Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
Looking at it live I didn't really see what happened. Most replays make it look fairly incidental, as if he went up for the puck and then realized at the last minute he couldn't get it. I certainly understand how some people could see a bit more intent, but in my opinion it was completely accidental.

Honestly anyone saying the Hawks had it coming is being a bit of an ass, if it was Keith it would be one thing but Hossa is not a dirty player and in no way deserves a concussion. Even though I hate the Hawks we all know how it sucks to have a star player injured, and even though I don't think think it's comparable to Keith on Sedin you've got to have some sympathy for Chicago. I hope Hossa's OK.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
none.

Seen worse intentional elbows/forearms followed through on a hit along the boards than that.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It was a bad call. Hossa got Torres'd and now his brain is scrambled. Hansen barely touched him in order to get the puck out of the air.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I voted for a cookie. His feelings are probably hurt because he's upset that Marian is injured. I know he didn't mean to hurt Marian. Maybe a cookie will make him feel better.

Hope Marian isn't badly injured and is able to come back quickly.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Nothing should happen.

I have all the sympathy in the world for Hossa. I have absolutely zero sympathy for Chicago. They can go **** themselves.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Fine. I think he should've stayed in the box for 5 mins or been thrown out. But it doesn't warrant further discipline.

I honestly feel bad for Hossa; he's gotten the **** end of the stick when it comes to injuries. But there was no intention from Hansen to strike him. If anything, the league's lack of action wrt Cooke slicing Karlsson shows that if there's no intent then there won't be punishment.

west in the east

Sep 19, 2005
Vancouver
Hope Hossa is ok. As I said in the PGT, if Hossa is concussed off that inoccuous of a hit, you have to be concerned about the risk he is taking by continuing to play hockey.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I could see a fine, just because of the player that got hurt and the league trying to cut down on contact with the head. It was a bit exuberant on Hansen's part but pretty clearly unintentional. Was really surprised Hossa went down actually, it didn't seem like significant enough contact to cause anything close to a concussion.

I'm a little worried for Hossa if that's all it takes for him to get knocked out. I mean, the Torres hit was a hell of a whollip but this was pretty innocuous. Hopefully he was just trying to get a call or was a little scared and stayed down as a precaution. Coach Q said he seemed OK after the game so hopefully he doesn't miss anytime. Hate, hate, hate brain injuries.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
At most a fine, probably nothing. I really don't think that was intentional, he was just trying to get the puck.

Hossa is a great player and a class act, I really hope he's okay(him being on my fantasy team notwithstanding).

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
They should rescind the 2 minute minor, it wasn't even a legit penalty IMO. It was just a freak play, there was no intent to injure on that. Nobody likes to see players getting knocked out with concussions.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
A fine for recklessness. It was an accident and he didn't even make contact to the head. It looked like he got Hossa's back.. and maybe neck area?

StringerBell

Fine. I think he should've stayed in the box for 5 mins or been thrown out. But it doesn't warrant further discipline.

I honestly feel bad for Hossa; he's gotten the **** end of the stick when it comes to injuries. But there was no intention from Hansen to strike him. If anything, the league's lack of action wrt Cooke slicing Karlsson shows that if there's no intent then there won't be punishment.

But that was Matt Cooke. Obviously he'll get the benefit of the doubt. Hansen on the other hand? Not sure if a lifetime ban is long enough.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
A fine for recklessness. It was an accident and he didn't even make contact to the head. It looked like he got Hossa's back.. and maybe neck area?

It's got to be worrying for Blackhawks fans that a nothing play like that would re-trigger concussion symptoms for Hossa. It looks like he might not have fully recovered, 9 months later.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
Hawks fan should look at a couple of videos of Keith and his flying elbows. That should help them differentiate between intentional hits and accidental hits.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Heart says nothing, head says a fine since it's Hansen and he plays for the Canucks.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
It's got to be worrying for Blackhawks fans that a nothing play like that would re-trigger concussion symptoms for Hossa. It looks like he might not have fully recovered, 9 months later.

Is he actually having symptoms? If so that's really unfortunate, but you can't just suspended people because the play resulted in an injury. It's hockey for FFS! It's a contact sport. There wasn't anything illegal with the ''hit''.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
a scolding from Yoda:

510bdPu4m4L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN
Vigneault, on if he thinks Hansen will get supplemental discipline for hit on Hossa: "Not a chance." #Blackhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad