Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks for painting me with that brush Chief. Why don't you step down of you high horse for a second. Seems like you want to see yourself as the only level headed Canuck fan around.

So Hansen had a cheap shot in maybe one of the most embarrassing emotional games of his career and now he's a dirty player. Oh and all Canuck fans that don't see it your way are stereotypical homers? This about right?

No but a lot of them are and our media doesn't help by feeding into their "the world is against us" mentality.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
To me he's a dirty player. He's not suspendable/get him out of the league level dirty but he takes little cheap shots when he can. It's just "Jannik being Jannik." Him jumping and nailing Hossa in the back of the head didn't surprise me one bit. I still love him as a player and he needs that edge but let's not act like we'd be surprised if he did it on purpose.

Completely agree. The whining and hand-wringing in this thread is silly, and it makes legitimate complaining about poor officiating standards look a lot more like crying wolf.

I'm happy he only got 1 game. Next time he does something like that he'll get 3-5.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
No but a lot of them are and our media doesn't help by feeding into their "the world is against us" mentality.

Hansen isn't a dirty player, but he is a chippy player, there is a difference. If plays like this continue to happen and become a pattern then he is a dirty player, but if they are once in a blue moon occurances then he's not dirty just chippy and hard nosed.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Completely agree. The whining and hand-wringing in this thread is silly, and it makes legitimate complaining about poor officiating standards look a lot more like crying wolf.

I'm happy he only got 1 game. Next time he does something like that he'll get 3-5.

I agree. The shoe may be on the other foot the next time and one of our guys gets injured. My big complaint is that the stars seem to get a different treatment from Shannahan but I can sympathize with him somewhat as it's tougher to suspend the guys the fans pay to see play. I think he's making an attempt to cut down on headshots and that benefits all teams.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'm not saying Hansen's an angel, and he's certainly towed the line on a few occasions in the past. But I legitimately feel there was no intent on that play - he was reaching for the puck and his arm incidentally made contact with Hossa's head. Unfortunate, but an accident, IMO.

He may have initially intended to go for the puck, but he seemed to change his objective when it became clear he had no chance of getting it. His arm trajectory isn't upward to the puck, it follows through into Hossa. He's a professional athlete: his coordination isn't that bad.

As I've said, I think he was trying to push Hossa in the back/shoulder and missed, but I don't really care what he was trying to do. It was reckless and he was dinged for it.

NHL got this one right. Rather than complain that they finally got one right when they get so many others wrong, I'll just tip my hat and hope they're better moving forward.

Edit: and the conspiracy theories against Hossa are pretty dumb. Did he even play another shift? Why would he take himself out of a close game against a rival where he's the best player on the ice just to hopefully get a one game suspension for Hansen? I think some of you see black(hawk) helicopters when you look out the window :laugh:

Last edited:

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Marian Hossa is back at practice and could be playing for the hawks friday. What a diver.:sarcasm:

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
This is being up in arms just for the sake of being up in arms. What do you want to happen? Brendan Shanahan to retroactively suspend people that Colin Campbell didn't suspend?

No it's being up in arms for the sake of highlighting the double standard this league employs.

That is a suspension from Shanahan, is that even in the same league in terms of intent and malice as the Hansen hit?

how about that?

and this?

All these are 1 game suspensions handed out by Mr.Shanahan, all of them IMO are worse than Hansen's in terms of intent and force delivered.

Here's 1 more from your man Shanahan, if this is only a fine than Hansen is an angel.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
I agree. The shoe may be on the other foot the next time and one of our guys gets injured. My big complaint is that the stars seem to get a different treatment from Shannahan but I can sympathize with him somewhat as it's tougher to suspend the guys the fans pay to see play. I think he's making an attempt to cut down on headshots and that benefits all teams.

No..they don't. The Sedins have taken a lot worse than this and no one even bats an eye. It is this sort of BS double standard crap that I hate.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
No it's being up in arms for the sake of highlighting the double standard this league employs.

That is a suspension from Shanahan, is that even in the same league in terms of intent and malice as the Hansen hit?

how about that?

and this?

All these are 1 game suspensions handed out by Mr.Shanahan, all of them IMO are worse than Hansen's in terms of intent and force delivered.

Here's 1 more from your man Shanahan, if this is only a fine than Hansen is an angel.

The sum up your argument, you seem to believe that bad precedents should continue forever, and that anyone who thinks this suspension was fine is on Team Shanahan and agrees with everything he does.

Seems reasonable... :sarcasm:

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
No..they don't. The Sedins have taken a lot worse than this and no one even bats an eye. It is this sort of BS double standard crap that I hate.

The NHL doesn't give a **** about the Sedins. They made that perfectly clear in the SCF. I still remember that 10 minute unsportsmanlike conduct that dan sedin got after marchand repeatedly punched him in the face. Apparently all dan sedin said was something similar to 'when were you going to make the call? after the 5th punch?' it was something like that. Yet doughty can have a complete temper tantrum whenever he wants and nothing happens. So sick of biased/corrupt /incompetent officials. They are the biggest problem in this league.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The problem with the Sedins is that they are pretty durable. If you consider that a problem. Unless you're hurt you don't get the suspensions. The amount of abuse they take every game amazes me. Maybe if I watched the Penguins regularly I'd see the same thing with Crosby and Malkin but I think that so much of the Sedins game is possession along the boards that they are easier targets.
The biggest difference I see is that the Canucks don't retaliate when their stars are abused. I don't really like the approach of turning the other cheek and beating them on the powerplay. That's why longer term I hope Kassian can play on that line. The Sedins are superstars and there should be a price to be paid when other teams run them.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The problem with the Sedins is that they are pretty durable. If you consider that a problem. The amount of abuse they take every game amazes me. Maybe if I watched the Penguins regularly I'd see the same thing with Crosby and Malkin but I think that so much of the Sedins game is possession along the boards that they are easier targets.
The biggest difference I see is that the Canucks don't retaliate when their stars are abused. I don't really like the approach of turning the other cheek and beating them on the powerplay. That's why longer term I hope Kassian can play on that line. The Sedins are superstars and there should be a price to be paid when other teams run them.
This might be terrible to say, but I think part of the problem lies with the Sedins. They get pushed and pushed and just stand there and take it for the most part. I obviously dont want any of them to fight, but at least protect yourself from getting punched in the face. The officials only do something when you make a scene and stand up for yourself. You need to make a damn huge scene when someone is harrassing you. Instead, the sedins are bosses and just act like it doesn't bother them. They are extremely tough and take a lot of abuse, but they need to make a scene when they are being harrassed. Having one tough guy around while they just stand there won't do that much. They need to stand up for themselves a bit more. I honestly think it demoralized the team a bit when they saw dan sedin getting punched in the face like that by marchand. If they seemed pissed off, blocked and pushed back a bit, i think it could rally the team behind them.

Also, in the scf, the sedins counted on the refs to call penalties, but that was a piss-poor strategy on their part. the refs always put the whistle away as the series progress. that's not the sedins fault but it is what it is. must adapt to the incompetent and/or biased officiating.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Couturier gave Malkin about 15 cross checks in a row last night on one shift and Malkin wound up with the penalty.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Couturier gave Malkin about 15 cross checks in a row last night on one shift and Malkin wound up with the penalty.

I wonder how Gretzky would do in today's NHL. When he played if you touched him you had to face Semenko or one of the other tough guys. Now you have Crosby being concussed twice in the span of a few games. I'm not saying it's better or worse but the Art Ross now usually goes to whomever among the star players can stay healthy for the year.
It's amazing that Henrik Sedin has not missed a game given how many of the other top players have missed huge stretches.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Marian Hossa is back at practice and could be playing for the hawks friday. What a diver.:sarcasm:
Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph
#canucks Hansen when told Hossa skated today and may play tomorrow. "Doesn't surprise me. But that's all I should probably say."

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He may have initially intended to go for the puck, but he seemed to change his objective when it became clear he had no chance of getting it. His arm trajectory isn't upward to the puck, it follows through into Hossa. He's a professional athlete: his coordination isn't that bad.

As I've said, I think he was trying to push Hossa in the back/shoulder and missed, but I don't really care what he was trying to do. It was reckless and he was dinged for it.

NHL got this one right. Rather than complain that they finally got one right when they get so many others wrong, I'll just tip my hat and hope they're better moving forward.

But they won't change their standards, so this is a random one off which will carry no precedent. Plug on star, star lays on the ice, looks bad on TV - Shannahan gets the message something must be seen to be done. If Hansen laid out Hossa by driving his head into a wall at full steam, the way Chara laid out Pacioretty, we wouldn't be seeing Hansen again this year. We wouldn't see Hansen for the next 20 games if he pulled a Duncan Keith on Hossa. Nor should we, yet they were dealt with differently.

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking the NHL has double standards, it has no standards. Whenever the league wants to make/not make a decision it pulls out the "intent" card to allow it to do whatever the hell it wants. "Lucic did you mean to hit Miller? " "No, it was a total accident" "no intent you say? case dismissed". Shannahan accepted Keith's explanation it wasn't intentional just careless.................. "No intent Duncan, sure we can work with that"

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Alot of people on this board will know i would be the first to critisize and I am not a homer (although I love this team)

that being said, I've been around hockey for a LONG time on all levels.

That was absolutely not suspension worthy. both guys go up for a puck, and arms flail. Its equivalent to 2 soccer players going up for a header, and heads bump.

Also ShanaBAN was incorrect saying that Hansen 'closed' his hand and 'turned his body'. Thats a lot to think about and do in the span of 1 second.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
In case anyone forgot:

On the dirty hits scale that's pretty soft, he just knocked the guy down. Neither guy had much speed, he didn't take the head, it wasn't overly dangerous. If someone wanted to build a case around Hansen being a dirty player and that was the worst they could find, they don't have much of a case.

I'm more annoyed watching guys like Tarasenko and Landeskog get taken out with legal headshots. Brown's blindside on Henrik in the playoffs was far more dangerous (faster, harder and Henrik was unable to defend himself) but technically legal, the best kind of legal.

Last edited:

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
The sum up your argument, you seem to believe that bad precedents should continue forever, and that anyone who thinks this suspension was fine is on Team Shanahan and agrees with everything he does.

Seems reasonable... :sarcasm:

Not what I'm saying at all, I already said the Hansen suspension is fine on the last page (post 466). The post you are quoting is in response to VanEric saying that the double standard only appears because there was 2 different people in charge.

The post you quoted is showing that even under the same official(Shanahan) there is a double standard. The Hansen suspension is perfectly fine, but the videos I posted in post #482 are also 1 game suspensions but are much worse hits.

So how is that they all recieve the same suspension length?

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph
#canucks Hansen when told Hossa skated today and may play tomorrow. "Doesn't surprise me. But that's all I should probably say."

I actually think that was a stupid comment for Hansen to make. I get that he's pissed but the amount of times I've read from fans and now Hansen himself suggesting that Hossa was milking the injury is so stupid. He didn't return to the game and just went through a terrible concussion not too long ago. I think it's pretty darn obvious he wasn't faking it.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I actually think that was a stupid comment for Hansen to make. I get that he's pissed but the amount of times I've read from fans and now Hansen himself suggesting that Hossa was milking the injury is so stupid. He didn't return to the game and just went through a terrible concussion not too long ago. I think it's pretty darn obvious he wasn't faking it.

Hossa's fine. I went to the Dr. Recchi school of medicine. He maybe had a slight little headache, was pissed off because he just had a concussion from torres and decided to stay down to make a big deal about it. If there was any worry, he wouldn't be playing the next few games. People don't lay there like they're dead without moving for that amount of time and then hop back up like that unless they're embellishing.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Hossa's fine. I went to the Dr. Recchi school of medicine. He maybe had a slight little headache, was pissed off because he just had a concussion from torres and decided to stay down to make a big deal about it. If there was any worry, he wouldn't be playing the next few games. People don't lay there like they're dead without moving for that amount of time and then hop back up like that unless they're embellishing.

Yes, Hossa cares so deeply about Hansen getting a 1 game suspension that he sat out the rest of the game just to make sure that happens.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Think that was precautionary move more than anything (re: missing the rest of the game). I wouldn't draw any more conclusions than that.

At least that's what Dr. Recchi told me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad