception of January he is more than a point per game player. For what ever reason he kinda went off the rails in January at only 0.8 points per game ;)

OCT1110616-12450021
NOV121310120000
DEC13791690240021
JAN10268-90110000
FEB159716-18340000
MAR4011-10000000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He likes his Tuesdays games... a lot... averaging 2.0 points per game, scoring at just over 1 goal per game on Tuesdays.

Sunday4235-30000000
Monday6145-22000000
Tuesday6751250230011
Wednesday762822340011
Thursday116612-24460020
Friday3123-30000000
Saturday17781512230000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He likes to play vs Atlantic division, scoring at a pace of 1.32 points per game. Not so much vs Metro teams, he scores at a .69 points per game.

SplitsGPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPGWGOTGPPG
Atlantic191411251658421.32
Central117714-6034001.27
Western22121426-3257001.18
Pacific1157123223001.09
Eastern321816341869421.06
Metropolitan134590211000.69
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The top teams he scores against

GPGAP/-+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWG
vs DET433602220010
vs BUF332542000011
vs COL2145-20120000
vs MTL3314-22220011
vs FLA322400130010
vs WSH322420110000
vs CHI122410000000
vs BOS212300000000
vs OTT2213-10010000
vs VAN212330000000
vs SJS121310120000
vs VGK121310110000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pull out all the stats you want. The team needs more from him or they’re going nowhere. He doesn’t look engaged out there. Compare his effort level to Marner and Tavares right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Because other teams play him tighter and tougher, his lack of willingness to engage physically puts him at a disadvantage. Several times tonight he could have rubbed a player out and taken the puck away from him but instead decided to fly by with a stick check or spin off the check. It has been easy for him growing up playing in less competitive league as a young player and for a lot of his pro career but the word is out if you play him physically he loses his drive. All we hear is how he wants to be the best but the way he has been playing a lot of the time it seems he doesn’t understand what it will take to be that and to lead the team to winning the cup. He’s young so that’s could be one reason for his inconsistent play but it could also be a lack of will and effort.

If you watch the Penguins you’d be surprised how angry Malkin plays. He decked out the Bruins defense almost scored and was so upset he broke his stick. Not to mention he goes full psycho in the corners every once in a while. Until Matthews learns to be a beast like that and hate to lose, combined with using his body like a weapon he’s going to have a reputation as being soft.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
On Prime Time Sports, they mentioned that Matthews is a minus player this year. They were shocked. TBH, I am too - I had never looked.

Needless to say, they are concerned about the Leafs chances in Round 1 against Boston - especially after last night.

Last edited:

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown

He should be feasting on 2nd pairing defenders and forward lines, but that's not the case.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If you watch the Penguins you’d be surprised how angry Malkin plays. He decked out the Bruins defense almost scored and was so upset he broke his stick. Not to mention he goes full psycho in the corners every once in a while. Until Matthews learns to be a beast like that and hate to lose, combined with using his body like a weapon he’s going to have a reputation as being soft.
But anger is a negative emotion and is an expression of toxic masculinity.. We can't have aggression and anger in sports.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The relationship between Babs and Mathews is an issue. Not sure if there are other players who have a similar relationship but someone needs to say enough is enough and put the screws to players and hold them accountable.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Something seems off. He was an absolute pick hound the last two seasons, a complete two way player. It looks like on some nights he checks out. I personally think he hates the coaching or he is having some lingering physical issues. If we can even get back 25 percent of the player he was pre injury we can beat the Bruins.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The difference there is that you are crediting Malkin for what is an exception to his normal game, which is very similar to what Matthews has shown lately. If the demand is that Matthews put in a full effort and use his body to dominate the puck consistently, then Malkin would fail to live up to it as well. There's a reason Pens fans talk about how Malkin can dominate defensively if he chooses, that he can take over a game if he chooses.

I think it's odd that the criticisms have somehow only intensified after a game where he was one of the few players who played with some pride.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
The difference there is that you are crediting Malkin for what is an exception to his normal game, which is very similar to what Matthews has shown lately. If the demand is that Matthews put in a full effort and use his body to dominate the puck consistently, then Malkin would fail to live up to it as well. There's a reason Pens fans talk about how Malkin can dominate defensively if he chooses, that he can take over a game if he chooses.

I think it's odd that the criticisms have somehow only intensified after a game where he was one of the few players who played with some pride.
IMO when Malkin feels like playing, and/or when Crosby is out and he knows he has to carry the team, there is no better player in the NHL. In saying that he doesn't always play like that though, and I've mentioned in other threads, that Eichels first 3 years were like that - sometimes it takes elite players to grow into "goode pros". Matthews it seems is like that, when he on, he's freaking dominating, but he also takes shifts/games off. I think next year will be the true litmus test, but I'm of the opinion already that Babs and Matthews just don't click. Just my 2 cents, so not worth much.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
He should be feasting on 2nd pairing defenders and forward lines, but that's not the case.

It is disgusting that Matthews (generally playing with 3rd line wingers this year) is not feasting on his opposing teams' 2nd pairing defenders and forward lines such as (looks back over the last two games)…..McDavid and Hedman.

Reactions: Sypher04

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Matthews needs to start using his body like Malkin to have success in the playoffs. Last year in the playoffs Malkin threw 1.56 hits per game. The year before 1.24. He brings it. He gets angry. Matthews disappears in playoff hockey throwing a mere 2.00 hits per game in the playoffs last year and 1.50 hits per game the year before.

Reactions: Sypher04

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Malkin has a mean streak that we haven't seen from Matthews. Yes, he's pushed back at times, but never something really aggressive.

And Pens fans have also seen Malkin step up and be their best player in key, critical situations. We haven't seen that from Matthews. They want playoff Malkin in the regular season. We want opening night Matthews in the playoffs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think the difference is Malkin has three cups, a Hart, Art Ross and Conn Smythe, so he can be a little checked out when he feels like it, whereas Matthews still has to climb the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad