Has Bergevin made us a better team so far this summer? Part 3

Will Bergevin fill a need with a major acquisition before the start of the 2019-2020 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
You're confusing terms and ideas.

What I'm writing is simply "history": The Drouin trade at the time was largely appreciated as it was perceived to be one that could help the team in the short term.

Though, there were also some who thought that Sergachev was going to bust due to low hockey IQ, and were happy for the Habs to get anything prior to his value going to zero.

You are free to look up forum discussions from that period.
I don't get the Drouin move as an obsession with angry fans over here because on the other hand Sergachev have low hockey IQ. It's not like a "McDonagh #2".
It's not a winning trade like Kovalev-Balej either. But the winner of this trade is by a small margin and I'm not sure who won it honestly, so why bother? JD has become a third line winger, bahhh !!

Reactions: DAChampion

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't get the Drouin move as an obsession with angry fans over here because on the other hand Sergachev have low hockey IQ. It's not like a "McDonagh #2".
It's not a winning trade like Kovalev-Balej either. But the winner of this trade is by a small margin and I'm not sure who won it honestly, so why bother? JD has become a third line winger, bahhh !!
why do you assume people against the move are angry ???

do YOU get angry every time you disagree with something ??

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'll repeat my question. If MB had re-signed Rads and Markov, would that improve the Drouin-Sergachev trade? Because basically, that's what you're saying. Those two would have made the trade better. Or were we still giving up a dollar's worth of talent and getting 45 cents in return?

I'll tell you what's going on with this new wrinkle in the Drouin trade. Many posters on this forum were ecstatic with the trade and said as much when it went down. Those very same posters today want to rip into MB and use the Drouin trade as fodder. When it's pointed out to them it's hypocritical to do so they come up with this lame new angle.

I'm saying there's enough in MB's tenure to fire him without those posters pretending they knew Drouin wouldn't work out here because he didn't sign Rads and Markov. A year later MB got Domi, Tatar, KK and Armia, did that make JD a better hockey player? Or was he still the same slug?

If you go all in and sign Markov and Radulov and try to improve the team at the deadline while it doesn't make the trade better at least it does add sense to the trade being made. Sergachev was too young for an all in. We don't know his value back then. Maybe Drouin really was the best offer. But in a scenario where you don't try to win and don't go all in the trade doesn't make any sense whatsoever. MB could be lucky and it could end up being a good trade. The jury is still out. Drouin could develop into Martin St Louis 2.0 and Sergachev could never improve past his first season. But it never will change the fact that you don't trade a blue chip prospect dman playing a position of need for a soft and defensively weak offensive minded young winger who's 3 years older and not developing as well as expected so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad