2. retire as he barked
3. get traded

end of story, time is up cole

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Keep playing like this and if MB can't trade him, then he becomes a candidate for a compliance buyout.

Analyzer*

He threw a nice hit on Kostka and other than that he was completely useless.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
cole needs to be sat down, and asked what does he want

1. to play of this team
2. retire as he barked
3. get traded

end of story, time is up cole

I really believe that once someone starts talking about retirement, they have already "checked out"
Cole is playing like he does not care. He needs to elevate his game for the upcoming games in Florida. It will be interesting to see.

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
I really believe that once someone starts talking about retirement, they have already "checked out"
Cole is playing like he does not care. He needs to elevate his game for the upcoming games in Florida. It will be interesting to see.

i agree.

he seemed to be relishing the thought of retirement. and if you're investing yourself in that, instead of the present, he's to whatever extent, not fully committed. it shows.

he's not driving hard to the net with the consistency that we've seen. he didn't play during the lockout, so game shape is a factor. but more than that, i think mentally he doesn't have that constant fire and consistency.

shortened season, he doesn't have much time but has to regain that edge and be more professional. i look forward to seeing what he brings in the next few games.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
2011-2012: In his first 15 games Cole scored 3 goals. Finished with 35 goals.
2010-2011: In his first 13 games Cole scored 3 goals. Finished with 26 goals.
2009-2010: In his first 17 games Cole scored 3 goals. Scored 8 goals in next 23 games injury ended season.
2008-2009: In his first 18 games Cole scored 3 goals. Finished with 18 goals.
2007-2008: In his first 21 games Cole scored 4 goals. Finished with 22 goals.
2006-2007: In his fist 11 games Cole scored 1 goal. Finished with 29 goals.
2005-2006: In his first 11 games Cole scored 4 goals. Finished with 30 goals.

Last edited:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
So frustrated with this guy.

The ONLY thing that is giving me hope is last year and how it played out. From zero to hero all of a sudden and until the end.

edit: Thanks for the stats Mats86, just saw that. Guess it wasn't only last year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
2011-2012: In his first 15 games Cole scored 3 goals. Finished with 35 goals.
2010-2011: In his first 13 games Cole scored 3 goals. Finished with 26 goals.
2009-2010: In his first 17 games Cole scored 3 goals. Scored 8 goals in next 23 games injury ended season.
2008-2009: In his first 18 games Cole scored 3 goals. Finished with 18 goals.
2007-2008: In his first 21 games Cole scored 4 goals. Finished with 22 goals.
2006-2007: In his fist 11 games Cole scored 1 goal. Finished with 29 goals.
2005-2006: In his first 11 games Cole scored 4 goals. Finished with 30 goals.
Nice work, this gives us some hope...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Nice work, this gives us some hope...

Which is why it was so unfortunate (read: stupid) for him to go out and make the retirement comment. People would have much rather attribute his ****** play to another slow start, but when you make comments like that... the rabid fans that have waited so long for hockey and put up with a ton of crap will come at you pretty hard.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Didn't like the signing. Was pleasantly surprised by him last year and he showed real heart. I felt like we had a shot (assuming he'd waive the NTC) at selling high with him but that didn't happen and now I feel like we may have missed the window of opportunity for trading him.

I hope we don't make the same mistake with Bourque.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Last year, Erik Cole was one of the feel good stories of our abysmal season. People said they didn't like the signing and then he became a 35 goal scorer.

Right now, it's so hard to believe the same thing will repeat itself because he just looks so damn awful out there, it seems impossible. But it has obviously happened before. Really hard to say what will happen. He could end up being our top scorer. It's that weird.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If RDS shows those three highlights of Cole I am going to scream.

There is no doubt that he is not playing like he did at the peak of his season last year, but the way they are piling on and repeating the same message is just pathetic.

It has brain washed a lot of people in thinking Cole is done.

These are the same bi-polar people that thought that Halak was a bona fide #1 (even if he cannot displace Brian Elliot), that Latendresse should be on the first line (look at him now), etc etc.

Stop over reacting like a foolish Michel Bergeron-type. Look down the road. If Cole sucks ALL season, then THAT is proof that you need to do something.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
This is not a matter of if Cole will get going, but when. I have no doubt he will start producing again in the coming games. This is the kind of player that will work his way up the lineup, not just roll over and die.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I'm not panicking, I'm sure Cole will be fine...if he plays with Eller as his centre.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If RDS shows those three highlights of Cole I am going to scream.

There is no doubt that he is not playing like he did at the peak of his season last year, but the way they are piling on and repeating the same message is just pathetic.

It has brain washed a lot of people in thinking Cole is done.

These are the same bi-polar people that thought that Halak was a bona fide #1 (even if he cannot displace Brian Elliot), that Latendresse should be on the first line (look at him now), etc etc.

Stop over reacting like a foolish Michel Bergeron-type. Look down the road. If Cole sucks ALL season, then THAT is proof that you need to do something.

The perspective of so many on these boards has about the same time frame as a petulant 7 year old. It's like a 500 mile car trip when one hears every 15 minutes after the first hour of driving: "Dad. When are we going to get there"? This season is just starting its FOURTH WEEK and at least half of those who post here want to either bench Cole or send DD to Hamilton:laugh:

Almost equally ridiculous is the almost universal praise for Rene Bourque. The guy has a few decent games after mailing it in last season and he's now higher on their totem poles than Erik Cole.

Sit back, chill, and lay off the energy drinks, kids. Water ultimately finds its mark and players like Cole, DD and Gionta will hit their individual strides. Probably sooner rather than later. The most that the real hockey people (the Canadien management) are going to do with the slow starters is to tweak their roles in fairly minor ways. They have this thing called "perspective". Look it up.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The perspective of so many on these boards has about the same time frame as a petulant 7 year old. It's like a 500 mile car trip when one hears every 15 minutes after the first hour of driving: "Dad. When are we going to get there"? This season is just starting its FOURTH WEEK and at least half of those who post here want to either bench Cole or send DD to Hamilton:laugh:

Almost equally ridiculous is the almost universal praise for Rene Bourque. The guy has a few decent games after mailing it in last season and he's now higher on their totem poles than Erik Cole.

Sit back, chill, and lay off the energy drinks, kids. Water ultimately finds its mark and players like Cole, DD and Gionta will hit their individual strides. Probably sooner rather than later. The most that the real hockey people (the Canadien management) are going to do with the slow starters is to tweak their roles in fairly minor ways. They have this thing called "perspective". Look it up.

Perspective eh...

So we should just sit back and let everything take care of itself. This of course was a team that finished dead last in the Eastern Conference last season, but no big deal.

Of course, DD is an established NHL player who has scored more than 22 points once in his career. We can count on last year not being a fluke/career year. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, Cole at his age will repeat a career year that no one saw coming. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, Gionta at this age will buck a trend of declining play. Nothing to worry about.

Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride folks! Don't bother trying to fix or improve the team. It will take care of itself.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Perspective eh...

So we should just sit back and let everything take care of itself. This of course was a team that finished dead last in the Eastern Conference last season, but no big deal.

Of course, DD is an established NHL player who has scored more than 22 points once in his career. We can count on last year not being a fluke/career year. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, Cole at his age will repeat a career year that no one saw coming. Nothing to worry about.

Of course, Gionta at this age will buck a trend of declining play. Nothing to worry about.

Just sit back relax and enjoy the ride folks! Don't bother trying to fix or improve the team. It will take care of itself.

No but panicking, being reactionary to every single shift and changes courses is a great way to right the ship. (<- that was sarcasm)

Nothing gets fixed in a week. Nothing gets broken in a week.

No one says that you should not evaluate and plan, just don't be all "knee jerk reaction" every time something happens.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Agreed. Always been so impressed with the collective ADHD of this fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad