Has Erik Cole already retired?

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
This thread is so full of fail it's not even funny. How about an ounce of common sense?

Pretty much. History says Cole is a notoriously slow starter, no reason to doubt history right now. He always comes around.

Hope you are right. Meanwhile, he is floating and letting his teammates pick up for his mistakes and lack of effort.

We are fans. We will cheer him once again if he turns it around. Right now, he is a disgrace to the team who is working their ***** off.

I really wouldn't say he's floating, just that he's pressing to get an edge. Sort of reminds me of what Gomez did 2 years ago when his downhill slide started.

I know we're fans - it's just disappointing to see so many people boldly claim they're done with him/he's done, etc...some patience would be nice. We're winning without him making a big impact, just imagine what'll happen if he comes together as history suggests he will? :amazed:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Pretty much. History says Cole is a notoriously slow starter, no reason to doubt history right now. He always comes around.

I really wouldn't say he's floating, just that he's pressing to get an edge. Sort of reminds me of what Gomez did 2 years ago when his downhill slide started.

I know we're fans - it's just disappointing to see so many people boldly claim they're done with him/he's done, etc...some patience would be nice. We're winning without him making a big impact, just imagine what'll happen if he comes together as history suggests he will? :amazed:

Hope you are correct.:nod:

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
So we should be happy if Cole plays well for basically half a season this year? Yes, he usually has slow starts, but we're now over a month into this season.

1/3 of the season is in the books. What are you seeing in his play that suggests it will magically turn around?

1/3 of a shortened season, let's be a little fair here, not make it look worse than it already is. ;)

What am I seeing? I'm not going to lie to you - I'm not seeing a whole lot of one of my favourite players right now, let alone much of what he did last season. There's some flashes here and there but nothing really.

I hope he steps it up. We need him to.

And I'm not saying you should be happy. Nobody should be. I'm pretty sure he isn't.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
wonder if he can be healthy scratch when gallagher comes back

I was just about to post something like this.

It's gonna suck for someone, probably Eller/White once Gally is ready to come back because I really doubt Therrien would bench Cole. But IMO, it is Cole who should be the one sitting based on effort and play.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You HAVE to sit Armstrong when Gallagher comes back. You just have. I mean, geez, White takes one of the most important faceoff in the game, a team that sucks in faceoffs....how the heck do you sit him?

For me, Armstrong is a total waste of spot and a GREAT candidate for #13.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You HAVE to sit Armstrong when Gallagher comes back. You just have. I mean, geez, White takes one of the most important faceoff in the game, a team that sucks in faceoffs....how the heck do you sit him?

For me, Armstrong is a total waste of spot and a GREAT candidate for #13.

Okay, say MT sits Armstrong. Who plays on the 4th line? Eller doesn't deserve to go down there. Prust doesn't deserve to go down there.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Okay, say MT sits Armstrong. Who plays on the 4th line? Eller doesn't deserve to go down there. Prust doesn't deserve to go down there.

Do they deserve to play? If I'm them, I'd be satisfied to be playing. Besides, they will get each their time on the PK and some time on the PP. The guy I would most definately REMOVE from the PP is Gionta. So play 1 of the 2 on the 4th, but give them time elsewhere.

Oct 22, 2012
If our bottom 6 is Eller, Galchenyuk, Prust, Gallagher, White, and Moen, I have no problem with how ice time is distributed around those guys. Some will get more than others with PP and PK time as mentioned, but that is solid depth.

Are some more deserving of a promotion than others? Absolutely. I'm sure mickey T will make the adjustments like most games. It seems our 2nd and 3rd lines are hovering around similar ice times.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The 1st thing that Therrien should do is remove Cole from the pp cause it's not working lately with him on it. Give the ice time to Galchenyuk with DD and Pacioretty

And as far as he has always been a slow starter its now a 1/3 of the season and the problem is that he has been negative about this since the NHLPA and the NHL reached an agreement!

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves trying to look at the lineup with Gallagher and how Cole would be affected. As soon as Gally's declared ''healthy'', he should spend another week on the sidelines to be safe.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
What really frustrates me about Cole's play is if he's not going to contribute offensively he can't be as weak as he was on that Rangers goal last night.. Just watched them pass, take a shot, rebound and score.. Zero effort the entire time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What really frustrates me about Cole's play is if he's not going to contribute offensively he can't be as weak as he was on that Rangers goal last night.. Just watched them pass, take a shot, rebound and score.. Zero effort the entire time.
Couldn't believe my eyes as that goal got scored...Cole surely will hear about it from MT...:shakehead

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
On the NYR goal last night, WTF was Cole doing?? Mark the guy that's in front of you instead of just watching him geez!!!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
At least he's been trying recently.

I dunno, the vibe I get from him is that he's just out of shape. The lockout has not been kind to him. He gets these spurts of vintage Cole, but he spends stretches just gliding and he doesn't have the same edge he had the last couple of years.

He's a notorious slow starter and I feel like he let his training slip a little during the lockout when he was enjoying spending time with the family. Can't say I've seen enough to conclude its anything more serious than that.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I dunno, the vibe I get from him is that he's just out of shape. The lockout has not been kind to him. He gets these spurts of vintage Cole, but he spends stretches just gliding and he doesn't have the same edge he had the last couple of years.

He's a notorious slow starter and I feel like he let his training slip a little during the lockout when he was enjoying spending time with the family. Can't say I've seen enough to conclude its anything more serious than that.

Definitly look out of shape but what i'm saying is that lately he's been trying to create things offensively. There was a few sifts last night with Max and DD where they were playing pretty well.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
So many fails, so many non-sense in this thread, it's unreal how bipolar we are. Not only that, I just can't understand how someone can have this much rage against a person who's supposed to be playing a game, it's a freaking game!

Cole could become the most useless hockey player ever, but c'mon, a bit of respect here! Hopefully he'll pick it up and play good again.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It's not necessarily letting his training slip, it's also starting the season with no preseason. Budaj is a perfect example, he struggled(and got little help) the first 2 starts then finds his groove. Cole is a slow starter to begin with then you take away preseason, makes it even worse. The guys doing well for us right now are mostly guys that have played in Europe, AHL or Junior.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
The thing that concerns me the most about Cole, is that I'm not seeing
the speed that used to make him effective. Everything else could change
from one game to the next.How quickly a player ages, and at what age, are
extremely individual. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's
looking possible.
As to him being a slow starter. I don't think that is true. It happened
the first year in Montreal, but one time isn't a trend.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The thing that concerns me the most about Cole, is that I'm not seeing
the speed that used to make him effective. Everything else could change
from one game to the next.How quickly a player ages, and at what age, are
extremely individual. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but it's
looking possible.
As to him being a slow starter. I don't think that is true. It happened
the first year in Montreal, but one time isn't a trend.

It is a trend with him, they showed a chart of the last 5 years in a recent game.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

That is an easy answer.

Does Moen or White need someone watching their backs?

Or do the "future of the franchise players" need someone watching their backs?

Not difficult at all when you couch it in reality.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

One day, he'll stop SLOW STARTING and start SLOW OVERALL. Again, it might absolutely mean nothing, but a guy who thinks to retire cannot have the same desire than the ones not envisioning it. Cole talked with his heart when he said that. When he tried to say that after meeting the guys and playing under Therrien that he didn't think about that anymore, that was more recuperating than anything else. A player like Cole who played hard all of his life with the injuries he had, it has to mean that he will probably retire earlier than others. And the day will happen when on any given year....the slow start will equal to a slow overall season.

LaTenderness*

One day, he'll stop SLOW STARTING and start SLOW OVERALL. Again, it might absolutely mean nothing, but a guy who thinks to retire cannot have the same desire than the ones not envisioning it. Cole talked with his heart when he said that. When he tried to say that after meeting the guys and playing under Therrien that he didn't think about that anymore, that was more recuperating than anything else. A player like Cole who played hard all of his life with the injuries he had, it has to mean that he will probably retire earlier than others. And the day will happen when on any given year....the slow start will equal to a slow overall season.

I agree the guys attitude sucks almost as bad as his play. He looks like a real piece of **** out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->