Post-Game Talk: Happy 85th b'day, Auntie Anne! Jets beat Ducks 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts...

27-26-28 - Strong game all around. Ehlers and Roslovic were motoring, and Wheeler was driving the bus at both ends. What a great "2nd line".

81-55-29 - They did their thing on offense, but they were a terrible mess in their own zone. Casual, poor breakouts. 55 and 81 need to work as hard in the D zone as they do at the other end.

9-17-85 - What a great 3rd line. They just stifle the other team's top lines, and it's nice when they pot a goal. Copp continues an outstanding season and Lowry is back to beast mode. Perreault gives them some zip, and somehow figured how to stop taking dumb penalties.

46-61-38 - Best 4th line game in a long time. Shore plays a smart game and reacts faster than Gus. Shaw was better than he's been.

44-3 Still think Morrissey has more to give. Poolman isn't smooth, but he makes a mark in all zones with his speed, size and intensity, and he's got some puck skills. He's not a top pairing D, but he's had a good year.

5-4 My goodness Pionk had a terrific game. Fast, smart, aggressive. He's been a key player. Best Jets' D this year, and it's not very close. Sbisa was okay, but Pionk makes the game easy for his partner.

2-88 Yikes. They try hard but both really struggle with the puck.

Hellebuyck with another terrific game. He handled a lot of tough traffic, not to mention all the "timely saves".

I have to give Maurice some plaudits today. This Jets' team has been consistently ready to play hard, and the system is working well enough with what is probably the NHL's weakest D.

Also, Wheeler is quietly having a terrific season, despite much lower offensive production. He's stabilized the lineup with his outstanding play at 2C.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good win , hey Lurch scored today :scared:Scheif with another great game , what a save by Helly with no stick . I want Laine scoring goals but man can he pass the puck . :amazed: Poolman gave the puck away way too many times but he's allowed to have a bad game once in while .

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
44-3 Still think Morrissey has more to give. Poolman isn't smooth, but he makes a mark in all zones with his speed, size and intensity, and he's got some puck skills. He's not a top pairing D, but he's had a good year.

5-4 My goodness Pionk had a terrific game. Fast, smart, aggressive. He's been a key player. Best Jets' D this year, and it's not very close. Sbisa was okay, but Pionk makes the game easy for his partner.

2-88 Yikes. They try hard but both really struggle with the puck.
I touched on this in the GDT. Pionk is arguably our best D-man while playing with partners who are nowhere near top 4 D-men. He has been nothing short of terrific.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I like the way this team bonds. Recognizes its unsung heroes. Dahlstrom got the helmet after sitting for weeks, playing one game, that was a bit of struggle, but still made a play or two. But I think he was appreciated. Shaw may have played his last game as a regular, as Apples comes back. Played well, not outstanding, but got appreciation from the team. That's a good gesture. I honestly don't think the team has ever been this tight, and that's winning them a lot of games.

Of course good goaltending wins you games too, and the Jets got that. Finally got a PP marker, I was shocked that the PK left Scheif so open, they had cut that seam off all game, making the 1st PP unit look stagnant, without any rotation. I love that the first 2 goals we scored had each player on the ice touch the puck. That's a big change in how we play this year.
Copp-Lowry-Perreault were the drivers for me, they turned momentum around every shift.

The defense, well looking at it objectively really what we have is a good 1-2 punch is Morrissey-Pionk and then a lot of what would be considered 5,6,7 guys in a lineup.

Liked Beaulieu stepping up with the big shot block at the end, to the seal the game. He looked better in his 2nd game. Bitetto actually made a few good pivots this game, and has the uncanny ability to know how to play big in a fire drill. Poolman had some very strong moments, but he also has some questionable moments with the puck. Morrissey and Pionk were very good again.

Winning is fun.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
18-10-2 is a damn good record with all the player turnover and injures , Helly is playing lights out but so are a number of players game in and game out . Maurice and his assistant coaches are also doing a whale of a job too . :nod:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Good home win on a cold and sleepy Sunday afternoon. I think it's time for me to have a nap, but before I do I'll give that game a satisfying 3.5 out of 5 Rad Jets Guys!

WOOO! WOOOOO!! WOOOOOOOOT!!!

JN21RtT.gif
NalzJvc.gif
NalzJvc.gif
NalzJvc.gif
Oh ya :bday:Happy Birthday:hbday:
Auntie Anne:party:

Reactions: hn777 and jefferoni

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh ya :bday:Happy Birthday:hbday:
Auntie Anne:party:
For anyone wondering what the title of this thread means... in the middle of the TSN3 broadcast Beyak wished his Auntie Anne from Winnipegosis a happy 85th birthday. It was so strange (even for Beyak) that it stuck in my head and decided to come out when I created this thread. :laugh:

Last edited:

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
18-10-2 is a damn good record with all the player turnover and injures , Helly is playing lights out but so are a number of players game in and game out . Maurice and his assistant coaches are also doing a whale of a job too . :nod:
Yep gotta make hay while the sun shines. Bank these points because who knows what’s coming down the line...and yes I’ve always been a pessimist.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
For anyone wondering what the title of this thread means... in the middle of the TSN3 broadcast Beyak wished his Auntie Anne from Winnipegosis a happy 85th birthday. It was so strange (even for Beyak) that it stuck in my head and decided to come out when I created this thread. :laugh:
Oh that Yak Yak what a sweetie!:yo:

Reactions: jefferoni

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Or Wheeler could just be really good at hockey?
Hey, I've been one of his biggest fans since he first was traded to Atlanta... but his being above average at faceoffs? I just expect players who have taken faceoffs for years and years in the NHL to be better at it!

He does have really good hand-eye coordination though, so maybe faceoffs just aren't things you can practice to become good at as much as I thought.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Hey, I've been one of his biggest fans since he first was traded to Atlanta... but his being above average at faceoffs? I just expect players who have taken faceoffs for years and years in the NHL to be better at it!

He does have really good hand-eye coordination though, so maybe faceoffs just aren't things you can practice to become good at as much as I thought.

I'm afraid I'm still very much considering the possibility that he is just hot right now. Faceoff skill manifests itself in very tiny edges. Best versus average is about a 55-45 favorite; best versus worst, about 60-40. Very, very easy for Wheeler to be running hot right now.

Which, let me be emphatic, I will absolutely take :DD

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Small market team:sarcasm::help:

Reactions: jefferoni

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
A few people calling out Poolman for a bad game. I have to disagree. I think he had a good game. Did a very good job in the o-zone had a few mistakes in the d-zone, but overall was good. I thought the Beaulieu-Bitetto pairing was a mess. I didn’t like their play couldn’t move the puck and were a mess positionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad