Post-Game Talk: Happy 85th b'day, Auntie Anne! Jets beat Ducks 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can't believe all the criticism of Poolman. I thought he had a good game.

He turned the puck over about 4 times through the middle of the ice. One resulted in what would have been a point blank chance had Morrissey not made a good defensive play. Another turn over on a fanned breakout attempt lead to the sustained pressure that ultimately lead to their first goal.

He did some good things in the offensive zone and was ok in his own end but he turned the puck over quite a bit and he shouldnt be immune to criticism for it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I say this not to take the Wings lightly but to express my abject confusion at how far they've fallen, but holy **** I can't believe the Wings have nine consecutive regulation losses, never mind 11 losses in a row.

They've been clinging to the top edge of the cliff for several years. They finally fell off. It was bound to happen.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He turned the puck over about 4 times through the middle of the ice. One resulted in what would have been a point blank chance had Morrissey not made a good defensive play. Another turn over on a fanned breakout attempt lead to the sustained pressure that ultimately lead to their first goal.

He did some good things in the offensive zone and was ok in his own end but he turned the puck over quite a bit and he shouldnt be immune to criticism for it.

I guess I just noticed his good plays. Of course he shouldn't be immune to criticism. No one is.

Reactions: Jet and Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Shaw had a good game, even got the helmet, but I'm afraid he has to go. Shore and Shaw on the same line is just more than Beyak can handle. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're making it more than I intended. I didn't say he was THE whipping boy, I just said that he didn't get enough credit. And "rage"? Where did you get that? Do you purposely try to stir things up when there shouldn't be any issues? There's no rage. Personally, I'm glad to see him continue to do well.

He gets a lot of credit around here. But he certainly isn't above criticism.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It feels so weird to have missed the last 3 weeks of games. Someone fill me in. What has transpired over the last few weeks? Are we happy with where we are? Does the team look good? I know I can just look at stats but want to get a good idea of how we have looked on the ice past couple of weeks.

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing you here.

I think the team has turned a corner. Early season Helle was stealing games. Now he is still playing outstanding goal but the rest of the team is catching up.

It is better team D and the splitting up of Scheifele and Wheeler. But it is also unexpectedly good D play from Pionk, Sbisa and Bitetto.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The team has kinda continued with the same thing they've done since November 1st, IMO.

The occasional total stinker, followed by a few really solid games. Recently they've had a few really bad 1st periods, followed by very solid 2nd and 3rd periods. Hellebuyck still looks like the best goalie in the league, but he hasn't been peppered to the same extent as earlier in the season.

PP looks pretty bad still, unfortunately. Wheeler is forcing the passes through the middle, and they're getting picked off. Kompon needs to do something, because our line-up shouldn't be among the last in PP% in the league. PK has looked pretty good after October, IMO.

1st line looks really good offensively, but they get stuck in the defensive zone sometimes, mostly when they're on the ice with the third pairing I've felt. Scheifele was demoted to 3rd line W against Dallas, and has really picked up the pace since.

2nd line looks good period. Unlike his first stint as C, Wheeler is not just staying afloat in the role, but is looking really solid between Ehlers and Roslovic. Roslovic plays a bit more like Ehlers, quick and slippery. Ehlers has simply been terrific.

3rd line looks good, as expected with a third line of Lowry, Copp and Perreault. Not great offensively, but they'll carry the play against first lines fairly often.

4th line still isn't trusted by Maurice. Hopefully that changes when Apples gets back, as this current trajectory won't do it in the long term.

44-3 has looked better, mostly because I think Morrissey has started playing better. Poolman isn't a first pairing D-man by any means, but apart from when he's throwing pizzas in his own zone, they're doing alright.

5-4 has looked really good, almost certainly just because of Pionk. He's really coming into his own, skating away from trouble and setting us up with speed with his outlet passes. He's using his stick more in the defensive zone too. He reminds me of a young Enström. Sbisa is realistically being dragged kicking and screaming by a great Pionk, but he doesn't screw up too badly.

2-88 simply isn't getting it done. Bitetto isn't an NHL D-man, and Beaulieu isn't good enough to carry Bitetto even on the third pairing.

Hellebuyck has a stranglehold on the Vezina. Not much else to say. He's giving us a chance to win every single game he plays. Brossoit isn't looking as bad as he did earlier in the year. He kept us in the recent Kings game until the team decided to start playing hockey.

Great summary! :thumbu:

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
They have serious problems on PP1 to enter the O zone. It really seems weird that Pionk is the main puck carrier and attackers have to slow down in order to wait him to cross the blue line. Then he throws it in the corner and attackers don’t have the speed to beat the D.

Puck must be in better control if D carries it in or then attackers must dump it in with some speed to beat the D. It just can’t work with D as a carrier if he dumps it into corner.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It feels so weird to have missed the last 3 weeks of games. Someone fill me in. What has transpired over the last few weeks? Are we happy with where we are? Does the team look good? I know I can just look at stats but want to get a good idea of how we have looked on the ice past couple of weeks.
The big story over the past few weeks has been Wheeler's stellar play at 2C. He's stabilized the forward group and created an effective second line.

Also, the Lowry line with Copp and Perreault has been in beast mode.

D is still a patchwork, but Pionk has been terrific.

Hellebuyck at Vezina level.

Reactions: DashingDane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad