Has Erik Cole already retired?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
That article with MA Godin was great and well written. A well placed corn in a sea on poo that is the Montreal Media.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That article with MA Godin was great and well written. A well placed corn in a sea on poo that is the Montreal Media.

I always look forward to new articles from the montreal media, not so I can read them but so I can get a 'whiskey vs. the writer' post. Hard to start the day without one.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
No but panicking, being reactionary to every single shift and changes courses is a great way to right the ship. (<- that was sarcasm)

Nothing gets fixed in a week. Nothing gets broken in a week.

No one says that you should not evaluate and plan, just don't be all "knee jerk reaction" every time something happens.

Agreed. Always been so impressed with the collective ADHD of this fan base.

Almost a 1/4 way through the season doesn't seem like a knee jerk reaction to me. DD and Cole's play has been below average and is hurting this team. I don't have all the answers, but simply assuming they will pick it up is not the right answer.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
The perspective of so many on these boards has about the same time frame as a petulant 7 year old. It's like a 500 mile car trip when one hears every 15 minutes after the first hour of driving: "Dad. When are we going to get there"? This season is just starting its FOURTH WEEK and at least half of those who post here want to either bench Cole or send DD to Hamilton:laugh:

Almost equally ridiculous is the almost universal praise for Rene Bourque. The guy has a few decent games after mailing it in last season and he's now higher on their totem poles than Erik Cole.

Sit back, chill, and lay off the energy drinks, kids. Water ultimately finds its mark and players like Cole, DD and Gionta will hit their individual strides. Probably sooner rather than later. The most that the real hockey people (the Canadien management) are going to do with the slow starters is to tweak their roles in fairly minor ways. They have this thing called "perspective". Look it up.

The whole team "mailed it in" with no coach. You lecture people about having patience and then rip on the guy for having a season where he only scored 18 goals instead of 27. Bourque has been the difference in a lot of our wins and has been a saving grace seeing as how Cole, Gionta and Pacioretty have been "mailing it in" as you would say.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
MAG wrote it in his article, but for those who don't read french:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/therrien-tinkers-with-lines-as-habs-embark-on-road-trip

After the loss to the Leafs, Cole sent a text message to his teammates on a group chat that he set up during the National Hockey League lockout. He wrote that all teams will face a difficult time. The Canadiens are in the midst of one right now and it’s up to them to get themselves out of it.

Cole said he also told his teammates that he plans on being a lot better and will be helping to be part of the solution.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Almost a 1/4 way through the season doesn't seem like a knee jerk reaction to me. DD and Cole's play has been below average and is hurting this team. I don't have all the answers, but simply assuming they will pick it up is not the right answer.

You are right, 11 games is the time to panic. ;)

Just as the parade was not to be planned after 3 consecutive wins, neither are the golf times to be booked.

While it is a compressed schedule, the same steady hand is needed. Huge, sweeping assumptions, and big changes are the way to spin this out of control. Keep your eye on the horizon, and make small adjustments. Have faith that the team's directors have a vision to BUILD to become a contender.

Just as the Flyers are not the worst team in the East after losing a few games, neither is Tampa Bay the best team either (even if they lost recently). Things will even up. The better teams will rise to the top of the rankings, and the non-contenders will sink to the bottom. There will be a few surprises, but the cream will rise.

The Habs were 15th in the division last season. Not 8th. If they make HUGE strides, they will make the playoffs, but to think they are a great team is fooling yourself.

Be happy when they play a solid 60 minutes and entertain you. They will not win the Cup this year, so just enjoy the ride.

WeberBombs

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I just don't understand how you can go from being the guy you can always count on to be that useless body on the ice every night.

Mind-boggling. He just doesn't care anymore...

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Very good job on MaxPac goal starting from the d-zone all the way till o-zone pass to Diaz.

Neither got a point but they did the play...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I was about to pull this thread up.

I hate singling out players but this game has been pathetic. No effort. He watched the goal being scored like a spectator.

When Pacioretty scored, Cole was already retreating looking for a line change.

Therrien needs to rip him a new one or bench him. At least White gives effort.

Sickening.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I think there are a few players like him this year......Pretty sure there wasnt going to be a season......Might take 20 games to get these guys going then look out.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I think there are a few players like him this year......Pretty sure there wasnt going to be a season......Might take 20 games to get these guys going then look out.

Yes, but to get going would require effort.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Perspective eh...

So we should just sit back and let everything take care of itself. This of course was a team that finished dead last in the Eastern Conference last season, but no big deal.

Of course, DD is an established NHL player who has scored more than 22 points once in his career. We can count on last year not being a fluke/career year. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, Cole at his age will repeat a career year that no one saw coming. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, Gionta at this age will buck a trend of declining play. Nothing to worry about.

Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride folks! Don't bother trying to fix or improve the team. It will take care of itself.

I agree......

Those three are truly bringing down this team right now...That being said I think Cole and Gionta can bring it when needed and Cole has ALWAYS started slow. Desharanais is the one that truly concerns me most because he just can't play in these type of games. No room no Desharnais.

If he had more speed maybe he could be converted to the wing.

I too think Cole would be better suited to play with Eller as his Centre.
I would really think about sitting Desharnais for a game or two not because he's playing poorly but to give him a break and a different perspective of the game.

Also give Eller a real shot as a top two Centre between Cole and Patches.
I really like Eller and think he can be a very good number two C.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Ok. My patience has run out. He's not skating. He's not finishing his checks. He's constantly overextending himself to make half assed attempts to get the puck. Only time he's doing anything is when he's skating after the puck when it's going to the offensive area, but that's just because he was already far ahead of everyone.

Either he has an injury that nobody but the team knows about. Either he's really affected by his drought. Or he has called it quits and avoiding injuries.

Either way, scratch the guy for a game or two. Have the coaches talk to him, see what's wrong. Help him out, let him relax a little while focusing on him during practices.

This is just ridiculous.

Edit: ok, sure he's skating from time to time. Still doesn't change how incredibly mediocre he's been.

Last edited:

WeberBombs

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
When Pacioretty scored, Cole was already retreating looking for a line change.

Exactly. Not sure why people say he hustled on that play. He dumped the puck in the Rangers zone and lost his battle in the corner. He got lucky that we kept it in and then he headed back to the bench for a change.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
There will be so, so, so much crow to be eaten in a few weeks here.

Book it.

Hope you are right. Meanwhile, he is floating and letting his teammates pick up for his mistakes and lack of effort.

We are fans. We will cheer him once again if he turns it around. Right now, he is a disgrace to the team who is working their ***** off.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
From http://regardepasca.com/now-retired-erik-cole/

cole_card.jpg

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
There will be so, so, so much crow to be eaten in a few weeks here.

Book it.

So we should be happy if Cole plays well for basically half a season this year? Yes, he usually has slow starts, but we're now over a month into this season.

1/3 of the season is in the books. What are you seeing in his play that suggests it will magically turn around?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad