Mar 14, 2005
international symbol for "plateau":

1024px-Diamond_road_sign_steep_incline.svg.png

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
international symbol for "plateau":

1024px-Diamond_road_sign_steep_incline.svg.png

Exactly!

As excited as people were before Matthews’ first game as a Leaf, he has been better than anyone could have expected, yet somehow people want to point out a cloud in the silver lining. If it’s not silly threads showing he’s statistically declined since scoring four in his first game, it is the deliberate twisting of narrative to suggest this improving player is somehow flawed because he’s not improving, despite all evidence showing this to be incorrect.

Just because he sometimes looks like he could score on every shift, it is ridiculous to criticize him for not actually doing so.

For the old timers on here, this reminds me of how Frank Mahovlich was treated here, and Matthews is even better than big Frank was.

It’s ok to have nice things.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Yes, that’s right. You’re starting to get it.

The article is asking if what we’re seeing this season is Matthews plateau. It’s not even stating an opinion. It’s asking a question. And it’s not an unfair question, being that it’s not uncommon with other 1st overall elite players like Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin.

But citing season 1 and 2 shows you don’t even understand what the authors point was.
Has his production plateaued? More than likely but have we seen the best hockey from him? Not even close.

One name as an example Steve Yzerman. His first 10 years in the NHL he was a production force but it was his last 10 years where he played his best hockey. There was a reason why he was left off Team Canada during the Canada cups.

People correlate too much emphasis in production as a means of playing good hockey.

What a lot of people wont get is when Matthews buys into winning team hockey his production will take a hit.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Why do people have to keep trying to defend an opinion after it has been crushed? There is no plateau. It’s a dumb article. This thread should be closed because it’s pretty silly at this point. Take the loss and move on. If anything it’s time to worry about playoff production, hopefully that takes a jump this year.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Why do people have to keep trying to defend an opinion after it has been crushed? There is no plateau. It’s a dumb article. This thread should be closed because it’s pretty silly at this point. Take the loss and move on. If anything it’s time to worry about playoff production, hopefully that takes a jump this year.
That's what the majority of this thread is about. Whether Matthews can take his game to the next level when it matters.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
That's what the majority of this thread is about. Whether Matthews can take his game to the next level when it matters.
I thought this examines primarily regular season production as opposed to post season as that (playoffs) is much more difficult to gauge due to qoc and short sample size.
Matthews in first playoff series produced well against caps but in second season was minimized by Bergeron and chara and overall stingy bruins team. They did the same against Crosby in Malkin in the past.
The article doesn’t even incorporate playoffs into the hypothesis. It’s just a brief mention at the end independent of the initial half baked meandering of the main article.
Regardless: the article is so bad and wrong. A new thread on a different Matthews related topic would be more relevant at this point.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I thought this examines primarily regular season production as opposed to post season as that (playoffs) is much more difficult to gauge due to qoc and short sample size.
Matthews in first playoff series produced well against caps but in second season was minimized by Bergeron and chara and overall stingy bruins team. They did the same against Crosby in Malkin in the past.
The article doesn’t even incorporate playoffs into the hypothesis. It’s just a brief mention at the end independent of the initial half baked meandering of the main article.
Regardless: the article is so bad and wrong. A new thread on a different Matthews related topic would be more relevant at this point.
The ongoing discussion that drives this to the length it is, not the initial discussion.

Chara shutdown Matthews, not really Bergeron

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
The ongoing discussion that drives this to the length it is, not the initial discussion.

Chara shutdown Matthews, not really Bergeron
Yeah I know. I think everyone is aware that the original article that the op is focused on is a pile of rushed garbage by this point. Just seems silly to have something discredited serve as a lead in to a discussion topic like playoffs.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
the famous Whistler Plateaus:

images

Another way of saying "plateaued" would be "has reached his prime".
Again, the other elite star players he's compared to, the vast majority reached their prime production wise by their final elc season.

He's on pace for 50 goals/95 points over 82.

I think it's fair to say that his "prime years" might average out at around those numbers. Some seasons a bit better. Some a bit worse.

You still don't understand the term "plateau". You're confusing it with the term "peaked" as proven by the pictures you're showing.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Another way of saying "plateaued" would be "has reached his prime".
Again, the other elite star players he's compared to, the vast majority reached their prime production wise by their final elc season.

false.

He's on pace for 50 goals/95 points over 82.

I think it's fair to say that his "prime years" might average out at around those numbers. Some seasons a bit better. Some a bit worse.

baseless assertion.

You still don't understand the term "plateau". You're confusing it with the term "peaked" as proven by the pictures you're showing.

everyone here understands the word plateau except for you.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
false.

baseless assertion.

everyone here understands the word plateau except for you.
My assertion wasn't baseless. It was based on the vast majority of elite 1st overall type players. The majority have plateaued (reached their prime) by their final elc season.

Care to explain what you think plateaued means?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Can you find me an image for "plateaud"

I couldn't bring myself to reading 30 pages after seeing that word. Probably better off for it too.
progre3.jpg

search

url

This is what plateauing means. It can be applied to learning curves (as in this particular chart), sports, excercise gains, etc. It's suggesting maybe Matthews grew during his first 2 seasons and plateaued during the 3rd (which is VERY common for players like Matthews). Zeke confuses the word with peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad