Post-Game Talk: Happy 85th b'day, Auntie Anne! Jets beat Ducks 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I like the way this team bonds. Recognizes its unsung heroes. Dahlstrom got the helmet after sitting for weeks, playing one game, that was a bit of struggle, but still made a play or two. But I think he was appreciated. Shaw may have played his last game as a regular, as Apples comes back. Played well, not outstanding, but got appreciation from the team. That's a good gesture. I honestly don't think the team has ever been this tight, and that's winning them a lot of games.

After hearing Maurice before the game it's hard to see Shaw sitting.
He LOOOOOOOOVES Shaw.
I didn't hear the post game but I imagine that he has a full blown man crush now.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I wouldn't call this one of Laine's better games but he certainly wasn't bad either and man did he set up some beauty passes.

The improved 4th line play was nice.
It was hard to make much of what Shore was doing (in person).
But for me it was more about Shaw and Luoto actually moving the puck away from their own goalies end of the ice.

It seemed to me that Perreault was staying out late almost every shift.
Of course one of those times led to our first goal but it was a bit strange to see him skipping changing even when he was right by the bench.
Oddly it didn't affect Laine's ice much (20+).
Scheif at 23'ish and Connor similar to Laine.
I would have thought that Connor would have had a bit more then Laine between his PK shifts and those couple of MP shifts that bled into #29's shifts.

Lowry's penalty is one of those moments where you're like - sure that's cross checking but why don't you call similar plays 1000's of other times in the season as penalties then.

Does any sport suffer from more variances in the way the game is called?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
connor-hellebuyck-2019-6378.jpg

Everyone in Winnipeg should be buying this man dinner tonight.
And this guy, who doesn't get enough credit in this city...

664365098.0.jpg

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Pionk is so elusive, so much of what he does reminds me of Enstrom. He’s really good at giving a little dummy fake and causing misdirection. He’s been remarkably poised and good with the puck.
Those critical of Poolman are largely just looking at the play with the puck on his stick, in his own end. He does have a few odd brain cramps in that regard but the entirety of his play deserves way more credit, especially under the circumstances. He’s positionally strong, hard along the wall and in front and is really getting a good sense of when to show up in the offensive zone. He just needs to execute his breakouts a little cleaner, that’s about it.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Scheifele doesn’t get enough credit? Seriously? Other than him getting some criticism for his defensive play of late, I don’t think you’d find many rational people who don’t consider him to be our best player.
Yes, seriously. Did you see me post a funny image or sarcastic emoji? Then I guess I must have been serious.

Maybe you talk to more rational people than I do. People have been whining and complaining about our best players when they have bad games, but I don't hear a lot when they have great games. It's like this forum identifies its whipping boys and it take forever for them to be redeemed. It's not just Scheifele, who could score a hattrick but somebody will complained about a missed defensive assignment (which was usually another player's assignment anyways), but it has been Wheeler, it has been Conner, poor Potato, Laine.

And by the way, Scheifele's defensive play has been much improved during the past month or so. Take a look at most of the so-called "elite" players who are far worse defensively.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yes, seriously. Did you see me post a funny image or sarcastic emoji? Then I guess I must have been serious.

Maybe you talk to more rational people than I do. People have been whining and complaining about our best players when they have bad games, but I don't hear a lot when they have great games. It's like this forum identifies its whipping boys and it take forever for them to be redeemed. It's not just Scheifele, who could score a hattrick but somebody will complained about a missed defensive assignment (which was usually another player's assignment anyways), but it has been Wheeler, it has been Conner, poor Potato, Laine.

And by the way, Scheifele's defensive play has been much improved during the past month or so. Take a look at most of the so-called "elite" players who are far worse defensively.
Oh, you're really serious? Lol, ok then. Scheifele is not this forums whipping boy, that's just a false narrative. A lot of things get discussed here, including missed assignments and such. If you want to make that into him being a forum whipping boy, that's on you but it strikes me as misplaced rage Scheifele is well appreciated around here, it's not even close.

And btw, Scheifele's defensive play hasn't improved all that much, by his standards. It's not hard to see that.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Oh, you're really serious? Lol, ok then. Scheifele is not this forums whipping boy, that's just a false narrative. A lot of things get discussed here, including missed assignments and such. If you want to make that into him being a forum whipping boy, that's on you but it strikes me as misplaced rage Scheifele is well appreciated around here, it's not even close.

And btw, Scheifele's defensive play hasn't improved all that much, by his standards. It's not hard to see that.
You're making it more than I intended. I didn't say he was THE whipping boy, I just said that he didn't get enough credit. And "rage"? Where did you get that? Do you purposely try to stir things up when there shouldn't be any issues? There's no rage. Personally, I'm glad to see him continue to do well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Winning is good.

All that testosterone is not only make Ehlers go bald, it's making his a little too brave. Glad Getzlaf didn't end his season.

Is it just me or did Poolman make some terrible passes up the middle?

Glad the good guys won, Helle is solid. All good in the end.

Its just you. PoolParty made some great passes up the middle.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You know , i think we have a pretty good team here boys and girls . I like the lines and i like the D pairings , i love the goaltending and the coaching is doing very well right now . Chevy's dumpster diving has also been fantastic , i really have nothing to complain about , for now . :naughty:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It feels so weird to have missed the last 3 weeks of games. Someone fill me in. What has transpired over the last few weeks? Are we happy with where we are? Does the team look good? I know I can just look at stats but want to get a good idea of how we have looked on the ice past couple of weeks.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Those critical of Poolman are largely just looking at the play with the puck on his stick, in his own end. He does have a few odd brain cramps in that regard but the entirety of his play deserves way more credit, especially under the circumstances. He’s positionally strong, hard along the wall and in front and is really getting a good sense of when to show up in the offensive zone. He just needs to execute his breakouts a little cleaner, that’s about it.

Critically, I think Poolman has filled in somewhat admirably for Myers. Not really in style, but in just in net-value. Other than Trouba, that was the one I was really worried about losing.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It feels so weird to have missed the last 3 weeks of games. Someone fill me in. What has transpired over the last few weeks? Are we happy with where we are? Does the team look good? I know I can just look at stats but want to get a good idea of how we have looked on the ice past couple of weeks.
I'd say they've looked, to my flawed eye, more decent than not recently.

They're still winning games in a fancy-statistically unsustainable manner...with the highest 5v5 PDO in the NHL over the last 10 games (1.066) - led by the highest SV% in the league (95.56%) and 3rd-highest SH% (11.01%) over that stretch. The Jets are -1 on special teams over that span as well (4 PPGF, 5 SHGA).

Reactions: ps241

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Critically, I think Poolman has filled in somewhat admirably for Myers. Not really in style, but in just in net-value. Other than Trouba, that was the one I was really worried about losing.
I find Poolman to be quite a mixed bag - one moment he's making a great play defensively or moving the puck smartly to start a breakout; the next he's making snow angels or awkwardly trying to get in a lane when maybe he should be taking the man. Overall I think he's not a negative - and he's getting some tough minutes. That's just by my memorable-event eye test though.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The team has kinda continued with the same thing they've done since November 1st, IMO.

The occasional total stinker, followed by a few really solid games. Recently they've had a few really bad 1st periods, followed by very solid 2nd and 3rd periods. Hellebuyck still looks like the best goalie in the league, but he hasn't been peppered to the same extent as earlier in the season.

PP looks pretty bad still, unfortunately. Wheeler is forcing the passes through the middle, and they're getting picked off. Kompon needs to do something, because our line-up shouldn't be among the last in PP% in the league. PK has looked pretty good after October, IMO.

1st line looks really good offensively, but they get stuck in the defensive zone sometimes, mostly when they're on the ice with the third pairing I've felt. Scheifele was demoted to 3rd line W against Dallas, and has really picked up the pace since.

2nd line looks good period. Unlike his first stint as C, Wheeler is not just staying afloat in the role, but is looking really solid between Ehlers and Roslovic. Roslovic plays a bit more like Ehlers, quick and slippery. Ehlers has simply been terrific.

3rd line looks good, as expected with a third line of Lowry, Copp and Perreault. Not great offensively, but they'll carry the play against first lines fairly often.

4th line still isn't trusted by Maurice. Hopefully that changes when Apples gets back, as this current trajectory won't do it in the long term.

44-3 has looked better, mostly because I think Morrissey has started playing better. Poolman isn't a first pairing D-man by any means, but apart from when he's throwing pizzas in his own zone, they're doing alright.

5-4 has looked really good, almost certainly just because of Pionk. He's really coming into his own, skating away from trouble and setting us up with speed with his outlet passes. He's using his stick more in the defensive zone too. He reminds me of a young Enström. Sbisa is realistically being dragged kicking and screaming by a great Pionk, but he doesn't screw up too badly.

2-88 simply isn't getting it done. Bitetto isn't an NHL D-man, and Beaulieu isn't good enough to carry Bitetto even on the third pairing.

Hellebuyck has a stranglehold on the Vezina. Not much else to say. He's giving us a chance to win every single game he plays. Brossoit isn't looking as bad as he did earlier in the year. He kept us in the recent Kings game until the team decided to start playing hockey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good entertaining game and a good win by the team.

Helle was good again.

JoMo and Pionk both had real strong nights.
Poolman was a mess with his breakout passes but was ok in both the offensive and defensive zone.
The bottom pairing got caved in again.

The top 6 was very good again tonight and generated a lot of good looks.

Lowry line had a real strong night and got a goal to boot.

Fourth line looked better with Shore at C.

Onto the Wings, can't take them lightly.

Not sure why, the effect of playing with Shore? But I thought Shaw looked better.

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Quick thoughts...

27-26-28 - Strong game all around. Ehlers and Roslovic were motoring, and Wheeler was driving the bus at both ends. What a great "2nd line".

81-55-29 - They did their thing on offense, but they were a terrible mess in their own zone. Casual, poor breakouts. 55 and 81 need to work as hard in the D zone as they do at the other end.

9-17-85 - What a great 3rd line. They just stifle the other team's top lines, and it's nice when they pot a goal. Copp continues an outstanding season and Lowry is back to beast mode. Perreault gives them some zip, and somehow figured how to stop taking dumb penalties.

46-61-38 - Best 4th line game in a long time. Shore plays a smart game and reacts faster than Gus. Shaw was better than he's been.

44-3 Still think Morrissey has more to give. Poolman isn't smooth, but he makes a mark in all zones with his speed, size and intensity, and he's got some puck skills. He's not a top pairing D, but he's had a good year.

5-4 My goodness Pionk had a terrific game. Fast, smart, aggressive. He's been a key player. Best Jets' D this year, and it's not very close. Sbisa was okay, but Pionk makes the game easy for his partner.

2-88 Yikes. They try hard but both really struggle with the puck.

Hellebuyck with another terrific game. He handled a lot of tough traffic, not to mention all the "timely saves".

I have to give Maurice some plaudits today. This Jets' team has been consistently ready to play hard, and the system is working well enough with what is probably the NHL's weakest D.

Also, Wheeler is quietly having a terrific season, despite much lower offensive production. He's stabilized the lineup with his outstanding play at 2C.

Great review.

I thought 88 had his worst game as a Jet, he was a disaster.

I agree Pionk was a total beast

I know I am a one man echo chamber but Andrew Copp may be my favorite Jet player to watch. He puts on a clinic every night for how to play a stifling two way game. How he reads the play and disrupts is a thing of beauty. Yes it would be nice if he had more finish to his game but then he would cost us a fortune. Instead we have a player who provides pretty amazing value.

I know this is going to be unpopular but Scheif needs to watch how Wheeler plays defense as a center. Its like he's trying just as hard without the puck in our end and he cares. I love Scheif but Mark is just too passive and he cheats for offense too much in our own zone.

Helle just keeps kicking ass and making it look easy. In a pretty sloppy game he matched Gibby save for save.

Thrilled with the results in the standings for the team this year to date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad