Has Bergevin made us a better team so far this summer? Part 3

Will Bergevin fill a need with a major acquisition before the start of the 2019-2020 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
How much space am I renting up there?

You're obsessed with me lol
you actually have a shitload of posts in here, impossible to enter thew thread without seeing lots of your posts.

looks like the one obsessed here is you, and it's all about defending the GM.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
you actually have a ****load of posts in here, impossible to enter thew thread without seeing lots of your posts.

When I reach 25K posts here I would kindly ask that someone take me out and show me life ;)

Reactions: habsfan891

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
"trying" to make the playoffs is something Bergeve SPOKE about...it's called setting a standard that you want your team to try to strive for.

Would you have preferred if he said that he wanted his team to be the absolute worse that they can be? I don't get it, since when is speaking into existence wanting to make the playoffs as a bad thing?

I bet if you asked 30 other GM's before the season started what their goal was, I'd wager the majority of them would say that making the playoffs was there goal.

But If making the playoffs was the absolute for Bergevin, you would have seen him be way more active at the trade deadline, he would have packaged the many picks we had at the 2019 draft, along with some of our prospects and moved them for short term help to get in the playoffs.

But we didn't see that did we?

No, instead, we saw him make depth moves which didn't cost much in terms of picks, then in the offseason, he continued his "reset" by moving Andrew Shaw, which for now should pave the way for one of the younger prospects to potentially grab a spot.

This doesn't seem like someone who doesn't know what direction he's headed in.

Like i'm not sure what the disconnect here is.

The GM told every Habs fans that he wants to make the team younger and faster...

So why are you perplexed when he trades Andrew Shaw???

Like he literally told you what he's trying to do lol
didnt you just mention "making the PO" ??

trading Shaw for picks sure helps that... :laugh::laugh:
(cue the inevitable "it's possible to trade those picks later on for help" or something)

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I can’t believe we’re headed into the season with that D corps, no additions to help the PP and the team’s 2nd ranking PPG producer last season sold for picks.

So can I ask who you don't like on the D. My only concern is Mete,the others seem solid enough. Habs have depth on both sides if 1 or 2 don't pan out. Still some trades can be made after a quick assessment as well. The PP sucked,till the end,so maybe that got resolved,but too late to make the PO's. Shaw being shipped out was a surprise,but got something for him now than later nothing possibly,all speculation as usual of course. Will infinity have a much better 4th line and so many other opportunities for some. Gonna a be a lot of auditioning once again.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
The future roster looks great at least

Domi-KK-Gallagher
Caulfield-Poehling-Suzuki
Drouin-Danault-Yolo
Teasdale-Oloffson-McCarron

Romanov-Brook
Mete-Weber
Struble/Harris/Norlinder-Juulsen/Fleury

Primeau

And that’s not counting future picks and returns for Petry, Tatar, and Byron...

That roster doesn’t look great to me at all - I seriously look at that list and wonder how it could have possibly taken so long to assemble so much mediocrity.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Subquestion: when was the last time you had confidence in Bergevins management and the direction he was moving the team in?

For me the honest answer would be the Vanek acquisition and that didn’t even end up all that well because of usage imo

Reactions: Rapala

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think even Bergevin would be hesitant to say so. Basically what he said was he is expecting internal growth.

I think that:

Drouin (I'd hope)
KK
Lehkonen
Mete

Are all likely to have a better season than last. Guys like Danault, Domi, Tatar and Gallagher could also improve, but they probably also have a higher chance of regressing than the first group.

Then you add

Poehling?
Suzuki?
Juulsen
Chiarot

Then you lose Shaw's 50 points, and have to expect Price/Weber to decline slightly. (Although this is offset somewhat by the fact Weber will actually be able to train this summer and attend camp, which he did not last year)

Going from Niemi to Kinkaid sounds good, but Niemi wasn't as bad early on, and I have very little faith in Kinkaid. I think this is what will hurt the team more than any other position.

In total I would bet our offense improves marginally from last year, mostly from KK, but Drouin could also bring some desperately needed offense to our LW position if he can just be more of a team player.

I would also think our D improves, I've explained why I think Weber will be fine this year, and Mete was looking so good at the end of the year that he's my #1 pick for improvement this year. I was always a big Juulsen fan before he went down, and not playing Schlemko/Benn/Alzner etc will be nice.

Goaltending, it will only get harder for Price to play such a packed schedule as he gets older. Taking into account the time he lost to injury last year, he was easily the most used goalie in the league. When you've got a goalie that good, play into that strength and get him a decent back up!

In terms of team points, the east looks even tougher this year and I think we'll be hard pressed to beat out FL, NYI, BUF, PIT, CAR for those wildcard spots.

I'll predict 98 points and WC2 spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So can I ask who you don't like on the D. My only concern is Mete,the others seem solid enough. Habs have depth on both sides if 1 or 2 don't pan out. Still some trades can be made after a quick assessment as well. The PP sucked,till the end,so maybe that got resolved,but too late to make the PO's. Shaw being shipped out was a surprise,but got something for him now than later nothing possibly,all speculation as usual of course. Will infinity have a much better 4th line and so many other opportunities for some. Gonna a be a lot of auditioning once again.

I’d just like to see Mete brought down a notch, to 2nd pairing. We need a legit first pairing LD.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
you actually have a ****load of posts in here, impossible to enter thew thread without seeing lots of your posts.

Here you go again, not agreeing with some of you even just a little..... automaticaly means

''MB defenders''

Probably why there is less and less posters challenging your opinon in here, just a bunch of guy's conforting themself in their opinions......sad actually

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Third and forth lines are less the inspiring. First and second are little be less less than inspiring but still not great.

So that’s what they’re going to tell their season tix holders.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I’d just like to see Mete brought down a notch, to 2nd pairing. We need a legit first pairing LD.

For the offensive aspect of things? On D he was fine,but he has to contribute more for sure. Am skeptical that he should be on first pairing as well.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Subquestion: when was the last time you had confidence in Bergevins management and the direction he was moving the team in?

For me the honest answer would be the Vanek acquisition and that didn’t even end up all that well because of usage imo

For me, the confidence started eroding with the Briere-Murray-Parros 2013 summer additions... It was so tone deaf to what the team actually needed, and marked 2-full offseasons (and one trade deadline) where he had cap space and prospect depth to aggressively go after what the team needed (a top-6 player with size and a top-4 dman) and failed to do so.

by the time summer 2014 rolled around, it was pretty clear that Lefebvre/Therrien were not good coaching decisions, and again here he failed to act proactively.

all downhill from there... predictably so

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
For me, the confidence started eroding with the Briere-Murray-Parros 2013 summer additions... It was so tone deaf to what the team actually needed, and marked 2-full offseasons (and one trade deadline) where he had cap space and prospect depth to aggressively go after what the team needed (a top-6 player with size and a top-4 dman) and failed to do so.

by the time summer 2014 rolled around, it was pretty clear that Lefebvre/Therrien were not good coaching decisions, and again here he failed to act proactively.

all downhill from there... predictably so

For me it was a few months into his tenure. Bergevin was more focused on hiring his friends than on hiring the best people, and he decided to bridge Subban. He also seemed to think that Shane Doan was some perfect option for the team, when Jagr and Semin were available.

I remember a quote from a Habs staff member ... It was too early for them to decide if they wanted Subban around long-term, as they did not yet know how good Beaulieu and Tinordi would become.

LOL.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
For me it was a few months into his tenure. Bergevin was more focused on hiring his friends than on hiring the best people, and he decided to bridge Subban. He also seemed to think that Shane Doan was some perfect option for the team, when Jagr and Semin were available.

I remember a quote from a Habs staff member ... It was too early for them to decide if they wanted Subban around long-term, as they did not yet know how good Beaulieu and Tinordi would become.

LOL.

and yet, some posters still try to argue that we didn't have any quality prospects to work with when he took over :help:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Here you go again, not agreeing with some of you even just a little..... automaticaly means

''MB defenders''

Probably why there is less and less posters challenging your opinon in here, just a bunch of guy's conforting themself in their opinions......sad actually
huh... not really no :laugh::laugh:

it's pretty obvious to anyone who followed the thread a little the guy is disagreeing with pretty much everyone who doesnt like MB or think MB doesnt have a plan (or whatever looks negative in regards to MB)...

it's obvious enough, it can be considered a fact, not a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad