Has Bergevin made us a better team so far this summer? Part 3

Will Bergevin fill a need with a major acquisition before the start of the 2019-2020 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly I want superstar talent and Ive had enough with the middle !

I can respect that cause we are all Habs fans and we want a contender. However, I think our mix of prospects, young NHL players, and vets are a decent situation. How will it turn out? It's anybodies guess but rewind 12 months ago... Most thought we would finish in the bottom 5 or 10. If we can continue the trend and track we are on lately, It's not a bad situation but yes, it does lack superstar talent.

More work to do yet but we do have a monitoring period we are going to go through with the youth we have (like it or not... reality of where we stand today).

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I can’t believe we’re headed into the season with that D corps, no additions to help the PP and the team’s 2nd ranking PPG producer last season sold for picks.

You are wrong Runner..... he has more time... it will all be fixed with more time.

Reactions: Miller Time

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
The lineup and prospect pool MB has assembled is much more better than anything Gainey and Gauthier did (except KPK for one single season, maybe)

Reactions: sampollock

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I feel like I'm just repeating myself over and over again lol

The reason I believe the Habs are in reset mode is because of the moves Bergevin has done, which back up what he said in February of 2018...

The Shaw trade is a perfect example of that.

Now that does NOT mean that I think this reset will be successful or couldn't have been done more aggressively.

So I can't control who the coach decides to put on the ice.

Hopefully that clears things up, but it won't...

Why the need for a parting shot? Our discussion is over, no need to be like that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Exactly! Taking those measures would have accelerated things for sure, we are not in a position to reset, we have three major holes on the roster and how exactly do you reset when you are lacking a star first-line centre and a big name number one left D? You simply don't do it.

MB still mulling it over...

Reactions: OldCraig71

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You are wrong Runner..... he has more time... it will all be fixed with more time.

Times up! If they don't start strong, time to move out the staff.. Late to the party,but with all these pros assessing the talent and missing it,bring in new blood.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
bottom line is, you are always judged on one's job and performance ,

so rating MB C-, because missing the playoffs, with the best goalie in the world, and having a dismal pp, give him that grade, this year no improvements to change any of that, yet.....camp is not started, but.......
3 years of cap money, and a Alzner in the AHL shows that.....

If any of you were his boss, and he worked for you, well you know

yet Molson seems committed to him,

How much of Molson's commitment is tempered by the egregious contract he signed him to early on?
I've always sensed there is some face saving going on. Most of that money has now been recouped in Cap Space savings. I felt MB's reign could possibly come to an end last year so obviously feel stronger about it this season. I don't think a decent prospect pool should or will be enough to save him this time around if we miss the show again. I also don't think MB can about face and claim rebuild now. He's in his corner looking out at the wet paint he's surrounded himself with.

Reactions: habsfan891

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
MB still mulling it over...
Yes, he stripped the roster that he inherited but decided that a reset was enough, why rebuild? It's not like we can't have Jordan Weal and Nick Cousins take us to the promised land! This is so ass-backward man, it's not going to work, look at the eastern conference, we might as well just use common sense and just rebuild.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So I can see that a few posters are taking subliminal shots at other posters for...well, making posts using the muti-quote.

So i'll drop this topic and let it be.

Shout out to those who participated in this discussion with respect.

A bientot!

Nothing Subliminal about it. :sarcasm:

Reactions: peate

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
How much of Molson's commitment is tempered by the egregious contract he signed him to early on?
I've always sensed there is some face saving going on. Most of that money has now been recouped in Cap Space savings. I felt MB's reign could possibly come to an end last year so obviously feel stronger about it this season. I don't think a decent prospect pool should or will be enough to save him this time around if we miss the show again. I also don't think MB can about face and claim rebuild now. He's in his corner looking out at the wet paint he's surrounded himself with.

He will be here until the end (2021-22 season). I will be literally shocked if he is fired before his contract is over.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m not really a bergevin fan to be honest, I jsut don’t agree with you guys. I never thought the 2012 team was good enough, it didn’t have the support needed and there wasn’t much that could be traded out to acquire more talent.

both those statements don't match up with what took place.
- 3 straight 100+ point seasons (suggests the core was pretty strong)
- top-10, even top-5 ranked prospect pool during that window (suggests there were lots of assets that were highly rated, and could have been used to target the 1 top-6 player and 1 top 4 player any reasonable observer could see was all that we lacked to have a contending team rather than a pretending team).

You can make up as much bs as you want, the hard facts don't go anywhere.

What you’re saying is that once the core was decidedly not good enough and it was moved, the team got worse as it became clear they were no longer a playoff team. Shocker. You can blame it solely on Bergevin or look at the fact that the team wasn’t deep enough to be able to move assets and maintain competitiveness.

except, that isn't how he did that.
Gainey, in 08 i believe, made the call that his core wasn't good enough... in one summer he made fundamental changes to the core to take a different direction. Agree with him or not, he was decisive and made moves in accordance with a pretty visible plan/intention.

MB has ended up dismantling the core he inherited more by accident than dedicated intention, culminating in last years ugly Pacioretty and Galch divorces.

Again, you can make up things to support an otherwise baseless narrative, but you can't change the facts of how MB got to today's roster.... or do you not recall his "our defense is better" summer lol

What is failing about my memory? The great core never sniffed a good playoff run. It sounds like you would have found a way to give our **** prospects and future first round picks away for average rentals that would not have won anything. You’d be perpetuating the **** cycle rather than realizing the team is ****ed and needs to start keeping its picks.

apparently a lot. your comments are quite divorced from what actually took place...
You seem to either not be fully reading the posts you are quoting, or jumbling lots of different discussions into one.

Let me clarify, again. Management needs to have a plan & follow it (with course corrections/adjustments to be made along the way). MB failed to do that through his 8th season as a GM, that kind of leadership is outside of this tool box.

You are wrong to insinuate "what i would do" beyond what i've told you, which is to pick a path and commit to it. go all-in to try and win asap around the vet core you have, or identify that you lack the necessary pieces for a successful run, and in that case focus on acquiring them in a rebuild. A rebuild can take several seasons (so-called "5-year plans", see the Bolts), or it can be a pretty quick process (see the Bruins)... in-between those two clear paths, you've got all the weaker GM's who lack the vision or confidence to chart a path and execute on it... MB falls near the bottom of that group.

it doesn't help your argument at all to make hyberbolic accusations about what i would have done. But i can tell you I certainly wouldn't have let a prospect like Tinordi end up in John Scott... or Scherbak and DLR into waiver fodder.

MB himself make two decent trades with prospect/picks from that first 1/2 of his tenure, getting Vanek for Colberg (didn't work out) and Petry for a 2nd (worked out fantastic)... both were good trades (even if Vanek/Therrien not meshing was kind of obvious)... shame he didn't have the sense or ability to better manage that top-10 prospect pool and use those assets to improve the great core he inherited, instead of letting his poorly chosen coaches muck up the development to the point that only 2 of them came close to their mid-level potential (Galch/Lehk) and toxifying the relationship with the core to the point of 2 of the 3 best assets he acquired were moved while still in their prime and in contentious/confrontational circumstances he fully created.

Bad manager is a bad manager. No amount of revisionist history can change what he did and the outcomes he created.

Furthermore, no one thought the team would be middle of the pack last year. Sorry. You guys were on another Bergevin ether binge and though Domi would have 4 goals and the team would suck to high heaven. It didn't.

Well, as I said, I did. And i recall several other posters saying similar things... perhaps you chose not to actually read the things you didn't agree with?

I didn't think it was likely that Domi would excel as he did, nor that Tatar/Danault/Drouin/Armia et. et. would all have career years.
I didn't think, or bank on, us having league best injury luck
I didn't know how well Weber would handle coming back, he ended up roughly as i expected, maybe a bit more offensively productive...
I was wrong on JKO, didn't think he should stay with the big team.
I was right on Price, bet he would bounce back and show he's still a top-5 goalie

and on and on... i think we all make a series of bets/predictions, with varying degrees of accuracy.

But what was pretty clear to some, myself included, and well posted... Was that the team we had was a stretch to make the playoffs. Most things would need to go right (and they did), for the team to have a chance at sniffing the playoffs (which is what happened).
Had any serious injury affected Price or one of our few top-6/top-4, we'd have fallen off sooner (Weber being out until X-kmas was a known factor).
Had the bulk of our top-9 forwards not had PB years, we'd have fallen off sooner.
Had young players like JKO, Mete, Kulak not exceeded expectations, we'd have fallen off sooner.

So yeah, the team was what many thought it was... One that needed a lot of luck to just-miss the playoffs...

Precisely where we sit again this year.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

It would seem implausible, or impossible, that a pro sports franchise would keep a GM for a 9th season, after missing the PO's in 4 of the last 5 years...

but then again, can you imagine a Yankees/Steelers/Lakers/Barcelona et. manager presiding over a 4-year stretch with 3 missed playoffs and 2 of the worst seasons in franchise history, and keep their job?

this is Molson we are talking about... short of a complete implosion like during the Gauthier 2011-12 season, we'll likely be close enough to PO contention that he doesn't get canned during the year, and if he survives until April, even if we've just missed the PO's again, I can see Molson keeping his pal in place... using the proximity of the home draft as the internal justification while spouting something about how great our prospect pool is and trusting MB & Co. to build it into a winner over time.

Reactions: OldCraig71

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Shaw's production has not been replaced. The move seemed to announce that a major acquisition was coming and it turned out it was an all or nothing OS, with MB being out of any other option.

To expect any of the prospects to step up and make up for Shaw is a tall order. I think anything one of them provides, is a bonus. I'd like to see some firepower added to the PP, which would at least address a major concern.

You forget Nick Cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad